Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

go! to Cease Service April 1, 2014 in Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

go! to Cease Service April 1, 2014 in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Right, it was too extremely expensive. They cannot afford of it. There is no money. No car. No hotel. No activities.
There's got to be some money in Hawaii. "Kamaʻaina rates" have been a fixture of the Hawaiian tourist industry ever since I can remember. And if a discount might induce you to stay at a hotel, see a show, etc., I would think a discount might also induce you to buy an airline ticket.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by iahphx
There's got to be some money in Hawaii. "Kamaʻaina rates" have been a fixture of the Hawaiian tourist industry ever since I can remember. And if a discount might induce you to stay at a hotel, see a show, etc., I would think a discount might also induce you to buy an airline ticket.
If you live in Hawaii, you do pay less to get to whatever island than someone pays to get there from anywhere outside Hawaii...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Thoughts by former Aloha CEO

David Banmiller said all along that Mesa Air's go! was deliberately flying at a loss to put Aloha Airlines out of business, and would raise fares later.

"Go was a parasite and destroyed so many people's lives," Banmiller said from Ireland where he now lives. "We warned everybody from the Justice Department to the governor and the editorial boards but to no avail."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...a-airlines-ceo
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
"Go was a parasite"
Amen.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Quite frankly most Hawaiian locals can't afford to go to other islands - they can't afford the hotels, cars, etc.....
True, airfares for a family are a VERY serious problem; however we all have ohana on an other island that will pick us up, board us, etc. Seldom do we need hotels, cars, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Forum Newb Here...

We had HNL-KOA booked on 4/12/14.

We got the call about Go! going out of business today 3/30/14.

On Kayak and ITA Matrix, there are no direct flights from HNL to KOA after we arrive in HNL. The vast majority of the flights go through OGG, and 90% of them have an overnight stay in OGG.

This is obviously unacceptable.

We land in HNL at 2:00PM and are staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village. How do we easily get from HNL to the hotel on Saturday afternoon?

We've only found two flights... HNL-OGG-KOA at 4:45PM and 7:20PM. From the east coast, this turns a 20-hour travel day into a 24-25 hour day.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
seriously? you want a synopsis?

aloha no go.

now go no go.

-David
+1
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aww3583
We land in HNL at 2:00PM and are staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village. How do we easily get from HNL to the hotel on Saturday afternoon?
http://www.hipmunk.com/flights/HNL::...es=Apr12&pax=1

Pay $230/person, sit in the big comfy seat on the 763 and enjoy the ride.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aww3583
Forum Newb Here...

We had HNL-KOA booked on 4/12/14.

We got the call about Go! going out of business today 3/30/14.

On Kayak and ITA Matrix, there are no direct flights from HNL to KOA after we arrive in HNL. The vast majority of the flights go through OGG, and 90% of them have an overnight stay in OGG.

This is obviously unacceptable.

We've only found two flights... HNL-OGG-KOA at 4:45PM and 7:20PM. From the east coast, this turns a 20-hour travel day into a 24-25 hour day.
That appears to be your only option (the Mokulele flights via OGG) - I'd spend the night in HNL and go direct to KOA the next morning.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:41 pm

So on the last day of their operations they have already cancelled one flight (1021 HNL-OGG) due to mechanical issues and at least 6 down line flights are delayed because of this.

What a way to go!

News article..

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...ines-in-hawaii
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
How fitting and appropriate and in-character:

Sleazy business practices, using illegal means (per a legal judgment against them, not just my opinion) to drive a kama`aina competitor out of business with much misery for many Hawai`i `ohana, and regular irrops (is that an oxymoron?)

There is room for and need for competition in the market. But it needs to be pono.

Aloha and thank goodness no a hui hou!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
but at least with Mokulele you'll get there.. its quite the pretty flight. Better book before others do.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
but at least with Mokulele you'll get there.. its quite the pretty flight. Better book before others do.
Wish we could still earn AS miles.

But glad they're still around ^
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Thanks for the replies everyone.

A very helpful member on the Delta Skymiles forum recommended looking at ITO.

We're flying HNL-ITO on HA and it will put us at Waikoloa Village just a couple of hour later than our previous itinerary.

We were not looking forward to the two flights on the 9-seater on Mokulele, so we're riding in style in the exit row of an HA 717.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: United
Angry Limited availablity for re-accomodation on Hawaiian Airlines

The reservation agent at Mesa (Go!) had no seats on any Hawaiian Airlines flight to replace my HNL-ITO Go! booking on April 17th. They had a few seats left on April 16th, which worked for me with a couple of hotel changes. Maybe those who found out in mid-March had better luck - my first clue was an email from Go! today, and their service cancellation notice was buried in the fine print.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.