FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2020, 7:16 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by mtofell
It will interesting to see if/when they differentiate residents from tourists as it relates to the 14-day quarantine. I live here much of the time and own property but still maintain my driver's license in my mainland state. Wondering if proof of property ownership would do? I imagine this stuff is still largely in the works and only time will tell.
Are they asking for proof of residence when you arrive (not just proof of where you will stay, and not directed at you, just in general)? You could just 'lose' your drivers license and use your passport as ID when you travel, and 'find' it when you unpack after you arrive. Or just not bring it if you aren't going to drive. Or mail it to yourself in Hawaii before you leave.

Residence is a bit strange to define in the US as there's no mandatory ID or government registry. Some people don't have a drivers licence or state ID card, and others just keep their old out-of-state licences when they move even though they aren't supposed to. And 'official' addresses on ID cards, tax returns, voter registration and other documents don't have to match each other.