Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Question Concerning COVID and Germany (Schengen)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question Concerning COVID and Germany (Schengen)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just wanted to check the current situation

I am UK passport holder, living in the UK but not in a local lockdown area

My understanding is that I can enter Germany (Berlin to be specific) and not have to quarentine or have a test.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:09 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Correct.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
delete - got a response back from German Ministry saying no entrance without exemption.

Last edited by seigex; Aug 19, 2020 at 12:40 am
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Had to think of this thread yesterday when the news of the superspreader in Garmisch Patenkirchen came out: a young american who is associated with the USAG in Garmisch came back after a trip from an EU country and continued to attend various parties/bars inspite of not feeling well. Of the 33 infected, 24 were staying at the AFRC she was living in.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Had to think of this thread yesterday when the news of the superspreader in Garmisch Patenkirchen came out: a young american who is associated with the USAG in Garmisch came back after a trip from an EU country and continued to attend various parties/bars inspite of not feeling well. Of the 33 infected, 24 were staying at the AFRC she was living in.
The AP news' coverage of the incident is here:

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...ke-in-germany/
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: AC MM
GERMANY quarantine question

We are already in Germany and have not been in any of the high risk areas (Zurich & Dusseldorf) coming from Vancouver, Canada 7 days ago.
However we would still like to do a test on Monday when we are in Munich and are planning to do so at the airport as we would like to enter Austria and maybe Slovenia.
While we are quite confident that it will be negative, there is of course no way of saying if we did pick it up somewhere despite of all the precautions.

In case that the test result comes back postive, how would the 10 day quarantine have to be handled? Can we book a hotel of our choice and stay there for the duration?
Just want to be prepared for the unlikely case of unexpectedly being positive.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:42 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I think you simply can not do this.
The Bavaria web page is quite clear:
https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/coronavirus/

Beherbergungsbetriebe

Das Bayerische Gesundheitsministerium kann im Bayerischen Ministerialblatt Landkreise, Gemeinden oder abgegrenzte Gemeindeteile innerhalb Deutschlands als Risikogebiete bekanntgeben. Beherbergungsbetriebe dürfen keine Gäste aufnehmen, die aus einem der vom Bayerischen Gesundheitsministerium bekanntgegebenen Risikogebiete anreisen oder dort ihren Wohnsitz haben. Ausgenommen sind Gäste, die über ein ärztliches Zeugnis in deutscher oder englischer Sprache verfügen. Dieses muss bestätigen, dass keine Anhaltspunkte für eine Infektion mit dem Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 vorliegen. Auf Verlangen muss dieses der zuständigen Kreisverwaltungsbehörde unverzüglich vorgelegt werden.
Translation:
The Bavarian Ministry of Health can announce districts, municipalities or demarcated parts of the municipality within Germany as risk areas in the Bavarian Ministerialblatt. Accommodation establishments are not allowed to accept guests who arrive from one of the risk areas announced by the Bavarian Ministry of Health or who are domiciled there. This does not apply to guests who have a medical certificate in German or English. This must confirm that there are no indications of an infection with the SARS- CoV -2 coronavirus . Upon request, this must be presented to the responsible district administration authority immediately.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Accommodation establishments are not allowed to accept guests who arrive from one of the risk areas announced by the Bavarian Ministry of Health or who are domiciled there. This does not apply to guests who have a medical certificate in German or English. This must confirm that there are no indications of an infection with the SARS- CoV -2 coronavirus.
This rule clearly does not apply. It applies to guests arriving from one of the risk areas announced by the Bavarian Ministry of Health or who are domiciled there.

User yvrcnx specifically mentioned he will NOT arrive from a risk area.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:22 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I agree. But then what is the logic ? If you arrive from a high risk area and your test is positive you can not stay while if you do not arrive from a high risk area and your test is positive you can stay ?

With a positive test I can not see the hotel accepting him whatever his origin is.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:59 am

We have decided not to go to Austria and Slovenia but instead will stay in Germany from where we are flying back to Switzerland in about a couple of weeks.
We might go from there to Sweden as well as to Northern Portugal, all depending on the situation to make sure we are not entering any high risk area during our time here.

With this in mind, we are not going to a test at this time and rather just go and stay in places which allow us to do so without major disruptions or worries like you mentioned above which somehow doesn't make sense but it's obviously the countries rules and regulations which we have to abide by.

I do wonder what they would do with someone who is already in the country, did not come from a high risk area but test positive. Where would they want the person to go and stay? Some countries have specific hotels where people can go to for quarantine and I can understand that it would be a big concern for any hotel accepting a positive case to wait out their 10 day quarantine there.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I do wonder what they would do with someone who is already in the country, did not come from a high risk area but test positive. Where would they want the person to go and stay? Some countries have specific hotels where people can go to for quarantine and I can understand that it would be a big concern for any hotel accepting a positive case to wait out their 10 day quarantine there.
To tell you the truth, I get the impression this is not fully thought through. If I came in the situation you layed out in your previous post, I'd just contact the health authority (called "Referat für Gesundheit und Umwelt" in Munich) and work something out with them. You can call me biased--I'm German and think Germany's covid-19 strategy has, generally speaking, been a success. But surely there are some quirks which haven't been fully thought through yet--the scenario you described doesn't occur all that often, me thinks
fransknorge likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
To tell you the truth, I get the impression this is not fully thought through. If I came in the situation you layed out in your previous post, I'd just contact the health authority (called "Referat für Gesundheit und Umwelt" in Munich) and work something out with them. You can call me biased--I'm German and think Germany's covid-19 strategy has, generally speaking, been a success. But surely there are some quirks which haven't been fully thought through yet--the scenario you described doesn't occur all that often, me thinks
As you said, this is probably a very unlikely scenario and with all that is happening, it's probably not easy to have rules and laws for every single situation.
I agree that Germany has done very well and it's honestly one of the few countries where I feel comfortable traveling in, most of all with regards to feeling safe and also can somewhat forsee which regions in Germany and other parts of Europe might move to risk areas, allowing me to plan accordingly.

I am checking the RKI site with the per 100,000 numers in Germany every day and I am always ready to change our tour plans if I see that any particular area has a significant increase.

We are currently in Bavaria (Starnberger See & Munich), tomorrow we are driving to the Chiemsee and I was surprised that only about half the people in Munich city center were wearing masks. I thought it was made mandatory a few days ago due to increasing numbers though it seems they have decreased again already.

Later this week we are going to Nuremberg, Rothenburg and Miltenberg. Had it not been for this virus, I doubt I would do such in depth tour of Germany which I am loving more and more.
Who knew there were so many beautiful, picturesque and romantic places here.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Germany has done well because if Germans are good at any two things it’s 1) Being orderly and following government mandates 2) They are extremely clean.

They yell at you for J-walking for crissakes! Every single hotel I’ve ever been to before Covid in Germany has always been super clean. The German success of their Covid plan is no surprise to me. As an American, I wish I could stay and be there right now.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Germany has done well because if Germans are good at any two things it’s 1) Being orderly and following government mandates 2) They are extremely clean.

They yell at you for J-walking for crissakes! Every single hotel I’ve ever been to before Covid in Germany has always been super clean. The German success of their Covid plan is no surprise to me. As an American, I wish I could stay and be there right now.
At the moment it´s not that great. Also regulations are pure chaos since last week. At the moment it´s likely I´m not able to stay next week because my hometown could get a risk area. But I´m able without problems to stay in Italy. Totally wired.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Due to LH schedule change (again) can European passenger traveling from Spain to stay overnight in a hotel next to FRA Airport and continue journey next morning to home country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.