Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Getting a prescription medication filled at FRA

Getting a prescription medication filled at FRA

Old Feb 3, 20, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling to FRA from the US. I've realized that I forgot one of my prescription medications. I noticed that there are 4 Metropolitan Pharmacy locations at the airport. Would my US physician be able to send a prescription there to be filled? I will be staying at the Sheraton right at the airport.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

​​​​​​**Edit: the medication is an antidepressant (venlafaxine/effexor). I won't die if I don't take it but will seriously feel awful as there are "withdrawal" effects. I'm only here for two nights but have to travel on to Canada before heading back home (5 total nights away)

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 5, 20 at 6:40 am
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:04 pm

As far as I know, this is not possible. The closest thing possible is having your physician send the actual medicine to the German pharmacy to be picked up. I think the best way for you is to present yourselve to a local doc, e.g. the FRA airport medical center and get a local prescription.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
As far as I know, this is not possible. The closest thing possible is having your physician send the actual medicine to the German pharmacy to be picked up. I think the best way for you is to present yourselve to a local doc, e.g. the FRA airport medical center and get a local prescription.
Once upon a time I was able to get a UK prescription fulfilled in Berlin by a pharmacist.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
In France some time ago, the pharmacist could prescribe certain drugs. I canít quite remember but I think I got one for antibiotics for a sinus infection. Perhaps depending on the drug it may be less controlled in FRA.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the US doc is also licensed to prescribe in Germany and has the equipment to transmit a German prescription, this will not work.

Your hotel, the US Consulate in Frankfurt, or perhaps a friend / colleague can recommend a local doctor who can speak with your US doc and, depending on the med. prescribe it.

Depending on what the medication is, it may be possible for a friend/relative in the US to overnight the meds to you, presuming that they can get access.

All of this is dependent on the specific medication.
seawolf likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Once upon a time I was able to get a UK prescription fulfilled in Berlin by a pharmacist.
Well, there was a time UK was in the EU...(*) and in the EU prescription from any physician can be used in any pharmacy. The only issue could be, that in the country you try to get the medication, they won't carry it. But then they usually would find a suitable alternative.

See here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

(*) which means, this - at least officially - seized to be in effect for UK docs or UK pharmacies. Same as the One Stop Security agreement, I guess there are soooooo many agreements which are now void and nobody really realizes this until hit by it.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Unless the US doc is also licensed to prescribe in Germany and has the equipment to transmit a German prescription, this will not work.

Your hotel, the US Consulate in Frankfurt, or perhaps a friend / colleague can recommend a local doctor who can speak with your US doc and, depending on the med. prescribe it.
Like said, just visit the medical care center in FRA. If it is just getting a prescription for some more or less common condition, they can issue a prescription in 5 minutes. Best bring a letter from your doc. Or have them call.

Depending on what the medication is, it may be possible for a friend/relative in the US to overnight the meds to you, presuming that they can get access.

All of this is dependent on the specific medication.
Wouldn't advise this. First, you have to clear it through customs which for prescription drugs is a mess as a private person. And also you run into risk of trafficking controlled substances.

Last edited by fassy; Feb 3, 20 at 2:24 pm
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
In France some time ago, the pharmacist could prescribe certain drugs. I canít quite remember but I think I got one for antibiotics for a sinus infection. Perhaps depending on the drug it may be less controlled in FRA.
Every year, on one of my trips overseas, I purchase a tube of Voltaren Gel (NSAID effective for muscle pain) over the counter or even off the shelf. This is only available by prescription in the US. In Greece, a pharmacist was able to give my wife a very strong antibiotic for a stomach bug. Again by prescription only in the US.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:21 pm

Well, there was a time UK was in the EU...(*) and in the EU prescription from any physician can be used in any pharmacy. The only issue could be, that in the country you try to get the medication, they won't carry it. But then they usually would find a suitable alternative.

(*) which means, this - at least officially - seized to be in effect for UK docs or UK pharmacies. Same as the One Stop Security agreement, I guess there are soooooo many agreements which are now void and nobody really realizes this until hit by it.
Transition still applies and this is still possible AND may continue to be possible post December 31. Unless you know something the rest of us don't?
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Transition still applies and this is still possible AND may continue to be possible post December 31. Unless you know something the rest of us don't?
No, I don't. I'm not following the whole Brexit stuff to close. Just wondering if they will find all those agreements and which of them will fall through the cracks.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:27 pm

No, I don't. I'm not following the whole Brexit stuff to close. Just wondering if they will find all those agreements and which of them will fall through the cracks.
It should be a national competence. Subsidiarity will soon be deleted from the dictionary if the EU gets their way.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Like said, just visit the medical care center in FRA. If it is just getting a prescription for some more or less common condition, they can issue a prescription in 5 minutes. Best bring a letter from your doc. Or have them call.

Wouldn't advise this. First, you have to clear it through customs which for prescription drugs is a mess as a private person. And also you run into risk of trafficking controlled substances.
Please read what I wrote.Specifically the part where I note that this is dependent on the specific medicine.

Why do you presuppose that OP's prescription is for a controlled substance (or at least a Schedule II or III)?

It may or may not be possible on the facts o OP's situation, but fear-mongering is the wrong way to go when you do not have the facts.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:48 pm

if you go to the medical care center in FRA , what is the cost if you do not have an EU passport ?
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why do you presuppose that OP's prescription is for a controlled substance (or at least a Schedule II or III)?
Without OP's mentioning of the actual medication, I would believe that such assumption would be for the best of the discussion, as a CSA medication, especially C2, is subject to numerous barriers. So we are talking about the best case for the worst scenario.
Old Feb 3, 20, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
if you go to the medical care center in FRA , what is the cost if you do not have an EU passport ?
If you have insurance, 0. If not, I guess not more than 100EUR. Probably much less.

Please read what I wrote.Specifically the part where I note that this is dependent on the specific medicine.

It may or may not be possible on the facts o OP's situation, but fear-mongering is the wrong way to go when you do not have the facts.
I saw your comment. The problem, and my warning, is that most normal people - even some US health care professionals - wouldn't have any idea if a US prescription drug would be a controlled substance in EU or not. And the second part, that clearing them out of customs always applies. Believe me, it is a mess as a private person. Did that, not again.

Better option is, to have them ship from a US pharmacy or clinic to an EU pharmacy or clinic for pick up.

And the MUCH easier option is, just drop in the airport clinic. Why take all that risk, costs (overnight shipping and customs clearing won't be cheap) and inconvenience if you can just fix this with a 5 min trip to the docs in terminal? (https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...ersorgung.html)

Last edited by fassy; Feb 3, 20 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:59 pm

Theoretically it should be possible, because for private prescriptions (i.e. which you pay yourself) there is no need to use a special form. However, if the prescription would be transferred electronically (which would be the case in your situation, i assume), it needs to contain a qualified electronic signature, which then both your physician and the pharmacy need to support.
There is also section in the relevant law for prescription drugs, which only describes prescriptions from the EU or EWR countries as equivalent to a german prescription, although i don't speak "Law German" very well, so i'm not sure if this would automatically exclude a prescription from a US based physician.
All in all, i wouldn't have much hope to get the prescription. Depending what kind of medication it is, there might be an prescription free alternative however. If it is not too personal, you can post the medicine or the name of the active component here, and we can have a look.

What you can also try (depending on how long you stay in Frankfurt), is to check with the Medical Center at the airport, if they can give you a proper german prescription for your medication.

Last edited by Fireflyer05; Feb 3, 20 at 6:22 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: