Reload this Page >

The French skiing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bodory
The ski areas will be busiest during French school holidays - other times of year will be quieter (and cheaper). France is divided up into 3 zones for the purposes of school holidays. The vacation dates for the 3 zones are staggered over 4 weeks, with each zone getting two weeks off.

Zone A : Besançon, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon, Grenoble, Limoges, Lyon, Poitiers
Zone B : Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Caen, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Nantes, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Reims, Rennes, Rouen, Strasbourg
Zone C : Créteil, Montpellier, Paris, Toulouse, Versailles

2020:
Feb 8 - Feb 28: Zone C
Feb 15 - Mar 1: Zone B
Feb 22 - Mar 8: Zone A
Print Wikipost

The French skiing thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
I can confirm the change of coach. I forget where we were, but we def had about 20 minute "layover". That being said, if i were to do it all again i would do the train without thinking about it. The bus takes FOREVER. (We were going from CMF to La Plange)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
Transavia will open a bi-weekly ORY-CMF route this winter (Thursday and Sunday) and will also cooperate with the 3 Vallées to send a combined ticket include air+bus to final destination.

Source (in French) : http://www.air-journal.fr/2013-09-13...er-583952.html
Excellent news indeed ^

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Nice. ^

But there can be a lot of traffic between CMF and the Three Valleys (with probably a change of coach at Moûtiers ?). I remember flying close to 30 years ago on the scheduled flights between ORY (Sud IIRC) and CVF on TAT, with just five minutes from the Altiport to the hotel . That was such a seamless, comfortable and civilized way to travel!
That seemed like a Great way to travel to Courch' !

Indeed. I will nevertheless stick to the train as it is much more convenient for me.

Why would there be a change of coach? Unless I am mistaken, there will be a dedicated service so I assume it will be direct. Also, the flights are scheduled on Thursdays and Sundays, which are usually less busy than Saturdays on the alpine roads.

With respect to you dear JOUY31, I am too young to have had the pleasure flying this route. Some of older relatives of mine did however. I think Air France also had regular flights during the winter.
My last ORY CMF flight with AF was back in march 2002; so much more convenient than flying to LYS...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Good to see youback Mynameismud !
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
I can confirm the change of coach. I forget where we were, but we def had about 20 minute "layover". That being said, if i were to do it all again i would do the train without thinking about it. The bus takes FOREVER. (We were going from CMF to La Plange)
Thanks. My mistake then.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:33 pm

Good to see youback Mynameismud !
Merci bodory ^
I'm still monitoring this thread but of course more often during winter.
Thanks to your link in the AF forum, i was able to know there was some news in here.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Anyone going to Montagne en Scène (in Paris for instance) ?

http://www.montagne-en-scene.com/
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

Anyone going to Montagne en Scène (in Paris for instance) ?

http://www.montagne-en-scene.com/
Thanks for pointing this !
Looks tempting and also reminds me when i went au Grand Rex and saw "Pushing the limits" back in 1993 or 1994...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:39 am
Original Poster

The teaser really is tempting !
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:38 am
Original Poster

The snow is there : http://www.merinet.com/ski/snow/meri...-november-2013
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

I am stuck far from the Alps but it seems the snow conditions are quite good as of now.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Good news for those who want to use Google Maps to find where they are on the mountain.

http://www.orange.com/fr/presse/comm...te-touristique
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Just finished a trip to La Clusaz (first week of January). I am an intermediate skier, comfortable on blues and most reds, and will tackle the occasionally black if it isn't too mogul-ly.

Snow conditions weren't great. It was quite warm and there wasn't much snow. Luckily we got 7 cm on the night before we arrived, so the first couple days were okay, but by later in the week it wasn't great (icy and hardpacked in the morning, slushy in the afternoon (especially down low)).

Despite that, we found a few good runs. Off to the left in La Balme area was good with decent reds and blacks. The area around Manigod was also nice, with more blues and greens - however it was also very popular with the ski schools, so some salmoning amongst the learners . Either would have been especially better if there was more snow.

We got the full Massif Des Aravis ski passes, but skipped on the other resorts (Le Grand Bornand) as we were told that they were less challenging terrain, and wouldn't be good without new snow.

On piste, we ate a few different places:
  • On the main slope, Chalet les Praz is a good, sunny spot for drinks. We ate in the sit-down, table service restaurant (very swish) one day. €20-30 for mains. Very nice.
  • Main slope Chez Arthur also was good for drinks (didn't eat there).
  • Over at La Balme we ate at self-service La Bergerie (mid-station). Very good selection of food. Locally family run. The best "Vin Chaud" on the mountain (I am told). €10-20 for lunch options. Good home cooked food.

La Clusaz, the village is nice. Small and easy to walk around.

The resort seems to be a more local place than for out-of-towners. The weekdays were very quiet (except for Wednesday when it appeared to be the school sports day and the slopes had a lot of kids). The weekends were very busy.

Overall, I enjoyed the trip, but not sure I'd go back, instead looking for something with more terrain to check-out.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:37 am

Thank you for this excellent review of La Clusaz.
I like the village itself but the ski area is not challenging enough.

I am right now at Les 3 Vallées and the snow conditions are ok to good but it seriously lacks of many cm ! Luckily it snowed 40cm the day before I arrived in the station plus an extra 10cm the night before my first skiing day.
Yesterday morning was very cloudy with low visibility.
I'll post later a picture of CVF altiport , this is still an airline forum isn't it ?
Later in the morning and then for the rest of the day, sun was here but due to some wind clearing the sky.
Today, this is really windy with a mix of sun and clouds. Temperatures aren't the typical January you usually get...
It seems Winter will only arrive in a couple of days.
Happy and safe skiing to all
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

I was in Méribel and the 3 Valleys this week-end : the slopes have never been so empty.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:07 am
Original Poster

I was in Courchevel this past Saturday (the resort was exceptionally open that day) : great snow conditions above 2000 meters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.