Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
A second protest regarding restrictions was held today in sunny HNL:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...state-capitol/
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
When your economy is almost completely dependent on tourism,
I read an article in the Star-Advertiser a few days ago that said tourism accounts only for 20% of Hawaii's economy, though it is its largest industry. I was surprised by the low figure, but a Wikipedia entry also backs this up.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My mistake, Oahu is quite a bit more diversified than Maui, which is my destination of choice. 75% of private sector jobs on Maui are supported by tourism.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...sible-on-maui/
ksucats likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:28 pm

State-level data reveals that tourism and supporting sectors are where most of Hawaii’s jobs are generated. For example, look at the January 2020 figures here: https://www.hiwi.org/admin/gsipub/ht...CES_JC2020.xls. Also: http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/econom...eport_2018.pdf

While not immediately evident, if you dig deep, tourism generates huge impacts on the workforce in transportation of goods throughout the islands, construction and maintenance, financial services, recreation (golf courses, etc.), and much more. Without tourism, we are burnt toast.
ksucats and TheDudeAbides like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
In reading some articles and speaking to my local business colleagues in Hawaii it’s sounding like end of July but with some restrictions tbd
There will definitely not be the summer vacations in Hawaii this summer. I have some much needed work meetings that we’re supposed to happen back in March and some this month i am just trying to be optimistic I will be able to go over one more time in 2020 to take care of everything.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I was just talking with my wife about how nice it would be to go to Maui right now. We would seriously think about 14 days of quarantine in a condo in Wailea, but the dealbreaker for us is no outdoor exercise. That's a shame because it would pose virtually no risk to anyone if we were to run outside or my wife were to swim in the ocean.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I was just talking with my wife about how nice it would be to go to Maui right now. We would seriously think about 14 days of quarantine in a condo in Wailea, but the dealbreaker for us is no outdoor exercise. That's a shame because it would pose virtually no risk to anyone if we were to run outside or my wife were to swim in the ocean.
Just curious: How would you feed yourself if you did decide to come on the quarantine? You do know that one is not allowed to go grocery shopping or to get take out?
Old May 5, 2020, 11:51 am

On the question of "When will Hawaii reopen for tourism," it looks like some options may cease:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/norw...g-concern.html

The article talks about the possibility of NCL cruise line going into bankruptcy. NCL operates "Pride of America" from Honolulu, taking weekly cruises around the islands.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Finkface
Plans in the works to market Hawaii as the ‘safest place on earth’.
Alan Oshima, who was appointed by Gov. David Ige in April as the “navigator” of Hawaii’s stabilization and economic recovery effort, said Thursday he hears from tourism and other industry leaders that “we have one chance to reopen and to re-brand Hawaii as the safest place on earth, and we should do it right.
Ige said Wednesday it will be a while before the state opens up to tourists......”

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ZfY3JoNSKtgFz4
- From reading that article I do not see a plan. After visiting the islands for about 20 times, I do understand the local mentality that it is much better without the tourists. Of course, this is only true if you have some other income. Right now I just doubt that the islands would survive without the tourists. I am also certain that the local government is already planning for even higher taxes and fees on top of what they have in place already. But at the end, there is a competition from Caribbean, Mexico, Costa Rico, etc.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:54 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by Finkface
Plans in the works to market Hawaii as the ‘safest place on earth’.
Alan Oshima, who was appointed by Gov. David Ige in April as the “navigator” of Hawaii’s stabilization and economic recovery effort, said Thursday he hears from tourism and other industry leaders that “we have one chance to reopen and to re-brand Hawaii as the safest place on earth, and we should do it right.

Ige said Wednesday it will be a while before the state opens up to tourists......”

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ZfY3JoNSKtgFz4
Marketing yourself as "the safest place" seems like it's just inviting a PR disaster as soon as anything bad happens (COVID-19 or otherwise).

Kind of like how airlines never advertise or mention themselves as being "the safest airline" or "safer than XXX other airline".
wrp96 and 747FC like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by 747FC
Just curious: How would you feed yourself if you did decide to come on the quarantine? You do know that one is not allowed to go grocery shopping or to get take out?
What we're doing now in Berkeley: grocery delivery and restaurant food delivery. I assume that's available on Maui.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
IHawaii it’s sounding like end of July but with some restrictions tbd.
I'm suppose to be heading out for work (DOD) and the bosses out there are staying Mid-June. Not sure if that's waiverable due to DOD but I'm standing by to hear more any day now.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: AS 75K
Hawaii "phase 1" reopening Thursday 5/7 - https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/...rting-economy/

Honolulu mayor is not happy and wanted to wait another week. I read a story earlier with similar info but governor Ige also talked about the 14-day quarantine (sorry, can't find it now). He talked about it and seemed to express that it is VERY debilitating to the economy and life in general, and said something like he hoped to address it soon. It still sounds like it a ways off but the fact that Ige is at least talking about it is positive (for those of us wanting things to open). I think the inter-island aspect might be lifted first before the whole state opens to everyone.

I hope Ige remembers that before the 14-day quarantine was implemented travel to the islands had already slowed to a crawl. Basically, just because he lifts the quarantine doesn't mean people are going to flood the islands.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
What we're doing now in Berkeley: grocery delivery and restaurant food delivery. I assume that's available on Maui.
Do you realize that the quarantine requires you to stay in your hotel room for 14 days? No using the pool or beach or any other facilities.
cawhite likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you realize that the quarantine requires you to stay in your hotel room for 14 days? No using the pool or beach or any other facilities.
He posted up a bit that he and his wife are willing to endure the quarantine if they could only exercise outside. Since they cannot that is keeping them from coming to Maui.
kimberlyrose likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.