Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Lucky you ! Have you tried Jockeys or Jean Blanc and are you planning on going down to Brides ?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Hi

Jean Blanc no, Jockeys yes ! And it was good. So was our lunch at Le Blanchot in Meribel.

The Brides itinerary was not passable, even if there is still some snow at Brides.
But I have no doubt it was a few days ago. Too bad I was there only for the week end.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Any advice for where to ski and stay during les vacances scolaires? Thinking of Feb 13-16th. It seems that all the hotels in Switzerland are booked up so I guess we'll do Chamonix.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Any advice for where to ski and stay during les vacances scolaires? Thinking of Feb 13-16th. It seems that all the hotels in Switzerland are booked up so I guess we'll do Chamonix.
This is definitely the worst period to go skiing...
I haven't been in Chamonix for years, but i would guess hotels are probably packed.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:58 pm

A few pix from my week end in La Clusaz.
Can't wait to go snowboarding again!!!

Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone skied at Les Habères? I can get a reasonably priced hotel near Geneve and get there in an hour. Seems pretty good from what I have read so far.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: FB Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
So happy that my local ski resort is not listed; I bloody dislike les parisgos et marseillais that have no slope etiquette.

Don't forget your student IDs, you can still get discount even if you're studying in another country.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Well, I am not sure a lot of Parisiens and Marseillais go to ski in Northern Virginia, even without their slope etiquette.

Albeit with the current snowstorm, I may be tempted
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: FB Gold, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory
Well, I am not sure a lot of Parisiens and Marseillais go to ski in Northern Virginia, even without their slope etiquette.

Albeit with the current snowstorm, I may be tempted
I grew up and spend hopefully my winter holidays in Grenoble to see my dad and his side of the family (ahh, who am I kidding, it s to go snowboarding ).
Here in NoVA, the only thing you can do is cross country skiing...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Has anyone skied at Les Habères? I can get a reasonably priced hotel near Geneve and get there in an hour. Seems pretty good from what I have read so far.
I will answer my own question to say that Les Habères and Vallée Verte in general is a great place to ski. Even during the vacance it wasn't overcrowded. I guess this place isn't as popular as Chamonix.

The summit is only 1600 meters, but that was fine for me and the skiing was great. On the lower slopes it was a bit busy as this is a family friendly area, but the upper slopes were perfect.

Only about 30-40 minutes from GVA. ^
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Awful weather in 3 Vallées the past week end. Almost 20°C under the sun in La Chaudanne @ noon the day before, the snow is quickly melting.

However, great ski de printemps upcoming.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Winter is now back since a few weeks. Let's dig up, not the snow but, the thread.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to ski yet that winter, would it be in France or in Switzerland. All my attempts have been cancelled

But I am waiting to hear from you FTers.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
Winter is now back since a few weeks. Let's dig up, not the snow but, the thread.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to ski yet that winter, would it be in France or in Switzerland. All my attempts have been cancelled

But I am waiting to hear from you FTers.
Stay tuned, i will report once i taste some fresh powder...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:49 am
Original Poster

I am going to Chambéry this afternoon. Unfortunately, that is for a meeting and I will have no spare time to climb...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I've got a week booked in Chamonix at the end of the month. Fingers crossed for this warm weather to pass and a few more dumpings of the white stuff before then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.