Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
We usually try to avoid Courchevel et al, too many people lines way too long, instead we go to http://cortina.dolomiti.org/?lang=en, yes one area is full of people but you can go to another side where you have the mountain all to yourself. Though it is a trek to get there.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I am back from ten days in Courchevel & Meribel : excellent conditions for all type of skis (slopes, backcountry, touring) thanks to impressive snow dumps before Christmas.

Lots of people too, due to a combination of these excellent conditions, the Russian New Year and public holidays.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by bodory
I am back from ten days in Courchevel & Meribel : excellent conditions for all type of skis (slopes, backcountry, touring) thanks to impressive snow dumps before Christmas..
I'll be in the area next week and will have 1 day to ski (a Saturday). Where should I ski for best conditions, shortest lines, etc ? Courchevel or Val Thorens ?

I think I'll be able to sneak in a 1/2 during the week and just planning on skiing Meribel that day. Mostly ski intermediate, cruising type of stuff.

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
I'll be in the area next week and will have 1 day to ski (a Saturday). Where should I ski for best conditions, shortest lines, etc ? Courchevel or Val Thorens ?

I think I'll be able to sneak in a 1/2 during the week and just planning on skiing Meribel that day. Mostly ski intermediate, cruising type of stuff.

Cheers.
- shortest lines: Courchevel
- nicest scenery: Courchevel & Meribel
- greatest number of gondolas (télécabines): Meribel & Courchevel
- easiest tracks: Courchevel, with some difficult ones too, mostly around La Saulire

For intermediate level skiing, Meribel offers a good combination, but longer queues than at Courchevel. On the other hand, Saturdays, especially in January, offer the shortest queues in the week as it is the arrival/departure day of vacationers.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
For intermediate level skiing, Meribel offers a good combination, but longer queues than at Courchevel. On the other hand, Saturdays, especially in January, offer the shortest queues in the week as it is the arrival/departure day of vacationers.
Thanks for the information, JOUY31! We arrived right on time at Wednesday noon time and got in a fabulous 1/2 day skiing in Meribel, mostly up the Saulire Express. The sun was out and it was fantastic. The mountain seemed a little busy, but we never waited for the gondola.

Saturday was a bit overcast, but the conditions were terrific. Skied fresh powder in the morning in Courchevel and then mid day, moved over to Meribel and made our way over to St Martin lifts. Skied the red/blues over there. There was basically no one on any of the mountains on Saturday since it was change over day. We could not believe there were not at least a couple more people. Of course the area is huge so that has something to do with it.

Then because of Heathrow's ineptiness, we got in another 1/2 day on Sunday before heading to the airport for our new flights the next day. We did a run down Saulire, but #2 was closed due to high winds and we skied the other side of Meribel for the 1/2 day since that was where the sun was anyway. Skied mostly from the Tougnete gondola and high speed chairlift. Things were much, much busy this day as everyone had arrived and wanted to ski. Even then, we never waited for the gondola and waited maximum about 8 minutes for the lift.

Overall a great skiing experience for an American. Not likely to get there again until I am old and gray, but very memorable.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:54 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I am glad you enjoyed the experience . I'll be back in Courchevel the first week of March ...

Since you are able to compare the experience with skiing in the US, something that I have not done yet but may do some time, could you possibly highlight the differences in the experience and what to expect for someone who has spent the last four decades skiing (just a few days per year, though ) around Courchevel and La Plagne? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I am glad you enjoyed the experience . I'll be back in Courchevel the first week of March ...

Since you are able to compare the experience with skiing in the US, something that I have not done yet but may do some time, could you possibly highlight the differences in the experience and what to expect for someone who has spent the last four decades skiing (just a few days per year, though ) around Courchevel and La Plagne? Thanks.
This depends on where you are skiing in North America.

Having skied both at Courch. and most of the Colorado / Utah ski areas and throughout BC, I found that the Trois Vallees had much more above treeline skiing, giving you that high alpine bowl skiing feeling.

It is very difficult to get bowl skiing in Colorado. Perhaps Vail's back bowls would be the closest, but it doesn't feel very remote.

Ambience is much better in Europe Skiing. Although they try to create a faux european village in Vail and Whistler, I find that it is not quite the same as the real thing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This depends on where you are skiing in North America.

Having skied both at Courch. and most of the Colorado / Utah ski areas and throughout BC, I found that the Trois Vallees had much more above treeline skiing, giving you that high alpine bowl skiing feeling.

It is very difficult to get bowl skiing in Colorado. Perhaps Vail's back bowls would be the closest, but it doesn't feel very remote.

Ambience is much better in Europe Skiing. Although they try to create a faux european village in Vail and Whistler, I find that it is not quite the same as the real thing.
Thanks for the insight .
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:09 pm

Next Saturday in Courchevel !
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:14 pm

Have fun ! I already miss it...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Me too !
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Transavia will open a bi-weekly ORY-CMF route this winter (Thursday and Sunday) and will also cooperate with the 3 Vallées to send a combined ticket include air+bus to final destination.

Source (in French) : http://www.air-journal.fr/2013-09-13...er-583952.html
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:42 am

Nice. ^

But there can be a lot of traffic between CMF and the Three Valleys (with probably a change of coach at Moûtiers ?). I remember flying close to 30 years ago on the scheduled flights between ORY (Sud IIRC) and CVF on TAT, with just five minutes from the Altiport to the hotel . That was such a seamless, comfortable and civilized way to travel!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Nice. ^
Indeed. I will nevertheless stick to the train as it is much more convenient for me.

But there can be a lot of traffic between CMF and the Three Valleys (with probably a change of coach at Moûtiers ?).
Why would there be a change of coach? Unless I am mistaken, there will be a dedicated service so I assume it will be direct. Also, the flights are scheduled on Thursdays and Sundays, which are usually less busy than Saturdays on the alpine roads.

I remember flying close to 30 years ago on the scheduled flights between ORY (Sud IIRC) and CVF on TAT, with just five minutes from the Altiport to the hotel . That was such a seamless, comfortable and civilized way to travel!
With respect to you dear JOUY31, I am too young to have had the pleasure flying this route. Some of older relatives of mine did however. I think Air France also had regular flights during the winter.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bodory
Why would there be a change of coach? Unless I am mistaken, there will be a dedicated service so I assume it will be direct. Also, the flights are scheduled on Thursdays and Sundays, which are usually less busy than Saturdays on the alpine roads.
Well, I am not sure that the expected number of passengers connecting from the flights warrants a separate coach for each of the three valleys, so I may be wrong (hopefully ), but I would expect a change of coach at Moûtiers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.