Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Overly personal talk from flight attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overly personal talk from flight attendants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Nothing turns me off more than a flamboyant, overly obvious FA. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "family" but too often they are unprofessional and provide sassy, attitude-filled service to the straights and non-flamboyants. Every airline has them, but UA seems to lead in this area.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"non-flamboyants"?????
Did you reallly just make that up
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
"non-flamboyants"?????
Did you reallly just make that up
LOL! I like to be a "non-flamboyant!"
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Nothing turns me off more than a flamboyant, overly obvious FA. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "family" but too often they are unprofessional and provide sassy, attitude-filled service to the straights and non-flamboyants. Every airline has them, but UA seems to lead in this area.
I am so waiting for some of our friendly neighborhood FA's (flamboyant or non) to read, write and word-process you
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I flew LHR to HKG recently on the upper deck 64K in BA CW, and the FA sat down on the shelf next to me asking what was good to do in HK, as he didn't like going out drinking, and that the clubs were shut as it was a Monday. I had just woken up after a long flight and I did think he was being a bit too familiar, particularly coming to take a seat next to me....
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Nothing turns me off more than a flamboyant, overly obvious FA.
Overly-obvious what? Would you mind putting an adjective in there to clarify?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by axplat
I flew LHR to HKG recently on the upper deck 64K in BA CW, and the FA sat down on the shelf next to me asking what was good to do in HK, as he didn't like going out drinking, and that the clubs were shut as it was a Monday. I had just woken up after a long flight and I did think he was being a bit too familiar, particularly coming to take a seat next to me....
Hey, at least it proves you still have pulling power. Just feel flattered.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:51 am

I'm a FA, ... Whenever I'm at work, I don't mix business and pleasure. The only close incident was in Amsterdam. I met this guy at the bar, we had a good talk, and it turned out that he was going to be on my flight back to Seattle the next day.

Said "hi" to him on the plane (he was in Business class and I was working in Y) and I left it at that.

He text me as why I was being a stranger as soon as we landed, and I explained to him, I have to look professional on board the plane and when I donned my uniform.

that's just me.. I have seen other FAs do the stuff you mentioned above. Not just the gay ones, the female/male straight FAs if they like what they see, would sometimes do the same thing, too. But it's just not me.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
I will admit to being one of the non-flamboyant passengers and therefore slip unnoticed into the general herd of middle-aged passenger geese. However, once when traveling with a somewhat more obvious ex-partner, we have received such attention from FA's. I've generally not minded to be honest, but I did complain when my-ex (who was my partner at the time) received a phone number and suggestion in a goody bag given out to him by an FA.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
Said "hi" to him on the plane (he was in Business class and I was working in Y) and I left it at that.

He text me as why I was being a stranger as soon as we landed, and I explained to him, I have to look professional on board the plane and when I donned my uniform.
^
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Oh well I had better confess...

I was on a flight from LGW to GVA earlier this year and saw are a really cute BA crew member welcoming us aboard... I recognised him from a previous trip

Seated in an almost empty CE cabin i got out my Gay Times and Attitude and sat and read them very openly as he got the cabin ready.

I then had the slutiest time with him as we played off each other whole flight...

It is not just the crew that can be overly familiar
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Preferrably in an non-airplane environment.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
so once again redefining layover.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:38 pm

on a SFO-JFK trip this past summer our F F/A came up to me after lunch and asked what line of business i was in. i was puzzled and he got that. so he said, "well you're young, sitting in first, wearing a dress shirt and have an eyebrow ring. so i'm just a little thrown off." i explained to him i was a college student and was going to visit a friend in DC. it didn't occur to me until later than he might have been hitting on me. i was more flattered than anything.

had he been more obvious i think it might have made me mildly uncomfortable, so i can sympathize with the OP
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
Slight twist on the theme with me being too personal with the FA!

(moved in to the BA forum on request of someone who's more au fait with the boards than me)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post10915735

Last edited by Joeykins; Dec 16, 2008 at 7:52 am Reason: moved to BAEC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.