Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"must" do in Hamburg?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
HVV and perfect - as an almost daily commuter on it, I beg to differ ..
Just like London tube or paris Metro/RER then - if you have to get on a packed train every morning/evening peak to get to work or to return home, it's a complete pain in the lower back. If you're a tourist from Denver, Co., never mind from Windytown, Wy., and hit the town after a leisurly breakfast at about 9:30 am, you'll be in awe. Mainly about the fact that there is integrated public transport in the first place.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Crowded peak times is a different thing - the overall reliability is completly down the Elbe river. No help if there is transport - just not running right now, because <some excuse>.
But hey, millions spend we can now take the subway from the Hauptbahnhof to Hafencity -- wohooo!

Before coming way too far in OMNI land: maybe not a "must do", but I liked that Hamburg got a growing number of "Escape Rooms" over the last year(s).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Before coming way too far in OMNI land: maybe not a "must do", but I liked that Hamburg got a growing number of "Escape Rooms" over the last year(s).
I have the impression they are growing all over Germany at the moment.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Sunday?

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yes, many of us have been to Hamburg and posted trip reports as well. And there is a public transit system. The Elbephilarmonie hall is also the most noted current attraction , with lines for tickets to even just view. Tickets for concerts, of course, have been selling out months in advance. Thanks for the "expert" info.
The Elbephilarmonie is also home to a new Westin, right?
Alas, I am staying at Le Meridien. Any specific tips for a Sunday in Hamburg are appreciated? (I doubt that Airbus is open? What about the fish market?) (I saw the fish market in Chinatown Saigon recently and - amazingly - it opens at 1 am and closes at sunrise!)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The Elbephilarmonie is also home to a new Westin, right?
Alas, I am staying at Le Meridien. Any specific tips for a Sunday in Hamburg are appreciated? (I doubt that Airbus is open? What about the fish market?) (I saw the fish market in Chinatown Saigon recently and - amazingly - it opens at 1 am and closes at sunrise!)
Yes it is (re Westin).
What time of year are you going? If it's nice out, Sunday is a perfect day for a pedal boat on the Alster or a walk through Planten un Blomen. All the museums are open.
don't know about Airbus or fish market.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Airbus Finkenwerder is indeed closed on Sundays, if you can make it Saturday, that would work - more Information -> https://werksfuehrung.de/en/english/...r-from-nov1th/

Fishmarket starts at 7 (Winter) or 5 (Summer) and ends around 9:30 -> Hamburg Fish Market - Official Hamburg Tourismus website
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:43 am

For everybody who is interested in, we did some nice pictures from the ice on the Elbe river this year.
However, hope to have some spring pictures soon as well ... :-)

Last edited by GT80; Mar 25, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:15 pm

I would have another recommendation to be shared with you.

Hamburg Metrostation "Universität" operated by U4 line is performing an hourly acoustic and visual show.
However this is done only on weekend days and public bank-holidays every full hour between 10:00am - 06:00pm.
You have nothing to pay; just leave the Metro at the station and enjoy the show.

PAX_fips, offerendum and glennaa11 like this.

Last edited by GT80; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA
Airbus Finkenwerder is indeed closed on Sundays, if you can make it Saturday, that would work - more Information -> https://werksfuehrung.de/en/english/...r-from-nov1th/

Fishmarket starts at 7 (Winter) or 5 (Summer) and ends around 9:30 -> Hamburg Fish Market - Official Hamburg Tourismus website
AIrbus Finkenwerder is very well worth it. Also compared to Boeing Everett: Small but close to the action vs. humunguous impressive but mostly far away from the action. No ideathough how difficult it is to get to Finkenwerder if you do not have a car. There are buses, but like every city, thats the most difficult to figure out part of public transport ;-)

If you go to the fishmarket on sunday, you may want to consider to eat early morning brunch there, starts at 6 AM. Very rustic hamburg style. But you better reserve a table.

They do not have the brunch web page in english, but just read it via google translate. Pretty sure you can reserve over the phone in english.

Brunchangebot - Fischauktionshalle Hamburg

Last edited by te36; Aug 23, 2018 at 11:51 pm Reason: forgot pointer
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Just like London tube or paris Metro/RER then - if you have to get on a packed train every morning/evening peak to get to work or to return home, it's a complete pain in the lower back. If you're a tourist from Denver, Co., never mind from Windytown, Wy., and hit the town after a leisurly breakfast at about 9:30 am, you'll be in awe. Mainly about the fact that there is integrated public transport in the first place.
The most fun part about "integrated public transport" in Hamburg IMHO is that it includes ferries and you can use them on your normal HVV public transport ticket.

One simple and short option is to walk through the old Elbe tunnel (from St. Pauli Landungsbruecken) and then take the ferry back (or vice versa). That route was part of my commute to a shipyard a few decades ago. Definitely a lot more fun as a tourist after 9:30 in summer than at 5:30 AM in winter as a commuter.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Will be in Hamburg for 2 days / 3 nights this coming August. My now 9 year old discovered the Knuffingen videos many years ago and visiting MW has been on our travel list for a while. Our first day is a Sunday and we will spend as much time there as our 3 year old can stand. I noticed they are open really late - 11 PM Sunday and midnight Monday — anyone have an idea of how crowded the evenings are?

Other things on our list include the BallinStadt Emigration Museum (many of my ancestors passed through Hamburg on their way to the US) and maybe a visit out to the town of Buchholz in der Nordheide (which is the original spelling of my family’s name - so have to get a picture of us in front of some sign)..

Currently staying at the Reichshof due to HH status and their having a Jr. suite (and an Amex offer for Hilton properties in Europe on multiple cards) but keeping an eye on the Westin if a family rate/deal comes up. (Kids would love the water view).

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but does anyone have an idea how I could get a 9 year old on to the Airbus tour? He is very into planes and the A380 is his favorite (to illustrate he was asked to draw his vision of god in Sunday school - the result was an El Al looking A380). It would be our #1 to-see in Hamburg even over MW except minimum age on the tour website says 14+.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
age 7 v. 14 on tour

IMO, the Germans are very strict when it comes to "rules". Unless he looks 14 and is prepared to lie, I would not recommend it.
BTW, the simulator tour looks more interesting than the tour. I have been on Boeing's Everett tour and it was meh. Too many people, too much noise, zero time for questions. On the other hand, the Airbus swag looks awesome. I suggest you skip the tour and order on line.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
IMO, the Germans are very strict when it comes to "rules".
Really?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
IMO, the Germans are very strict when it comes to "rules". Unless he looks 14 and is prepared to lie, I would not recommend it.
And there is no way to lie, once you get there you have to checkin at the globetrotter store, they check everyone‘s passports.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by te36
AIrbus Finkenwerder is very well worth it. Also compared to Boeing Everett: Small but close to the action vs. humunguous impressive but mostly far away from the action. No ideathough how difficult it is to get to Finkenwerder if you do not have a car. There are buses, but like every city, thats the most difficult to figure out part of public transport ;-)

Brunchangebot - Fischauktionshalle Hamburg
Why is it difficult if you dont have a car ? (Another poster even mentioned taking a taxi, thats ridiculous, a taxi for that distance probably cost 30 euro each way vs a day pass on S-bahn only cost 6.60 euro, that valid on S-bahn, buses, ferries) Ever heard of google map ? Even if you dont know how to use google map, the tour company globetrotter (it is the only tour company that you have to register with in order to do the Airbus tour) will send you a voucher plus maps and directions how to get there by public transportation after you registered and paid, you just basically take the 150 bus from S-bahn Hamburg-Altona, it runs every 15 min, it takes about an hour to get there, then you get off the bus stop said "Airbus", it flashes the bus stop coming up inside the bus screen, it is right outside the gate.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 5, 2020 at 10:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.