Wiki Posts
Search

"must" do in Hamburg?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
"must" do in Hamburg?

Going to spend 2 nights in Hamburg, 1 at the beginning and 1 at the end of our UK trip. Staying at Reichshof, part of the Hilton Curio collection.

We have a personal Beatle's tour lined up, but what else MUST we do?

Thanks for any help!!
Old May 13, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
the fish market in the early morning! might be only saturdays(?). lots more than just fish there.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Well, we'll be there on a Monday and a Wednesday in September. (Found business saver on UA going through HAM.)

On Monday we will arrive in the early morning and will be there 24 hours before leaving for LHR.
Old May 14, 2016, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Depends on your personal preferences. I recommend the Speicherstadt, a horbor tour, the town hall. Also many interesting Museums, but again a question of Preference.
Old May 14, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Speicherstadt, Reeperbahn, Landungsbrücken, the old tunnel crossing the Elbe, the shopping possibilities that are south of the central railway station and go all the way down to the bottom of smaller Alster.

If you're into airplanes, you could make a tour of the Airbus factory in Finkenwerder. Unfortunately, their ferry boats no longer stop there, making getting there a lot harder than it used to be. I never did the tour due to the lack of time.

There are far more things to do in Hamburg, but you'll probably need more time. If you're traveling with kids, you might go to Miniatur Wunderland. It's a huge display with miniature cars, trains, aircrafts and worlds (apparently it's over 1,500 square-meters large). For the visit, you'll need however a lot of time.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Miniatur Wunderland... not just for kids! If you don't have time, just visiting the model airport is worth the price of admission. To say my mind was blown would be an understatement.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Miniatur Wunderland... not just for kids!
I visited it to back in 2003. I remember spending an entire afternoon there. To be fair, the queues were enormous. And back then major parts were missing (the airport, Scandinavia, Switzerland, the US, etc...)
Old May 14, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Def minitatur wonderland, during the week when it opens in the morning.. Went 8 weeks ago, also stayed at Reichshof and MW was empty, 2-3 h after opening it got busy

Name:  30hnaer.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  97.4 KB
Old May 14, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all! Miniatur Wunderland, was not considering that, but will reexamine that idea!
Old May 14, 2016, 6:02 am

Given that it is in the Speicherstadt district, you'll be able to combine both. First doing MW (if you're interested in that) and then the very impressive Speicherstadt with its bridges and waterways.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Adele about MW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmjAaZOe9o
Old May 14, 2016, 9:21 am

I didn't know that it was THAT popular.

But Adele resuming it up pretty nicely "It's like real life". The team behind it really aim for a mind boggling level of authenticity. And the details are indeed astonishing (speed cameras, fire fighters moving out every x minutes, concerts, etc... ). If you're going, do check out the website first. For every section, they make recommendations what to look for.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I have kept seeing the Miniatur Wunderland mentioned but just couldn't believe it was worth it for adults. Ya learn something new all the time!
Old May 14, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Realistic?
Attached Images  
dhammer53 likes this.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

IceTrojan, that is crazy! I had no idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.