Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm not sure yet, but this year we may cross through the Mont Blanc tunnel and visit la Val d'Aoste, Italie. We've done this many times and love that area. It's very close to France and you find more people who speak French than anywhere else in Italy.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I haven't been to Courchevel this year (yet) and am longing for a nice, peaceful dinner at the Chabichou .
If you intend to go there for skiing, you should definitely wait a couple of weeks before it gets some fresh snow.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
If you intend to go there for skiing, you should definitely wait a couple of weeks before it gets some fresh snow.
I am currently staying in Courchevel and for sure the snow is missing on and outside the slopes. It is nevertheless possible to find some good snow between 10 am and 2 pm. And suprisingly, there are not so many people : the resorts are very quiet.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
I am currently staying in Courchevel and for sure the snow is missing on and outside the slopes. It is nevertheless possible to find some good snow between 10 am and 2 pm. And suprisingly, there are not so many people : the resorts are very quiet.
no sign of fresh snow so far?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Less than 5 cm during the last 24h.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:36 pm

I just got back from a 3 days week end in La Plagne and it now seems this is the end of the riding season... : warm weather, too much sun and snow is desperatly melting
Expect some deep spring/summer conditions if heading to the Alps
I hope next winter season will be better than this one.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I was thinking of going to Courchevel the next but my friends up there just told me the snow is getting brown at 2000 meters.

Let's hop for some snowfalls before saturday.

Really a season to forget.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:40 pm

I was thinking of going to Courchevel the next but my friends up there just told me the snow is getting brown at 2000 meters.

Let's hop for some snowfalls before saturday.

Really a season to forget.
it is dark BROWN + Stones on some slopes...
one of the worst season for many years
too bad i bought a brand new snowboard two months ago
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

More than 20°C forecasted this week end in the Alpes...
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Have a look at the Chaudanne Livecam in Meribel : http://livecam.meribel-alpina.com/

Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:33 am

Have a look at the Chaudanne Livecam in Meribel : http://livecam.meribel-alpina.com/

This looks like the end of the season, but a least sun is still shining...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I need some advice. I am planning on going skiing briefly this February in France. I have a ticket to arrive in Geneva late on a Saturday evening and am departing out of Paris the following Wednesday morning.

I am debating between Portes du Soleil and maybe Tignes. PdS is, logistically, a lot easier, but I'm not entirely confident about the quality of the snow and skiing. Portes du Soleil is quite large, and I actually went hiking there two summers ago. Most of the lifts seem a bit older, and the elevations are a bit lower. I really enjoyed the above the trees, in the clouds feel of the upper levels of Les Arcs. Is it worth it to head a bit south towards Bourg Saint Maurice? Basically, since I'm coming from the US, I want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

I have skiied at the following places in the area, for comparison: Les Arcs, Valthorens, Valfrejus, Aussois, and Valcenis.

Also, I will be travelling alone, so I'd like to go somewhere where I can get out and hang out with people. I speak French, so that is not a problem. I have a reservation currently at the Logis Gentiana in Tignes and found a room in Morzine at the Ridge Hotel. Anyone have any experience?

Last edited by kahuna613; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My advice is to avoid vacances scolaires in February. This year they run between February 11th and March 5th across the 3 zones. It would be a bad idea to schedule your skiing during that period.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Yeah that would have been ideal to avoid, but various factors are limiting me to the last few days of February.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kahuna613
Yeah that would have been ideal to avoid, but various factors are limiting me to the last few days of February.
Well then I would suggest arranging your lodging ASAP if you can still find something available. And be prepared to be surrounded by children on the slopes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.