Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Using Hawaiian Miles for Partner Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Hawaiian Miles for Partner Awards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
It seems like the best use for HA miles is still transfer to Hilton. Hilton may not be worthwhile for high end redemptions anymore but there are still sweet spots for your average stays.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:12 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll probably be transferring them to Hilton or getting a one-way award on HA.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Does anyone have any idea what availability HA sees with regards to AA awards? I tried to book a biz/first ticket from BOS to PVR that had MileSaver availability on aa.com and HA weren't able to confirm any of the international flights.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Does anyone have any idea what availability HA sees with regards to AA awards? I tried to book a biz/first ticket from BOS to PVR that had MileSaver availability on aa.com and HA weren't able to confirm any of the international flights.
You might want to check to see if AAs other partners have access to the availability youre seeing. Id check BA or QF to see if they show availability and if so, press Hawaiian to try harder... sometimes their CS reps can be downright awful
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
That's a great idea, thanks saacman. And yes - the only reps I've dealt with who have been worse than Hawaiian have been Alitalia's.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Now that HA miles can be used to book AA flights, anyone have any experience with this or know how its done?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
I've been hearing some conflicting information on how difficult it is to use Hawaiian miles on Delta.
The HA/Delta partnership has ended.

Now that HA miles can be used to book AA flights, anyone have any experience with this or know how its done?
I am now wondering the same thing. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
I have never been successful using HAL miles on any other partner airline.

Wow, that's an incredible story. Its amazing how poorly run HA Miles call center is.
I am on with a change agent now. She confirmed my FC upgrade using miles, got my number and confirmed that I had way more than enough miles and said, "please let me put you on hold so I can change the reservation to FC...."

I now have been on hold for 35 minutes. I suppose she is taking the opportunity to have a bowl of Nasi Goreng for dinner in Makati.

The CSR did come back online and apologized for the problem in getting the upgrade into the system. 20 minutes later she got it done. Actually the CSR was quite persistent and helpful it was the HAL systems that were the problem.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 9, 2016 at 4:27 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Bump.

Has anyone here tried to use HA miles for partner awards on Virgin America?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I'm wondering if it is possible to mix HA and partners on a single award?

I'm wondering if I can fly on AA flights from east coast to west coast and then fly HA to Hawaii. Anybody have any idea if this is possible and/or what award chart it would be using?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
...the only reps I've dealt with who have been worse than Hawaiian have been Alitalia's
I called HA yesterday, asking about using HA miles on AA, flying from the U.S. to Rome. The agent asked "What city in Rome?" Didn't want to make him feel bad, so I said "Well the airport code is FCO."

Originally Posted by pkincy
I have never been successful using HAL miles on any other partner airline.
The HA agent yesterday said that there were no award seats available on AA, economy or business, for any days next April through August (the months I enquired about).

Question:
If I call AA to see about award seat availability (which is what the HA agent recommended I do), how would that work? A business R/T on AA using HA miles would be 120,000 HA miles, but AA itself uses "saver" awards and "anytime" awards, so I'm wondering if any available award business seat on AA could be had for the 120,000 HA miles…or maybe just the "saver" (lower-priced in miles) awards.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by muji
Question:
If I call AA to see about award seat availability (which is what the HA agent recommended I do), how would that work? A business R/T on AA using HA miles would be 120,000 HA miles, but AA itself uses "saver" awards and "anytime" awards, so I'm wondering if any available award business seat on AA could be had for the 120,000 HA miles…or maybe just the "saver" (lower-priced in miles) awards.
1. You can check for award availability on AA.com. Don't necessarily need to call AA for that.
2. Partners can only be booked if there is Saver award inventory available. HA cannot offer you any partner space from that partner's anytime award inventory.

Last edited by jeelele; Sep 14, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jeelele
Partners can only be booked if there is Saver award inventory available. HA cannot offer you any partner space from that partner's anytime award inventory.
Thanks, jeelele. That's what I was thinking; thanks for the confirmation on that.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

I'm trying to book an award ticket going from

PHl to HNL on AA for Feb 2015, I got some spaces for the outbound in coach, no business.
The return leg... there are none for the entire year of 2015, I tried various airports include

HNL to JFK, EWR, BWI, PHL ... no result!
Can you believe this?
Partner miles round trip in coach is 45k to HNL
but Its so difficult to find a 45k round trip to HNL on HA flights from JFK, its mostly 40k one way in coach unless you're extremely flexible with dates.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Virgin Atlantic redemption

Hello - is scoring a Virgin Atlantic redemption using HA miles even possible? I see VS releasing space for my intended flights and the also see these flights available for award booking on Delta.

I know HA agents aren't the best trained CSRs out there. Any tips/methods to be able to guide them to book VS flights? I've spoken to 6-7 agents and have gotten everything from VS is not bookable at all to the agents trying and finding 0 seats for a two month stretch.

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.