Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

go! to Cease Service April 1, 2014 in Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

go! to Cease Service April 1, 2014 in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
What's particularly odd to me is HA's pricing structure. I would think the elasticity of demand for interisland flights would be HUGE. Like you'd spend a weekend in Kauai if it wasn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. Yet, they don't seem to do much (if any) promotional advance purchase pricing these days like almost all other airlines do. Weird.

I haven't recently studied the economics of jet vs. non-jet, although I do recall the small plane makers claiming that turboprops are much cheaper to operate on short hauls.
Turboprops are certainly cheaper than jets to operate - me, I'm not excited about a prop plane - besides slower and louder, they don't do as well in bad weather or at night.

Do you have a Hawaiian Miles account - I was getting promo airfares pretty much every month until very recently (Spring Break) - I doubt we will see much in terms of sales with high season around the corner starting in June.

It costs $45 to take a taxi from the Airport to Waikiki, $80 to Maui doesn't seem to bad to me.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:26 pm

Can someone provide a short explanation of the go!/Aloha situation?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by will2288

seriously? you want a synopsis?

aloha no go.

now go no go.

-David
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
The short version:

Before !go even entered the Hawaiian Market, they had confidential access to the Hawaii market based on bankruptcy by Hawaiian and Aloha. Eventually !go paid Hawaiian $52 million for the misuse of this confidential information. Basicially, they knew the market before they even got here.

!go/mesa entered the Hawaiian interisland market with aggressive pricing igniting a fare war between Aloha, Hawaiian, and go! Prices were not sustainable, seats were being sold at a loss - and they eventually got as low as $1/ticket.

Eventually Aloha Airlines filed for bankruptcy (again) and their were no takers to bail them out - with the aggresive fare war essentially forcing them out.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
What's particularly odd to me is HA's pricing structure. I would think the elasticity of demand for interisland flights would be HUGE. Like you'd spend a weekend in Kauai if it wasn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. Yet, they don't seem to do much (if any) promotional advance purchase pricing these days like almost all other airlines do. Weird.
My family would definitely do more inter-island trips if they were cheaper. But there are plenty of people who aren't price-constrained like me, or who are being sent there for work, or going home for the weekend from work, or whatever, so HA's load factors last year were 87% - even higher than the year before. When I fly inter-island, it's common for every seat to be full - so there's not much motivation for them to charge less to fill up more seats (except maybe early morning or late at night).

I do think Hawaii is ripe for an efficient start-up airline to offer a no-frills air shuttle between major airports. I haven't recently studied the economics of jet vs. non-jet, although I do recall the small plane makers claiming that turboprops are much cheaper to operate on short hauls. Planes like the ATR72. Of course, you're going to get some modest book-away from props. That said, regardless of which aircraft you used, a relatively high frequency no-frills "shuttle" between, say, HNL and OGG, would undoubtedly stimulate demand and be profitable at fares well below 87 cents/mile.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Turboprops are certainly cheaper than jets to operate - me, I'm not excited about a prop plane - besides slower and louder, they don't do as well in bad weather or at night.
Hawaii has a lot of experience with props (IslandAir, Mokulele, etc), 50-seaters (go!), and mainline (HA, AQ). Experientially, if there's a storm over west Maui, HA's 717s fly to OGG, KOA and ITO as if there's nothing going on, the 50-seaters get delayed, and the props are flat-out cancelled.

I think there's a place for props, but if I'm headed to HNL for a connection, I want to be on a HA 717, because they're more likely to run like clockwork.

There might be space for something like the E-170/175/190/195 family, though. When Embraer launched them some years back, they were seen as a possible option for pretty much every airline in Hawaii at the time. I don't know what their CASM looks like with current fuel prices, and I don't know whether they'd be as reliable in bad weather as the 717s, but I can't think of anything that'd be a closer competitor to the 717s.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DanTravels
There might be space for something like the E-170/175/190/195 family, though. When Embraer launched them some years back, they were seen as a possible option for pretty much every airline in Hawaii at the time. I don't know what their CASM looks like with current fuel prices, and I don't know whether they'd be as reliable in bad weather as the 717s, but I can't think of anything that'd be a closer competitor to the 717s.
MW ran these for a couple years. Yes my flight was delayed (earlier one was cnld day before due to wx?) but was a quick OGG-HNL flight and I had a nice window seat. I even earned AS miles ^
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
MW ran these for a couple years. Yes my flight was delayed (earlier one was cnld day before due to wx?) but was a quick OGG-HNL flight and I had a nice window seat. I even earned AS miles ^
Oh yeah, I forgot that MW had them (operated by Republic, maybe?) before their deal with Mesa resulted in them leaving the islands in favor of CR2's... Never got the chance to fly one on MW, but I've been aboard them on other airlines and they're nice.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Actually the demand for interisland flights is relatively inelastic.

If interisland ticket prices go down 20%, does the amount of passengers carried increase at least 20%? Nope, not even close...even if HA had the assets to throw that much additional capacity into the market to support the extra flyers.

As was experienced during the fare wars of 2006-2008, the 50%+ drop in airfare from all three carriers only resulted in at best a 10% increase in total interisland passengers carried. So yes, decreasing fares will result in a few more additional passengers (at the margins), but the overall net effect was bad for all involved.

Originally Posted by DanTravels
But there are plenty of people who aren't price-constrained like me, or who are being sent there for work, or going home for the weekend from work, or whatever, so HA's load factors last year were 87% - even higher than the year before. When I fly inter-island, it's common for every seat to be full - so there's not much motivation for them to charge less to fill up more seats (except maybe early morning or late at night).
+1.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Seems to me HAL must be leaving a lot of money on the table, just a search on 3/21 shows every HNL-ITO flight sold out after 12pm in coach, and at 10 of the flights to OGG are sold out in coach.....
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asu-ua772
Actually the demand for interisland flights is relatively inelastic.

If interisland ticket prices go down 20%, does the amount of passengers carried increase at least 20%? Nope, not even close...even if HA had the assets to throw that much additional capacity into the market to support the extra flyers.

As was experienced during the fare wars of 2006-2008, the 50%+ drop in airfare from all three carriers only resulted in at best a 10% increase in total interisland passengers carried. So yes, decreasing fares will result in a few more additional passengers (at the margins), but the overall net effect was bad for all involved.
Well if that's truly the case, my argument for launching a no-frills air shuttle isn't very good.

But I'd be surprised if the market is inelastic. Look at mainland short haul. Almost every route has very elastic demand which, of course, is completely logical. Heck, Southwest airlines built a whole business (initially at least) competing against the car.

I find it hard to believe that Hawaiian locals (and tourists, too!) wouldn't travel more if the price was lower. I would think the market would be EXTREMELY price elastic, since there's no other transport option.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

I find it hard to believe that Hawaiian locals (and tourists, too!) wouldn't travel more if the price was lower.
Quite frankly most Hawaiian locals can't afford to go to other islands - they can't afford the hotels, cars, etc.....
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Quite frankly most Hawaiian locals can't afford to go to other islands - they can't afford the hotels, cars, etc.....
And those that can are heading to the 9th island right

That sees the 'no frills' charters on occasion
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Seems to me HAL must be leaving a lot of money on the table, just a search on 3/21 shows every HNL-ITO flight sold out after 12pm in coach, and at 10 of the flights to OGG are sold out in coach.....
Spring break might have something to do with that.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Right, it was too extremely expensive. They cannot afford of it. There is no money. No car. No hotel. No activities.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it hard to believe that Hawaiian locals (and tourists, too!) wouldn't travel more if the price was lower. I would think the market would be EXTREMELY price elastic, since there's no other transport option.
You seem to think lots of things, but at least on HNL-ITO that I usually take, the flights are full as it is. If there are no seats left, I don't care how cheap they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.