Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm here on Maui and haven't seen much in the way of protesting and the general sense I get is that locals support keeping outsiders off the island for now. It's worth noting, though, that I haven't been out much other than the grocery store 1-2X a week so I may not be the best barometer. Someone a few posts up pointed out there had been some protests (on Oahu I think).

Maui is largely made up of two populations.... folks with a lot of money who are retired and don't care if tourists ever come back, and service industry workers who NEED to work. I have to think the workers are going to start getting restless. IMO, this is bordering on ridiculous at this point to extend for an entire other month.

I heard/read somewhere that the first step will be to lift the stay-at-home order (June 1st now???) and then phase in things like lifting the 14-day quarantine for arrivals. At this point it's looking like the quarantine for arrivals is going to be in effect far into June. The economy here is going to be absolutely devastated.
I realize my vacation should be the least of everyones concerns but from the look of it, I will 99% have to cancel our July trip to Maui (July 2 - 10). My flights are refundable and hotel has a 2 week cancellation notice so will hold on as long as I can. Hope everyone is safe and we come out of this ok.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Honestly, how do you know that?

Don't know about anybody else but my daughter would rather be out working than collecting unemployment even if she'll pocket more from unemployment with the federal supplement.
Good for her. You have raised her well!
DJ_Iceman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by canuckshark
I realize my vacation should be the least of everyones concerns but from the look of it, I will 99% have to cancel our July trip to Maui (July 2 - 10). My flights are refundable and hotel has a 2 week cancellation notice so will hold on as long as I can. Hope everyone is safe and we come out of this ok.
Not necessarily. Are you worried about restrictions? I'm hoping that Hawaii will lift or modify them by sometime in June.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:54 am

Honestly, how do you know that?
From experience. My wife has an online retail business. Since the stimulus checks were out, she has hundreds of order waiting to ship. People are spending their money from the checks. The problem is that warehouses in California and Florida can't get all their workers back. The owner raises the wages by 25% and still most people don't want to come back as they are safer at home and many of them got more money from unemployment paid. I think safer at home is the primary motive and the money doesn't hurt.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I agree with JNelson a few posts up.... Assuming there is no sudden spike in cases I have to think travel w/o 14-day quarantine will be opened by then.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
... I think safer at home is the primary motive and the money doesn't hurt.
probably both but I actually think the opposite maybe the main driver given throngs of ppl shopping at warehouse home improvement stores now and wondering around the beaches...

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Not necessarily. Are you worried about restrictions? I'm hoping that Hawaii will lift or modify them by sometime in June.
Correct; worried that the self quarantine will continue at which point it makes no sense to fly out.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:53 pm

Correct; worried that the self quarantine will continue at which point it makes no sense to fly out.
Understood. I was hoping to go in early-mid June and still am but that might be a bit early. Let's just see what happens. Fingers crossed that Hawaii decides to reopen by then.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:32 pm

A few days ago when they announced the stay-at-home order was extended through May 31st I was concerned but it sounds like some low-risk businesses might start getting opened up towards the beginning/middle of May.

This is total speculation but I'd guess restaurants open (with strict guidelines about distancing, etc.) on June 1 and the 14-day quarantine ends on June 15th. This is assuming no uptick in the cases and again is just my wild-arse guess.... since I have nothing else to do but sit around and think about these things
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The economy is not going to recover here until tourism returns to some closer to normal level, and I don't see that happening any time soon, and the recovery is going to be slow. (who would risk traveling now or even later?
Well, I'd put my family on a plane to anywhere right now if things were open. I might be on the lunatic fringe, then again I might actually represent the vast majority of people (there's really no way to tell). I think our society has DRASTICALLY overreacted to this virus, and feel a much better approach would have been to quarantine those actually at high risk rather than bring society to a complete halt. So as soon as travel/tourism is an option again, I will be traveling. In fact, I already had to cancel travel plans twice this summer--a European cruise and a two-week visit to Japan. We've now got almost three weeks booked across three islands in Hawaii starting in late June, but are of course waiting to see if that will even be possible. But if the islands are open, we'll be there, bringing our tourist money with us.
JNelson113, Rare, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Well, I'd put my family on a plane to anywhere right now if things were open. I might be on the lunatic fringe, then again I might actually represent the vast majority of people (there's really no way to tell). I think our society has DRASTICALLY overreacted to this virus, and feel a much better approach would have been to quarantine those actually at high risk rather than bring society to a complete halt. So as soon as travel/tourism is an option again, I will be traveling. In fact, I already had to cancel travel plans twice this summer--a European cruise and a two-week visit to Japan. We've now got almost three weeks booked across three islands in Hawaii starting in late June, but are of course waiting to see if that will even be possible. But if the islands are open, we'll be there, bringing our tourist money with us.
Same here. Lunatic fringe unite!
Rare, Boraxo and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:06 pm

Count me in as well.
JNelson113, Rare, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Count me in as well.

David
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Count me in as well.
Not making a judgment about the" lunatic "part of of your self-appraisals, but according to a recent nationwide survey, you are on the "fringe:"

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...open-poll-says

The above-cited poll is pretty consistent with earlier polls conducted by other organizations.

ETA: It is fascinating--and for me--frightening, to the wide variety of behaviors exhibited in response to this pandemic. As an example, when my wife and I go walking, we make sure to bring a mask in case we will be in close proximity with other walkers. And, we go through all sorts of maneuvers to make sure we are far away from other people. In contrast, many, many people we see out and about fail to wear or even carry a mask, nor do they try to maintain social distance.

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 29, 2020 at 11:49 pm Reason: ETA information
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by 747FC
ETA: It is fascinating--and for me--frightening, to the wide variety of behaviors exhibited in response to this pandemic. As an example, when my wife and I go walking, we make sure to bring a mask in case we will be in close proximity with other walkers. And, we go through all sorts of maneuvers to make sure we are far away from other people. In contrast, many, many people we see out and about fail to wear or even carry a mask, nor do they try to maintain social distance.
You are perfectly safe outdoors. We do not wear masks where I am and our numbers are very small, mostly all in long term care homes. The below is from our Provincial Health Officer who has been fantastic throughout this (and is a local hero now) and has years of experience working with infectious diseases, including ebola. I know everyone has their own risk tolerance but the overkill and overreaction to this has reached dizzying heights. This isn’t a poison gas cloud hovering in the air that merely being in the same square mile of will kill you. The best, most important thing you can do is wash your hands.

The chance of catching COVID-19 from someone coughing as they walk past you in a park is "infinitesimally small," B.C.'s provincial health officer said Wednesday.

During her daily briefing on the pandemic, Dr. Bonnie Henry said people should still feel comfortable spending time outside, as long as they stick with members of their household and keep a two-metre distance from others.

"We always say 'never say never' in medicine, but the risk would be infinitesimally small if somebody walks by you, runs by you — even if they are within six feet," Henry said.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...UPEW-IRya4xq9w
SanDiego1K and Rare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.