Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I picked a crappy year to move to Maui.😄 In fairness it’s really not bad here. I drove the truck to the store today, and had a friend visit.
In my book having a few more things open, and having no/low tourists for a while would be pretty nice for a bit. Economically unsustainable, however, past a few more bailed-out months. But the windward side of O’ahu is pretty pleasant at the moment, especially with the parks open again, I gotta say.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
HI closed for business until a vaccine presents itself??? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and tanking yourself from the inside out? Completely over the top paranoid.
If Hawaii has zero cases of Covid-19 for an extended period, it can declare itself clear. They are possibly less than a month away from that point. Although the mainland is on a decline, there is still significantly more transmission. If that is still the case then opening up Hawaii to tourism from the mainland is certainly putting lives at risk, which is a very difficult call for an elected official, especially given the sacrifices that were made to get to zero cases.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
But the windward side of O’ahu is pretty pleasant at the moment, especially with the parks open again, I gotta say.
As someone who also lives windward - I find it off the charts boring. I don't find anything pleasant about it at all. I agree opening up at the moment wouldn't make sense - but I find it truly awful. We have it far far worse than other West Coast states - if I leave the state to visit someone (which I want to do as my GF lives in CA) - I have to stay In my home and not leave for 14 days including grocery stores upon my return - so no, not pleasant. It's like groundhog day everyday.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If Hawaii has zero cases of Covid-19 for an extended period, it can declare itself clear. They are possibly less than a month away from that point. Although the mainland is on a decline, there is still significantly more transmission. If that is still the case then opening up Hawaii to tourism from the mainland is certainly putting lives at risk, which is a very difficult call for an elected official, especially given the sacrifices that were made to get to zero cases.
Some creative hybrid solution like “bring proof of a negative covid test done within 48 hours, otherwise you get one on arrival and we quarantine you (for real) until the result comes back” would seem to be a reasonable middle ground to take the risk down a few notches. Hawaii is the only state actually enforcing its 14-day quarantine for new arrivals, and is getting better at it.

Its not perfect as some could slip through, but there will always be risk from air crews, military, returning residents, and others who would be likely excepted-out of any system anyway.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As someone who also lives windward - I find it off the charts boring. I don't find anything pleasant about it at all.
After spending last few years on United planes every other week (or more) and making GS for the first time, a bit of “at home” time with the best weather on earth in a quiet place is nice. Tomorrow you can golf and get your car washed.. who know maybe a haircut will be allowed sometime soon. Island time .... But yeah if you have family-related travel needs, that ruins it!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Agree that the islands will have to open to tourism, at least to some degree, in the next few months. Many of the unemployed here haven't even been able to get their unemployment claims paid out due to technical problems.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As recent postings have gone off into a general discussion of tourism in Hawaii and/or the local government's responsive and far from UA travel related, will move this to the Hawaii forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As recent postings have gone off into a general discussion of tourism in Hawaii and/or the local government's responsive and far from UA travel related, will move this to the Hawaii forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Thanks.

David
Old May 1, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I just booked a trip for my family in late July that I am hope I don't have to cancel. We will just go to Florida or somewhere else with a beach if we can't. My rental condo can be canceled with no penalty 2 weeks prior to our stay and our flights are fully refundable, so there is no risk for me at this point. We saved our $2400 stimulus money to spend on a vacation to help the travel and tourism industry out. That money will be spent on food/drinks/activities somewhere. We plan to spend that on top of the money we would normally spend on vacation, so we should be able to go all out (by our standards).
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ksucats
I just booked a trip for my family in late July that I am hope I don't have to cancel. We will just go to Florida or somewhere else with a beach if we can't. My rental condo can be canceled with no penalty 2 weeks prior to our stay and our flights are fully refundable, so there is no risk for me at this point. We saved our $2400 stimulus money to spend on a vacation to help the travel and tourism industry out. That money will be spent on food/drinks/activities somewhere. We plan to spend that on top of the money we would normally spend on vacation, so we should be able to go all out (by our standards).
July is optimistic, but hopefully you will be able to go. I would recommend making some backup reservations soon as options may get booked out.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/04/co...ont-open-soon/
Old May 1, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
July is optimistic, but hopefully you will be able to go. I would recommend making some backup reservations soon as options may get booked out.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/04/co...ont-open-soon/
Thank you. I am not too worried about backup reservations as we will be completely flexible where we go. If Hawaii doesn't start to open in June, then I will start looking.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
At least on Maui, golf courses opened up today.
Boraxo, ksucats and DELee like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
At least on Maui, golf courses opened up today.
Too bad they didn't wait until Monday.

David
Old May 1, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Plans in the works to market Hawaii as the ‘safest place on earth’.
Alan Oshima, who was appointed by Gov. David Ige in April as the “navigator” of Hawaii’s stabilization and economic recovery effort, said Thursday he hears from tourism and other industry leaders that “we have one chance to reopen and to re-brand Hawaii as the safest place on earth, and we should do it right.

Ige said Wednesday it will be a while before the state opens up to tourists......”

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ZfY3JoNSKtgFz4
Old May 1, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Finkface
Plans in the works to market Hawaii as the ‘safest place on earth’.
Alan Oshima, who was appointed by Gov. David Ige in April as the “navigator” of Hawaii’s stabilization and economic recovery effort, said Thursday he hears from tourism and other industry leaders that “we have one chance to reopen and to re-brand Hawaii as the safest place on earth, and we should do it right.

Ige said Wednesday it will be a while before the state opens up to tourists......”

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ZfY3JoNSKtgFz4
I wasn't aware that a new marketing strategy was going to be necessary to get tourists to return to the islands. Here's a great plan..... Lift the quarantine!

Ige is such a clown..... his actions and dialogue through this whole thing have been too late, too harsh and very often contradictory. For example, the stay-at-home order was just extended thru May 31st yet golf courses were opened today..... So, am I supposed to golf from my couch?
ksucats likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.