FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   "must" do in Hamburg? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1765801-must-do-hamburg.html)

clkc86 May 13, 2016 6:26 pm

"must" do in Hamburg?

Going to spend 2 nights in Hamburg, 1 at the beginning and 1 at the end of our UK trip. Staying at Reichshof, part of the Hilton Curio collection.

We have a personal Beatle's tour lined up, but what else MUST we do?

Thanks for any help!!

odin99 May 13, 2016 7:18 pm

the fish market in the early morning! might be only saturdays(?). lots more than just fish there.

clkc86 May 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Well, we'll be there on a Monday and a Wednesday in September. (Found business saver on UA going through HAM.)

On Monday we will arrive in the early morning and will be there 24 hours before leaving for LHR.

offerendum May 14, 2016 3:21 am

Depends on your personal preferences. I recommend the Speicherstadt, a horbor tour, the town hall. Also many interesting Museums, but again a question of Preference.

WorldLux May 14, 2016 3:46 am

Speicherstadt, Reeperbahn, Landungsbrücken, the old tunnel crossing the Elbe, the shopping possibilities that are south of the central railway station and go all the way down to the bottom of smaller Alster.

If you're into airplanes, you could make a tour of the Airbus factory in Finkenwerder. Unfortunately, their ferry boats no longer stop there, making getting there a lot harder than it used to be. I never did the tour due to the lack of time.

There are far more things to do in Hamburg, but you'll probably need more time. If you're traveling with kids, you might go to Miniatur Wunderland. It's a huge display with miniature cars, trains, aircrafts and worlds (apparently it's over 1,500 square-meters large). For the visit, you'll need however a lot of time.

IceTrojan May 14, 2016 4:03 am

Miniatur Wunderland... not just for kids! If you don't have time, just visiting the model airport is worth the price of admission. To say my mind was blown would be an understatement.

WorldLux May 14, 2016 4:19 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 26623998)
Miniatur Wunderland... not just for kids!

:D I visited it to back in 2003. I remember spending an entire afternoon there. To be fair, the queues were enormous. And back then major parts were missing (the airport, Scandinavia, Switzerland, the US, etc...)

aysoo May 14, 2016 4:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
Def minitatur wonderland, during the week when it opens in the morning.. Went 8 weeks ago, also stayed at Reichshof and MW was empty, 2-3 h after opening it got busy

Attachment 9570

clkc86 May 14, 2016 5:57 am

Wow! Thank you all! Miniatur Wunderland, was not considering that, but will reexamine that idea!

WorldLux May 14, 2016 6:02 am

Given that it is in the Speicherstadt district, you'll be able to combine both. First doing MW (if you're interested in that) and then the very impressive Speicherstadt with its bridges and waterways.

aysoo May 14, 2016 8:30 am

Adele about MW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmjAaZOe9o

WorldLux May 14, 2016 9:21 am

:eek: I didn't know that it was THAT popular.

But Adele resuming it up pretty nicely "It's like real life". The team behind it really aim for a mind boggling level of authenticity. And the details are indeed astonishing (speed cameras, fire fighters moving out every x minutes, concerts, etc... ). If you're going, do check out the website first. For every section, they make recommendations what to look for.

clkc86 May 14, 2016 12:03 pm

I have kept seeing the Miniatur Wunderland mentioned but just couldn't believe it was worth it for adults. Ya learn something new all the time!

IceTrojan May 14, 2016 12:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Realistic?

clkc86 May 14, 2016 12:58 pm

IceTrojan, that is crazy! I had no idea!