Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spouse flying to Germany [from US]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Spouse flying to Germany [from US]

Hello. I’m a US citizen, with a US passport. I am hoping to fly from California to Frankfurt via a connection in Washington DC i believe, this week. I recently got married(US marriage) to a German woman who is a German resident/citizen, and who is currently in Germany.
Seems like just last week, they were only allowing spouses with a D-visa, or resident permit to fly.
But now, according to most government sources I am asking and researching, non-German spouses are now allowed to travel into Germany, (auch ohne D-Visum) even without a D-visa, for spouse reunification, family reason, moving purposes, etc. I have an email from Bundespolizei advising me on this, i can copy-paste if needed. Also, United Airline is now listing under Germany exceptions "Husband, wife, child and registered partner of nationals or residents of Germany”. Again, without saying anything about a Visa.
I know things change everyday, and you guys aren't giving legal advice, but I am seeking your opinion. Under the current guidelines, what is your thoughts?
Old May 11, 2020, 5:59 pm

'Passengers are not allowed to enter Germany.
This does not apply to:
- nationals of Germany;
- passengers with permanent residence in Germany obtained before Coronavirus (COVID-19) or with a D-Visa issued by Germany;
- husband, wife, child and registered partner of nationals or residents of Germany;'

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

It also appears that the quarantine on arrival may have been overturned by a court in Lower Saxony today but I believe that is currently a 'stay tuned' situation.
croixmot likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I saw this information online, and I am prepared to self-quarantine. I will have a copy of my marriage certificate and a color copy of my wife's German passport. Also on the advice of the Bundespolizei, my wife will pick me up at the airport and have her phone ready. Any other suggestions?
I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows or heard of non-germans spouses successfully being allowed to fly and enter?
Old May 11, 2020, 6:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk.
I am moving the thread to the Germany forum where you may receive more replies.

NewbieRunner
Forum moderator
croixmot likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Vielen dank!
Old May 12, 2020, 1:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See the experience report in this thread: Traveling to Schengen as German resident

Your problem will convincing United, they will have no clue and rather deny than research the matter. You would be better off to rebook your ticket to go via Chicago with Lufthansa who will have more resources to check your status.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:44 am
Original Poster

It's a return flight, from a ticket/trip purchased from United in early January If it's recommended to use Lufthansa, i will book a ticket with them. And maybe just try to refund or get a voucher for the United flight? Probably i will be making many phone calls tomorrow.
But is a copy of my US marriage certificate, and copy of wife's German passport enough documentation?
Old May 12, 2020, 1:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You should be able to change your United ticket and ask for for a rerouting via ORD using a UA codeshare operated by Lufthansa, the change penalties are suspended anyway. Its worth a call. If they don't change it you can try your luck via IAD, armed with everything you have.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think you should be ok, even on UA. Have a copy of the German travel guidance from the website of the German foreign ministry, the marriage certificate, and your wife's passport photocopy.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
See the experience report in this thread: Traveling to Schengen as German resident

Your problem will convincing United, they will have no clue and rather deny than research the matter. You would be better off to rebook your ticket to go via Chicago with Lufthansa who will have more resources to check your status.
This. re-book with LH. They will be in a better position to help you. We have experienced occasional problems with US citizens who have SOFA cards returning to Germany flying on US flag carriers.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by exbayern
'

It also appears that the quarantine on arrival may have been overturned by a court in Lower Saxony today but I believe that is currently a 'stay tuned' situation.
The quarantine rule, while discussed with the federal government, are set by the states. Depending which state is your final destination rules can be a bit different. In Hessen (where Frankfurt is) this is the official rule https://www.hessen.de/sites/default/...o_corona_0.pdf

Rough translation
§ 1
Quarantine
(1) Persons who
1. by land, sea or air from a country outside the Federal Republic of Germany enter Germany in Hessen or
2. have stayed in an area that was covered by the Robert Koch Institute identified as risk area for infections with the SARS-CoV-2 virus

and whose entry was after the date of designation as a risk area or takes place within 14 days before the date of designation as a risk area is, are obliged to enter their own country immediately after entry by direct route into their or other suitable accommodation, and to make arrangements for a to be kept there permanently for a period of 14 days after their entry; this also applies for persons who have first entered another country of the Federal Republic of Germany
The persons mentioned in sentence 1 are not permitted to receive visits from persons who do not belong to their household during this period.

(2) The persons mentioned in para. 1 sentence 1 are obliged to immediately receive the visa for the place of their own home or other suitable accommodation health authority and to check the existence of the obligations according paragraph 1. The persons covered by para. 1 sentence 1 shall also be obliged, in the event of the occurrence of symptoms of a disease with COVID-19 in the sense of the respective criteria of the Robert Koch Institute, to contact the public health office in accordance with sentence 1 immediately.

(3) For the period of seclusion, the persons covered by subsection 1, first sentence, shall be monitoring by the responsible health authority.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
The rules will be similar in all states but can differ slightly or change indecently of each other. In addition currently all countries world-wide are seen as risk areas for Covid-19.

Last edited by flyingfkb; May 12, 2020 at 4:43 am Reason: Additions
Old May 12, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
The quarantine rule, while discussed with the federal government, are set by the states. Depending which state is your final destination rules can be a bit different. In Hessen (where Frankfurt is) this is the official rule https://www.hessen.de/sites/default/...o_corona_0.pdf

Rough translation

The rules will be similar in all states but can differ slightly or change indecently of each other. In addition currently all countries world-wide are seen as risk areas for Covid-19.
A court in Nieder-Sachsen (Lower Saxony) overruled the quarantine requirement yesterday. I'm not sure how that works ie if one flies into FRA and connects to HAJ via flight, no quarantine? HAJ flights are quite limited on a good day, with a lot of leisure routes. Not sure if FRA-HAJ is even flying these days. If one lands at FRA and takes the train to HAJ, no quarantine on arrival in Hannover, but contact with other passengers on the train. If one lands at FRA and drives, then contact is minimal especially if using the SIXT locker service (keys are left in a locker and no need to speak with anyone)

Interesting developments which I suspect will impact in the next few days in Germany.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I will call about the Lufthansa rerouting. And i will bring the copy of passport, copy of marriage certificate, and print the sections of the numerous websites(BMI, Bundespolizei, IATA, etc)saying it's ok. I'm optimistic now... but i won't be relaxed until i'm actually passed through customs in Frankfurt :/

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a US spouse successfully being allowed to enter in the last week or two?
Old May 15, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

UPDATE

I was super nervous, but I made, and it was completely different than when I tried two weeks ago, when they were rejecting people left and right.

This time, United didn't even ask for any documents, and didn't even look at my passport. Just scanned the boarding pass, and let everyone in. German border police were super nice. I handed him a copy of my US marriage certificate and a copy of my wife's German passport, and I don't even think he looked at them. He mainly looked at all the pages of my passport and asked a few questions. The one thing to note is that you may have more success if you're traveling to move permanently to Germany and reunite with your spouse. I guess just visiting might not be an urgent enough reason at the moment. (see news story about American trying to sneak in as a Janitor)

Thanks for all the help, and good luck out there!
FLYGVA and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by croixmot
I was super nervous, but I made, and it was completely different than when I tried two weeks ago, when they were rejecting people left and right.

This time, United didn't even ask for any documents, and didn't even look at my passport. Just scanned the boarding pass, and let everyone in. German border police were super nice. I handed him a copy of my US marriage certificate and a copy of my wife's German passport, and I don't even think he looked at them. He mainly looked at all the pages of my passport and asked a few questions. The one thing to note is that you may have more success if you're traveling to move permanently to Germany and reunite with your spouse. I guess just visiting might not be an urgent enough reason at the moment. (see news story about American trying to sneak in as a Janitor)

Thanks for all the help, and good luck out there!
Welcome to Germany! Glad it worked out well. Please do stick around on FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.