FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The French skiing thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:03 am
kahuna613

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I need some advice. I am planning on going skiing briefly this February in France. I have a ticket to arrive in Geneva late on a Saturday evening and am departing out of Paris the following Wednesday morning.

I am debating between Portes du Soleil and maybe Tignes. PdS is, logistically, a lot easier, but I'm not entirely confident about the quality of the snow and skiing. Portes du Soleil is quite large, and I actually went hiking there two summers ago. Most of the lifts seem a bit older, and the elevations are a bit lower. I really enjoyed the above the trees, in the clouds feel of the upper levels of Les Arcs. Is it worth it to head a bit south towards Bourg Saint Maurice? Basically, since I'm coming from the US, I want to get the biggest bang for my buck.

I have skiied at the following places in the area, for comparison: Les Arcs, Valthorens, Valfrejus, Aussois, and Valcenis.

Also, I will be travelling alone, so I'd like to go somewhere where I can get out and hang out with people. I speak French, so that is not a problem. I have a reservation currently at the Logis Gentiana in Tignes and found a room in Morzine at the Ridge Hotel. Anyone have any experience?

Last edited by kahuna613; Nov 15, 2011 at 10:08 am