Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Is there information on how this is going for people arriving at ITO?
I have a UA flight to HNL with a connection an hour later on HA from HNL-ITO. Will I be able to get the arrival test at ITO (mid-November) based on current protocols and understanding that things may change between now and then?
It's better at ITO because there are significantly fewer passengers. Because of the interisland quarantine restriction, ITO is seeing just a handful passengers because there's no mainland flighrs there. And because ITO testing is being done in ther large "waiting room" inside away from the gates, it's all air conditioned.

The only thing you need to watch out for is the evolution of the interisland quarantine rules. Hawaii Island submitted a draft to the state on Friday, but Im not sure how well it'll be received. Based on what happens with non-trans- Pacific interisland travelers, the set-up at ITO could be different next month.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I agree that that statement in the wiki is somewhat loosely written. Support for your test timings can also be found in another one of the Hawaii Covid FAQs:
Now corrected.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
No, I dont.
I sent you a PM.

Time for another $25 bet to benefit a local charity. For those keeping score, I donated $25 to the Hawaii Food Bank on my last challenge to Weatherboy. I offered a case of Longboard, but instead donated an equivalent amount to the food bank.

-David
mtofell likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:11 pm

This reinforces my stance to not visit until the pandemic is largely contained and/or vaccine is widely available. I don’t mean to antagonize locals, but even my friends in Hawaii have little confidence in their leaders to not make a mess of this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:57 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
A bit shocking to here even 4 cases ended up getting through. I only hope this doesn't derail things going forward. Has to be a big hassle for local authorities. All my people got in OK but no had less than a 2.5 hour wait at KOA. No one was allowed to leave and return later for testing.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but ANYONE can get on a flight (with intention to just quarantine...maybe residents?) and just opt to test upon arrival, yes? Thus, people slip through the cracks and in the meantime infect passengers. I see nothing about it being REQUIRED to test EVEN IF you opt to quarantine. It's a real stupid thing if true.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I have a Lax-HNL on HA in Nov. I looked into rebooking Lax-Ogg but was outrageous so my question is if I keep my original flight and just buy a separate inter island HNL-OGG for that day I can bypass the quarantine issue ? I would be staying airside in HNL
if I check a bag not sure if Ha will check all the way thru in Lax since it’s separate tixs I imagine they would but who knows ...
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but ANYONE can get on a flight (with intention to just quarantine...maybe residents?) and just opt to test upon arrival, yes? Thus, people slip through the cracks and in the meantime infect passengers. I see nothing about it being REQUIRED to test EVEN IF you opt to quarantine. It's a real stupid thing if true.
If you don't participate in the pre-travel test and are ready to quarantine for 2 weeks, you can skip the second test on Hawaii. But you still need to wait in line to get your QR code scanned and temperature taken. Through that process, they square away your quarantine details so you can be tracked.

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I have a Lax-HNL on HA in Nov. I looked into rebooking Lax-Ogg but was outrageous so my question is if I keep my original flight and just buy a separate inter island HNL-OGG for that day I can bypass the quarantine issue ? I would be staying airside in HNL
if I check a bag not sure if Ha will check all the way thru in Lax since it’s separate tixs I imagine they would but who knows ...
I wouldn't do that. While rules continue to evolve, you run the risk of leaving the sterile area to claim your bags and then attempt to check-in for an interisland flight which would require its own 72 hour before depature test, separate QR code and unique test upload, and/or 14 day quarantine at OGG without the test.

The premium of buying the through ticket saves you that hassle, protects you in irrops, and protects you from unnecessary quarantine.

While I would buy separate tickets to save $$$ before, I would never do it nowadays.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 20, 2020 at 4:49 am Reason: consecutive posts merged; multi-quote should be used
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I wouldn't do that. While rules continue to evolve, you run the risk of leaving the sterile area to claim your bags and then attempt to check-in for an interisland flight which would require its own 72 hour before depature test, separate QR code and unique test upload, and/or 14 day quarantine at OGG without the test.

The premium of buying the through ticket saves you that hassle, protects you in irrops, and protects you from unnecessary quarantine.

While I would buy separate tickets to save $$$ before, I would never do it nowadays.
yea usually do buy one tix but now it’s $1799 for the non stop to OGG or $1415 for the flight thru HNL (I paid $599 some time ago to HNL)
I maybe just do carry on then and won’t be any issues I think or ship a box ahead to my client if I need more than my carry on
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Does anyone have any insight on how the wait times vary across arrival banks at KOA? I've got some flexibility on my trip next week and am trying to figure out whether the mid-afternoon arrival bank or the late-evening is likely to lead to less of a wait. Loads on the late flights are lighter, but if the previous bank of flights has not yet cleared the terminal, could be a long night... (For those toward the pointy end of the plane I would expect their wait is likely to be less dictated by their own flights than the loads of those proceeding it.)
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:00 am
formerly wunderpit

If you don't participate in the pre-travel test and are ready to quarantine for 2 weeks, you can skip the second test on Hawaii. But you still need to wait in line to get your QR code scanned and temperature taken. Through that process, they square away your quarantine details so you can be tracked.
Fatal flaw in this program. QR code and temp check does nothing for all of the exposed passengers over a 5 hour flight. Pretty sure this is for every island.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Fatal flaw in this program. QR code and temp check does nothing for all of the exposed passengers over a 5 hour flight. Pretty sure this is for every island.
You're right; that's what the masks are for.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:34 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by Erasmus
You're right; that's what the masks are for.
I'll go with this as sarcasm. Maybe the state will realize that it's more of a hassle to let people opt to quarantine than to require negative covid for ALL travelers. Then at least there will be less tracing working. No, the tests will never be perfect, but I'm guessing some of those jokers will be stopped from stepping foot on the plane.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:51 am

Maybe the state will realize that it's more of a hassle to let people opt to quarantine than to require negative covid for ALL travelers.
The state cannot simply require COVID tests for all travelers. This would require a mandate at the federal level.

Until such time, the states and airlines are attempting to manipulate the restrictions / requirements within their power to provide a safer travel environment. It’s far from perfect, so each of us must consider our own health and safety precautions when deciding whether to travel or not.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by BeachRat
The state cannot simply require COVID tests for all travelers. This would require a mandate at the federal level.

Until such time, the states and airlines are attempting to manipulate the restrictions / requirements within their power to provide a safer travel environment. It’s far from perfect, so each of us must consider our own health and safety precautions when deciding whether to travel or not.
I think you are wrong here. The State can implement public health measures including quarantine for those in Hawaii. It may not be able to require an invasive test like a nasal swab due to constitutional constraints. It certainly cannot prevent people from boarding a plane or boat and arriving in Hawaii.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:25 pm

Anyone try submitting a PCR test from a non-approved vendor? There were rumors the Gov would accept other vendors at the beginning of this program, but haven't heard anything since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.