Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Unless i'm mistaken, this does not exist in France (at least in major resorts such as 3V, Paradiski...)

i guess you had a look to ski pass fares, how do they compare to US prices ?
3v sits at around $60 avg/day. This compares reasonably (a bit on the high side, actually) with the avg daily prices of multi-day passes at US resorts (eg canyons in utah ($50 avg/day).

All in price, however, is a whole different animal. Man are european resorts expensive...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I was in the 3 Vallées this week end and the snow condtions are still excellent.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:30 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bodory
I was in the 3 Vallées this week end and the snow condtions are still excellent.
I was there last week; the weather was great, but the staff from the operating companies told me it was too late (not enough snow) to go down to Brides (alt. 600m). They recommended that I go for the itinerary from the top of the Roc de Fer chairlift to Les Allues (beginning of Olympe2), but I did not have the time to go there.

The Saulire Express 2 from Méribel to La Saulire and the replacement next year of Les Plattières from Méribel Mottaret should reduce transit times significantly.

Last edited by JOUY31; Feb 29, 2012 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Brides was indeed not reachable by ski. But for sure were Les Allues, St-Bon and possibly Bozel (because on a Northern route than Brides). On Sunday the slopes were pretty empty : I managed to take 12 runs/lifts between 1 pm and 4 pm. On most lifts, I was alone. Monday and Tuesday were more crowded.

I was told that today was an outstanding sunny day and that the snow is quickly melting. Fresh snow is foreacted for next Sunday however, possibly making the Brides itinerary doable.

I have hardly seen so much snow in the past years. In Les Granges area in Moriond, the snow almost cover the road signs at the entrance of the Les Avals road. Very impressive!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:39 pm

Back from La Plagne (again) and i must say this really now feels like the end...Still a lot of snow but Spring has come: a bit icy in the morning and then slushy snow in the afternoon. Not too hot though when riding but pretty hot on a terrace. Was a good week end though, not many people on the slopes ^
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: QF, HH
Just wondering if its possible to stay at Le Fontenay in Passy without a car. I mean, will there be places within 40 minutes walking distance where I can get food other than the hotel restaurant?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Hello FlyerTalk!

Wife and I recently moved from NYC to London and we wanted to try our hand at skiing in the French Alps. We are both strong skiers, we can handle any blue and nearly any black in Vermonth and dial that back a bit for CO (we have been to steamboat twice).

Our question is how to we go about booking something. We have found the Thomson Ski, Igloo Ski, and some other travel agent/booking sites for packages. Is this the best way? Back home i would book everything, but since we are so uncertain about locations and logistics a package seems the way to go.

We are currently looking at Trois Vallees, Val D'isere, Les Arcs, Les Deux Alpes.

We really aren't picky. We are looking for a a place known for the skiing not for the town. Kind of why we liked Steamboat. We are looking at 6-7 nights in late February leaving on the 23rd to avoid the mid term break.

The prices we have seen are from GBP 400-650pp. We would like to keep our all in budget (food, travel, lodging) to under GBP1300. If we can get lifts and rental (advanced) included then all the better, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks All!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Hi Flynace2000

You can't go wrong with all that places: 3Vallées, Les Arcs which are now linked to La Plagne, Tignes-Val d'Isère...
You should have a look to each resort own website to figure out about accommodation, lifts...
http://www.les3vallees.com/en/accueil.1.l2/
One important thing is to avoid french school holidayss during february/march especially when Parisians are there
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:53 pm

Can you expand on when the Parisian holiday weeks are. I am pretty sure the week we selected is not a holiday week since it was about £400 cheaper than the week before it!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Here you go. It's not just the Parisiens though. http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid2505...ostal+ou+ville and the Swiss children are on break around the same time.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:01 pm

What about the package deals from the bookers in the UK. Are they reliable?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Can you expand on when the Parisian holiday weeks are. I am pretty sure the week we selected is not a holiday week since it was about £400 cheaper than the week before it!
Originally Posted by stimpy
Here you go. It's not just the Parisiens though. http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid2505...ostal+ou+ville and the Swiss children are on break around the same time.
Probably easier to understand (school holidays are the weeks in yellow, red, blue). Try to avoid yellow
http://www.calendriergratuit.fr/calendrier-2013.htm
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Oh yeah : http://courchevel.livecam360.net/sau...r=44&z=60&tl=0
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by bodory
aaah the top of La Saulire ^
Merci
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
We did Jura for NYE. The conditions on the 31st were excellent. http://www.lesrousses.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.