Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Using Hawaiian Miles for Partner Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Hawaiian Miles for Partner Awards

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

I've seen which airlines HA partners with.

From what you've described, I can book Delta LOW-Level awards, as long as the routing is on DELTA metal.

As far as ANA and Korean air, I see no point to use my miles on them, since HA flies to Japan and Korea anyways.

How about Virgin Atlantic? I don't know much about them. Do they charge hefty fuel surcharges?
Old May 30, 2012, 4:43 pm

And a followup question from Anitia's question above - does anyone know if you can do a stopover (i.e. London) using HA miles on Virgin Atlantic? I know you can't do an open jaw (website says RT only), but the HA T&C's don't address stopovers that I can see. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
And a followup question from Anitia's question above - does anyone know if you can do a stopover (i.e. London) using HA miles on Virgin Atlantic? I know you can't do an open jaw (website says RT only), but the HA T&C's don't address stopovers that I can see. Thanks!
I would call HA to enquire about this. Actually, I would call several times if you don't like the answer you get at first as Hawaiianmiles folks seem to be especially clueless in general. If you call, please report back as I'm curious to know the answer to this. I tend to avoid HawaiianMiles in general, but the ability to do a stopover with VS would be a great benefit.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:38 pm

Thanks saacman. I had the same thought yesterday after I posted. Tried calling a couple of times last night but couldn't wait out the hold times. Reached them today - no-go. No stopovers allowed, just connections. They wouldn't confirm how much layover time was allowed for a connection, even with some prompting on my part (24 hrs? 12 hrs?). To your point, it still may be a YMMV situation depending on the agent you get, but the one I talked to was adamant that stopovers were not allowed.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
How about Virgin Atlantic? I don't know much about them. Do they charge hefty fuel surcharges?
I'm curious to find out if redeeming on Virgin is easy. 70k miles to anywhere in the world sounds pretty good. Most promising is travel to Asia as most FF programs charge a min of 80k to fly to Asia.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I am too curious to see the availability of HA miles on Virgin Atlantic's upper class.

I check JFK to HNL flights, and the business class is mostly unavailable, even using 80k miles one-way.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic puts fuel surcharges on award tickets. I wish I could use HA miles on American, or something with better availability to Europe.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Success rate

I know delta awards are difficult to use. Just out of curiosity, has anyone successfully booked a delta award with hawaiian miles?
how about with any other partner airlines?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

has anyone successfully booked Virgin Atlantic's upper class with hawaiian miles?
I saw it available on VS.com one rep told me it have to come back confirmed, im already waiting one week its still not confirmed, now they say the seats are not available, even seats i see on vs.com.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
Trying to use Hawaiian Miles on Delta

I have 140K HA miles so I called to check availability on 6 routes that I would normally book with Delta.

I first asked about Nashville to the Dominican Republic..... Long pause from CSR.......and then she says "Is that in Europe?". No dice once I explain to her where DR is.

Next up, a simple 2 hr flight into one of Delta's largest hubs in the US. BNA to MSP.......long pause again, then she says, "Nashville to Mississippi, one moment please.".........

Wow. No seats on that one either.

Finally, I asked for Nashville into Montego Bay, Jamaica for Spring Break next March. Long pause....."Montego Bay, is that in Florida, USA?"

Needless to say, there was no award availability to Europe (PUJ), Mississippi (MSP), or Florida, USA (MBJ) for the dates I needed or +- 3 weeks of those dates.

I asked the CSR if she had ever successfully booked an award seat on Delta using HA miles. She said occasionally it works out. She said that she and her department have never seen more than 2 award seats on the same flight, even on short haul ones from Atlanta to Detroit or Atlanta to Memphis, etc.

I think I'm going to give up on the pseudo HA/Delta relationship and transfer all my HA miles and Virgin miles to Hilton. 480,000 more Hilton miles isn't too shabby for 4 card sign ups.

If you've successfully found a way to make HA miles useful on Delta send me a PM.

Thanks,
baxterboy12

Last edited by baxterboy12; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:18 pm

As hard as it is to find DL award seats with DL miles, it's no wonder it's difficult using HA miles. Have you found low level availability on DL's website prior to calling HA?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious to see about the using HA miles on Virgin Atlantic. Does ANYONE have any experience booking Virgin Atlantic OR Delta OR ANY partner airline award with Hawaiian miles? As soon as I get enough miles, I'll let you know my experience. :-)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Anyone

Originally Posted by saacman5033
As hard as it is to find DL award seats with DL miles, it's no wonder it's difficult using HA miles. Have you found low level availability on DL's website prior to calling HA?
I have been working all day with this. I have talked a ton of reps. I have found low level space on DL.com and have spoon feed to HA reps. No space. They seem to not find any space ever even if open LL on DL.com.

BTW found out that N space must exist for coach and O for biz on HA miles.

Has anyone EVER booked any seats on Delta with HA points? HUGE thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 pm

Partner Air Awards?

A couple of years ago, wishing to get from California to Europe, I spent probably two weeks of back and forth with the HA center trying to get a booking on either Delta or Virgin Atlantic. My efforts resulted in failure.

Ever optimistic, I just completed a phone call with the HA center. All I was trying to figure out was whether or not to even try...asking the question "have you or any other rep that you know of EVER been able to successfully book an Upper Class ticket on Virgin using HA miles?"...in other words, please don't ask me to waste my time or yours if the effort is going to likely fail.

The ONLY answer I could get was that HA reps have limited access to partner airline data bases and all they could do was submit a request for a specific itenerary. I then asked if they might receive an answer back giving optional dates that could successfully be booked. The answer was no. So, I asked, if I submit a request for a specific date, and it was rejected, I would have to submit another specific itinerary? Yes, was the answer...and it would take 24 to 48 hours to receive a reply. So, I then asked, if I were turned down for 10 or so different date requests, it could take as much as 20 days to finally conclude the answer was still NO? And the reply to that? Yes!.

I have used HA miles on HA bookings with great success, and I suspect, that is how I will continue to use those miles. Partner awards using HA miles, in spite of the hype of supposed benefits, are probably just wishful thinking.

I note that NO ONE here on this thread has ever answered in the affirmative to the question about success in booking a partner award with either Delta or Virgin Atlantic.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Popoki

I note that NO ONE here on this thread has ever answered in the affirmative to the question about success in booking a partner award with either Delta or Virgin Atlantic.
That is pathetic. Why do they even have partners? Delta has non-existant availability for its own flyers, it's foolish to think that they would give any space to HA.

As a side note, does HA allow one-way awards for flights to Asia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.