Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Governor's announcement today:

They're making changes because 57% of the population of Hawaii has at least 1 dose, and just under 50% of the state have completed their vaccinations. With few new cases and low hospitalizations, they're making some COVID policy changes through a new emergency measure signed today:

-Effective immediately, the mask mandate is lifted for outdoor activities state-wide. Groups are still encouraged to wear masks.
-The indoor mask mandate remains and will remain in effect indefinitely.

Starting on June 1, the ban on ocean sports competitions will be lifted. This means events for surfing, canoe paddling, and swimming can be done again.

The Governor also granted changes to local policies/restrictions on Oahu and Kauai.

The Governor plans to modify the Safe Travels program next month, giving quarantine exemptions to Hawaii state residents that were completely vaccinated in Hawaii.

There are no immediate plans to allow others who received their vaccines outside of Hawaii to be exempted from the quarantine program. However, that will be re-visited later this summer.

It wouldn't surprise me if vaccinated mainland travelers could fly to Hawaii without testing or quarantine programs by September.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

They're making changes because 57% of the population of Hawaii has at least 1 dose, and just under 50% of the state have completed their vaccinations. With few new cases and low hospitalizations, they're making some COVID policy changes through a new emergency measure signed today:

-Effective immediately, the mask mandate is lifted for outdoor activities state-wide. Groups are still encouraged to wear masks.

Starting on June 1, the ban on ocean sports competitions will be lifted. This means events for surfing, canoe paddling, and swimming can be done again.

The Governor also granted changes to local policies/restrictions on Oahu and Kauai.

The Governor plans to modify the Safe Travels program next month, giving quarantine exemptions to Hawaii state residents that were completely vaccinated in Hawaii.

There are no immediate plans to allow others who received their vaccines outside of Hawaii to be exempted from the quarantine program. However, that will be re-visited later this summer.

It wouldn't surprise me if vaccinated mainland travelers could fly to Hawaii without testing or quarantine programs by September.
Half the people were not even wearing mask outside anyway during my trip to Hawaii last week so that is a great change! I’d assume the mask mandate will still apply to the outdoor Kona Airport (TSA federal rules trump state requirements).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Thanks WB, will not everything I would like hear but a good step in the right direction. I hope accepting the vacs card starts earlier than Sept, the 72 hour test thing is definitely getting old and tiresome for me.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:10 pm

So if I read you correctly, I can get tested in AMS prior to leaving...get a rapid test at SEATAC...and assuming negative fly to Hawaii and not have to quarantine? I am flying DL.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by happy10345
So if I read you correctly, I can get tested in AMS prior to leaving...get a rapid test at SEATAC...and assuming negative fly to Hawaii and not have to quarantine? I am flying DL.
Yes, as long as your get your negative test results and upload them at SEATAC prior to boarding time. If you fly into OGG/ITO/KOA, you would still be subject to a possible 2nd airport test upon arrival if you're arriving before the islands discontinue their tests.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
He previously said he legally can't do something different for trans-Pacific travelers based on where they got their vaccinations and must treat all the same.
Based on his announcement today am I interpreting correctly that he is in fact going to differentiate the quarantine rules differently for Hawaii residents that were vaccinated here?

"The Governor plans to modify the Safe Travels program next month, giving quarantine exemptions to Hawaii state residents that were completely vaccinated in Hawaii."
Old May 25, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by happy10345
Yes just give yourselves about 4-5 hours layover in Seattle. The Discover Health testing in SEA airport offers the Abbot ID Now rapid test with results in 90 mins for $196 and you must have the results either uploaded or in hand before your flight leaves Seattle or you must quarantine for 10 days upon arrival in Hawaii.
Old May 25, 2021, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Based on his announcement today am I interpreting correctly that he is in fact going to differentiate the quarantine rules differently for Hawaii residents that were vaccinated here?

"The Governor plans to modify the Safe Travels program next month, giving quarantine exemptions to Hawaii state residents that were completely vaccinated in Hawaii."
It sounds like he's going to rest on the technicality of only having access to Hawaii vaccinations. So if you're a nonresident who happened to get vaccinated here, you may be golden.

But even so, I was disappointed of his timeline. I was expecting most restrictions to go away now or in the next 2 weeks considering the collapse of mainland restrictions. The fact that Puerto Rico dropped their testing/quarantine program today made me think HI would do the same.
Old May 26, 2021, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It sounds like he's going to rest on the technicality of only having access to Hawaii vaccinations. So if you're a nonresident who happened to get vaccinated here, you may be golden.

But even so, I was disappointed of his timeline. I was expecting most restrictions to go away now or in the next 2 weeks considering the collapse of mainland restrictions. The fact that Puerto Rico dropped their testing/quarantine program today made me think HI would do the same.
nope.

David
Old May 26, 2021, 6:58 pm

They need to ditch all inter-island quarantine/testing requirements at a minimum at this point. It seems ridiculous that this is even still in place considering that last summer during the middle of the pandemic their was no quarantine/testing requirements for inter-island travel.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They need to ditch all inter-island quarantine/testing requirements at a minimum at this point. It seems ridiculous that this is even still in place considering that last summer during the middle of the pandemic their was no quarantine/testing requirements for inter-island travel.
But there was also a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone entering Hawaii. There was no test to get out of it. Because of that, transpac arrivals were almost nil and inter island travel was about the same. Not many people were travelling inter island last summer and those who were had already done a mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival or were already in Hawaii and had never left.
nsx and LIH Prem like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
But there was also a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone entering Hawaii. There was no test to get out of it. Because of that, transpac arrivals were almost nil and inter island travel was about the same. Not many people were travelling inter island last summer and those who were had already done a mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival or were already in Hawaii and had never left.
And even with traffic so low, COVID spread significantly through the islands, especially from high profile funerals on Hawaii Island with visitors from Oahu. Which is why they clamped down on it and forced the testing/quarantine program.

At least now residents who were vaccinated in-state can travel freely between islands without any testing or quarantine.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Has anyone had success using the PMG tool for pre-registering via the PMG tool?It does not seem to work for me. After submitting the verification code it displays a log in error.

Old May 29, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
or a local vaccinated at Tripler or the VA, and out of luck. The federally administered vaccines apparently aren’t counted in state data, meaning the %s are a bit higher and the state isn’t able to validate them as they aren’t reported to the state.
Old May 29, 2021, 8:51 am

I was wondering if someone could help me with the Safe Travels website. I have tried searching around this thread and others but haven't seen an answer to this.

We are travelling to Hawaii on 11 June. We are staying in Maui until 15 June, then fly to the Big Island until 19 June, then Kaui to 22 June, after which we fly to Oahu for an overnight before flying out of state. (Yes I realise with all of the testing and whatnot, such island hopping seems crazy but we booked our trip a long time ago and either we go ahead with it or we can cancel alltogether but we can't really modify it at this stage).

As others advised, I starting setting up my trip on the Safe Travels site today. However, I am only given an option to enter my flight to enter Hawaii and then enter the flight for leaving the state. How should I deal with the island hopping? Do I create one trip that includes the flight into Hawaii on the 11th and out of Hawaii on the 23rd, and then create separate one-way trips for the inter-island hopping? Or do I create the 1st trip with the flight from LAX-Maui, with the "return" flight being Maui->Big Island. Then trip 2=Big Island->Kauai, trip 3 is Kaui-Oahu. Trip 4, is just one way (if I can do that), Oahu->JFK?

Also, for reasons too painful to go into, my flight from the Big Island to Kauai connects through Oahu. On the safe travel apps, do I just put the Big Island to Kauai as no one would be checking my forms when changing gates in Oahu.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have one other, more urgent question (which might mean my previous question is moot).

I just happened to read an article about how difficult it is to get an inter-island approved covid test on Maui (other islands aren't a problem and we already have tests booked on the Big Island). We would need to get tested on 12 June to be ready on time for our 15 June flight to the Big Island. But I can't seem to find anywhere to get an appointment. The only option may be CVS but they don't allow you to book this far in advance (and the article I read said that even though the website says it takes 2 days, it can actually take up to 4 since they ship the samples to Oahu).

Does anyone have any hints/tips?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 30, 2021 at 3:09 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.