Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines - Bid-Up to First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yahrite808
Please report results of your bids

Include date, airports, # of pax, your bid/seat

Successful

Aug 10, 2016, HNL-SFO, 2 pax, cost of upgrade at check-in
Sep 30, 2016, SJC-OGG, 2 pax, $225
Sep XX, 2017 OGG-LAX, 1 pax $335
Sep XX, 2017 OGG-SEA, 1 pax $375
Sep 23, 2017 SFO-HNL, 2 pax $335 ea
July 14, 2018 OAK-OGG 2 pax $245 ea (minimum bid). Note that 5 F seats were available at 48 hours prior.
October 14, 2018 HNL - LAX $300 (min bid) red eye flight.
November 2, 2018 LAX-LIH 2 pax, $300 each
Feb 16, 2019 OGG-SJC 2 pax $330 ea (only two F seats available 48 hours prior)
July 2022 HNL > PDX 1 pax $300

Unsuccessful

Jun 22, 2016, OAK-HNL, 3 pax, $200
Jun 29, 2016, HNL-OAK, 3 pax, $200
Aug 10, 2016, HNL-SFO, 4 pax, lowest level
Sep 23, 2016, SFO-OGG, 2 pax, lowest level
Sep 29, 2016, OAK-HNL, 3 pax, $200
Jun 23, 2017, PHX-HNL, 1 pax $305
Aug 6, 2017, HNL-LAS, 2 pax, $310
Mar 4, 2018, PHX-HNL, 1 pax, $450
April 2019, HNL-LAS, 2 pax, $420
July 29, 2019 PDX - HNL (A321) $375
Print Wikipost

Hawaiian Airlines - Bid-Up to First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by formeraa
It was on alakaairlines.com under "Careers". Since I used to work in the airline industry and would eventually like to move back to SEA, I keep an eye on possible jobs there. And, yes, this particular job description was very specific (though honestly I was thinking that it sounded like an interesting job, not thinking about customer impact at the time).
Thanks. That is very interesting.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
Hi Alex --

I think you have taken the AS blurb on 12F seats out of context. It HAS been confirmed that AS is reconfiguring all of their 737-800's to 12F with a few more inches of pitch and also adding a Premium Economy section (which I referred to as "Y+". See http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300187749.html.

Furthermore, when I said that HA was trying to sell its F seats, I was NOT inferring that AS did not. I was just saying that HA was exercising good business sense. In fact, AS has gotten more aggressive at trying to sell its F seats. I just purchased two r/t F tickets from PHX to SEA for $425 each, which I think is a fair price for F. But the result will be far fewer seats left for free Elite upgrades.

Finally, a few months ago, I saw a job listing for AS to design a revenue management strategy for First Class. All airlines, including HA, are trying to maximize revenue from the premium cabins. It will be even more important for HA as they put in a true long-haul premium seat.
Alaska's FFP is currently lightyears ahead of everyone else in everything, not just in the area of complimentary upgrades. They have a diamond, and I really hope for them that they do not spoil it just in order to make a few more bucks on the F cabin. We will see. For now, they have my loyalty on all Hawaii to mainland flights; I won't use any other carrier, regardless of higher fares or even need to re-route.

I wonder if there is something we as a group can offer to make it easier to put a number on our loyalty? It is easy to put a dollar number on an F (or E+) seat sold, but what dollar value do we road warriors contribute? In my case, I spent $12k on Alaska Air mainland flights last year, and $13k on my Hawaiian JAPAC flights. Will they be able to sell that many more F seats to make up for me, even in a recession? Will they find any other passengers who are able and willing to re-route or pick lowest season flights in order to score better seats?

Is there a way we road warriers can make the value we contribute through sticking with one carrier more explicit?

Last edited by Alex909; Jul 7, 2016 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alex909

Is there a way we road warriers can make the value we contribute through sticking with one carrier more explicit?
Of course there is. no more complimentary upgrades but give the Diamonds the opportunity to buy up to first class before anyone else, either by miles or dollars on select fare classes.

There's always more ways to milk the loyalty by not giving it away. Although road warriors who travel and spend the higher dollars could always spend just a bit more, right? But it appears that AS is not taking their top dollar spenders for granted. But maybe they will rethink the revenue angle, and how they can squeeze just a bit more out of the high dollar road warrior. Maybe only give free upgrades to those who buy into full Y. There are many ways to try and stick it to the road warrior. Just look at DL, UA, BA. Looks like AS is light years behind in that front, which apparently is a good thing...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alex909
Alaska's FFP is currently lightyears ahead of everyone else in everything, not just in the area of complimentary upgrades. They have a diamond, and I really hope for them that they do not spoil it just in order to make a few more bucks on the F cabin. We will see. For now, they have my loyalty on all Hawaii to mainland flights; I won't use any other carrier, regardless of higher fares or even need to re-route.

I wonder if there is something we as a group can offer to make it easier to put a number on our loyalty? It is easy to put a dollar number on an F (or E+) seat sold, but what dollar value do we road warriors contribute? In my case, I spent $12k on Alaska Air mainland flights last year, and $13k on my Hawaiian JAPAC flights. Will they be able to sell that many more F seats to make up for me, even in a recession? Will they find any other passengers who are able and willing to re-route or pick lowest season flights in order to score better seats?

By the way, I agree with you that AS has the best FF program around at this point. I was actually very disappointed at AA's actions. I figured that they would hold off on changes for at least another year.

As for HA, I enjoy flying HA to Hawaii. However, because of a weak FF program, I usually end up flying AA nonstop out of PHX.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:30 am

I like the A330 that HA flies. Much better than the single aisle 737's out there. Flying to HNL in Sept. Outbound on AS, return on HA. Decided to upgrade the return to HA comfort plus, or whatever they call it. The loads on the SEA-HNL flight on AS look to be only at 40%, so plenty of open seats ATM. I know AS will sell their preferred seats closer to dept./day of dept. so AS like everyone else tries to monetize and maximize the seat rev. just like everyone else.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by toadman
I know AS will sell their preferred seats closer to dept./day of dept. so AS like everyone else tries to monetize and maximize the seat rev. just like everyone else.
I think the hallmark program is UA, which bypasses the monetization movement by allowing its loyal program members to make free advance reservations in economy plus and exit row seats. That is way better than gambling that one might be available at time of check in or at the gate.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
I think the hallmark program is UA, which bypasses the monetization movement by allowing its loyal program members to make free advance reservations in economy plus and exit row seats. That is way better than gambling that one might be available at time of check in or at the gate.
AS elites also have advance access to bulkhead and exit rows at no charge. No word yet (AFAIK) on whether same rules will apply to their new extra-legroom section, but no indication that it won't, and I've always had a bulkhead or exit on the few occasions when I haven't been upgraded.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
AS elites also have advance access to bulkhead and exit rows at no charge. No word yet (AFAIK) on whether same rules will apply to their new extra-legroom section, but no indication that it won't, and I've always had a bulkhead or exit on the few occasions when I haven't been upgraded.
Thanks, WrightHI.

From Toadman's comments, I am getting the impression that most of us flyers seem only know the benefits of the one or two frequent flyer programs we are actually engaged in at any given time. For example, I usually totally avoid United and so I was not even aware about them also bypassing the monetization by allowing free advance reservations of E+ seats. (And pulling some flyers into First free-of-charge.) I thought Alaska were the only ones doing it! Ignorance among us customers may be one reasons why some airlines such as Hawaiian have been getting away with really poor FFP programs for years without loosing our business.

Let me try to put together a quick comparison of the FFP programs of carriers that fly to Hawaii based on our discussion here. I'll publish it in the next few days here on "Hawaii Based Airlines". It would be great if some of you who regularly fly United (or other carriers I don't frequent) could send some comments or suggestions once you see it.

Last edited by Alex909; Jul 9, 2016 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wild_Fire_HI
No, it is more than showing how unimportant we are. It is more like laughing at us and to think the Platinum loyalty actually means something to their marketing and management. I give the example of the longest check-in lines in Vegas continues to be the First Class and Gold/Platinum while we are served by just one agent who is constantly interrupted and having to go over and assist the other agents who need computer help. The last three trips out of Vegas I have taken pictures and complained about the premium line out the door of the airport. Their answer, well stand in the regular line. We don't care!
That's true. I remember flying to Vegas on Hawaiian and the first class/gold/platinum pre-boarding line was 3 times longer than the regular boarding line.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:16 pm

We have a corporate account with Hawaiian. Our company only flies on Hawaiian. Last week I took a flight to San Diego on Alaska for vacation. I was so impressed with their service. The people we were traveling with were MVP (I think that's the name...don't quote me ) and because we were on the same reservation with them we received a free upgrade to exit row seats. Now I understand why people want to fly AS. They take care of their frequent fliers. You would never be able to receive upgrades on HAL for traveling companions.

Also, I flew to PEK last year. Paid for coach, tried to upgrade with points. I was told that it was sold out. The cabin was half full and they ended up putting employees in first. That was upsetting.

Anyway, long story short, I'm thinking of changing airlines for my company to AS. I have no choice for inter island, but Mainland flights might be worth it to switch. Too bad, and I was an extremely loyal platinum member for over 10 years.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Flying HNL to SFO tomorrow with wife and two toddlers. Put in bid request at lowest level. Just got email saying bid was not accepted. My parents are on the flight as well their bid at the cost of the upgrade at check was accepted at the 48 hour mark.

Curiously there are still 4 seats available in first for purchase.

Only reason I put the bid in was I was curious how it would work. I wonder if those 4 seats for to upgrades or employees.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by waddy
Flying HNL to SFO tomorrow with wife and two toddlers. Put in bid request at lowest level. Just got email saying bid was not accepted. My parents are on the flight as well their bid at the cost of the upgrade at check was accepted at the 48 hour mark.

Curiously there are still 4 seats available in first for purchase.

Only reason I put the bid in was I was curious how it would work. I wonder if those 4 seats for to upgrades or employees.
Do tell if you were able to score the upgrades in the end...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:35 pm

As a Pualani Platinum, I've tried several times to use my free upgrade certificates on flights, and I've only been able to redeem one of them over the years. It's a joke that now people can bid for first class seats, which means the upgrade certificates are now useless.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Unless the seat is lie flat, it is not worth it..

Just finished a LIH Trip...went to the last row and laid flat...it was empty...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Do tell if you were able to score the upgrades in the end...
Of course not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.