Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Schengen as German resident

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Traveling to Schengen as German resident

Hi,

I am a US citizen with residency in Germany. To prove my residency status at immigration in Germany I do have the registration paper, which is in german.
However, I am worried they will not let me board the plane here in the US cause this German document is the only proof I have.

Does anyone have any experience with this case?
Also is it possible to layover in Amsterdam but stay in the transit area?

Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Define layover.

There's an airside transit hotel in AMS in the nonSchengen area, but I don't know whether it's open now. Otherwise, you might want to check the sleeping in airports website. I think AMS was normally open 24/7, but with reduced flights, there's a chance they might close in the middle of the night.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is this a connection or a stopover and what are the arrival & departure times?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Is this a connection or a stopover and what are the arrival & departure times?
ATL-AMS-FRA or ATL-ORD-FRA are my options.
It's a 2h connection in Amsterdam next Sunday. Arrival at 8am and departure at 10am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:44 am
Original Poster

My main worry are the required documents when leaving the US and upon arrival in Amsterdam...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Check the following sites:

IATA Timatic information on entry to Germany
IATA Timatic information on entry to the Netherlands
German Federal Foreign Office website

For simplicity I would fly ATL-ORD-FRA. Assuming ORD-FRA is a Lufthansa flight there must be personnel at ORD who knows what a German registration document looks like.
askmrlee likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by md113
To prove my residency status at immigration in Germany I do have the registration paper, which is in german.
Is the German residence permit a plastic card? If yes, then it's a standard format for all Schengen countries and should be understood both by the airline and by the Dutch border guards. Even before Covid-19, airlines were checking residence permits to avoid boarding someone without a valid visa (and be fined for it), so they should all be familiar with all these documents.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hi,
I am a US citizen with residency in Germany. To prove my residency status at immigration in Germany I do have the registration paper, which is in german.
If were granted residency you should have the ID-1 card described here: https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Migrat...itel-node.html

All other forms are documented as a visa sticker in your passport. If you don't have either you should go to the German consulate in Atlanta and get a proper sticker in the passport.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Is the German residence permit a plastic card? If yes, then it's a standard format for all Schengen countries and should be understood both by the airline and by the Dutch border guards. Even before Covid-19, airlines were checking residence permits to avoid boarding someone without a valid visa (and be fined for it), so they should all be familiar with all these documents.
No, it's not the plastic card. I've just recently registered so the only thing I have is a paper confirming that I've registered my residence.
According to the german immigration office i should be able to fly to Germany with this document.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If were granted residency you should have the ID-1 card described here: https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Migrat...itel-node.html

All other forms are documented as a visa sticker in your passport. If you don't have either you should go to the German consulate in Atlanta and get a proper sticker in the passport.
I've already contacted the consulate in Atlanta, they do not process visa at the moment...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No, it's not the plastic card. I've just recently registered so the only thing I have is a paper confirming that I've registered my residence.
According to the german immigration office i should be able to fly to Germany with this document.
Hmm... your only bet would be to fly with LH from ORD. No one else would know what to do with your piece of paper.
flyertalker54234 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:21 pm

Are you absolutely sure this paper is a residence permit (documenting the right of a foreigner to live in the country) and not merely a residence registration (which documents your address, but not your right to live in Germany)?

Does this paper include your home address in Germany?

Did the german immigration office actually an actual image of the paper before confirming you are good to go with it?

Can you maybe post an image with personal details edited out? Because normally, a residence permit is either a plastic card, or a sticker in the passport.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Are you absolutely sure this paper is a residence permit (documenting the right of a foreigner to live in the country) and not merely a residence registration (which documents your address, but not your right to live in Germany)?

Does this paper include your home address in Germany?

Did the german immigration office actually an actual image of the paper before confirming you are good to go with it?

Can you maybe post an image with personal details edited out? Because normally, a residence permit is either a plastic card, or a sticker in the passport.
I used to see letters issued that could be used to get residence stickers and cards on arrival to Europe and were to be considered de facto permits. Saw this for Germany and some other Schengen countries over the years. It was definitely not the common way to do things. md113 may have something else, however.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
"registration paper" to me sounds like it could be a confirmation from the council where he lives proving he is registered there, which of course would not be sufficient to permanently reside in Schengen with just a US passport.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:44 am

If s/he is flying from ORD on Lufthansa the airline can verify if they are allowed to board by calling the Bundespolizei hotline in FRA. Other airlines also have access to this hotline but usually don't bother.

If s/he only has a meldebestätigung, then that is not proof of residency in Germany, but what do I know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.