Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The FlyerTalk Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.
Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved FlyerTalk charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the FlyerTalk Cares page.

"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it was 607 FlyerTalk lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans! And now as of 30 June 2019 it is 941 members who have lent $6,415,775 in 71,722 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Flyertalk Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I just made a loan to Muhamed to repair his taxi.

It's a very lengthy repayment term, but he only needs another $275 to fully fund it.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:54 am

Thanks for the thread; I just joined the lending team.

Fairly longtime member of Kiva - my stats are slightly different than FT team - 57% for males than 43% females.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 am

I agree with your reasoning, and found the loan you cited to be fully funded.
(Hurrah!)

I loaned to another Al-Amal Microfinance Bank loan. They are still only 37% funded:

http://www.kiva.org/lend/438821

"Raja is 43 years old and is the president of the group. She sells clothes, perfumes and other items. She says that she began with a small business and, thanks to sacrifice and daily hard work, has been able to grow and continually improve her business. "

Originally Posted by JDiver
A team that is fundraising currently is the Sarah Group in Taiz, Yemen. Sarah Group consists of five members: Walia, Fenon, Amriah, Fuadh, and Amirh. They took a loan of 240,000 YER ($1,125) from AMB.

"Walia is a hardworking 31-year-old mother directorate. She has three children. She lives in Taiz, Yemen. She is the woman standing in the middle in the photo. She has been selling clothing. She has applied for this loan of 40,000 YER in order to buy more of fabric and baby clothes so she can start doing advanced work. She hopes to open her own clothing store to increase her capital."

This is a risky loan - as they used to say in the Peace Corps, high risk, high return. Yemen is an unstable place at the moment, governmentally and in terms of the radical Islamic Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (Arabic: القاعدة في جزيرة العرب‎, Al-Qaida fi Jazirat al-'Arab) (AQAP). OTOH, I believe this is exactly the best "weapon" at our disposal to let the people of Yemen know there is a better way.

I do make the occasional one I assess to have more risk with possibility of high return. I have lost some money - I have had four in over 500 loans default - mostly due to the lending microfinance organization's instability. In this instance, I would be out $100. Wanna join me in a risky loan?

As it says on the page for this Kiva loan:
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 am

Repayments should be starting to trickle in now for the month.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Repayments should be starting to trickle in now for the month.
I'm at around 82% on repayments and expect to get close to 100% by mid-week.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Many of mine routinely hit on the 19th of each month, so I'm figuring that either Friday or Monday, I'll probably have enough for another loan.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Originally Posted by kipper
Many of mine routinely hit on the 19th of each month, so I'm figuring that either Friday or Monday, I'll probably have enough for another loan.
I'm at about 93% of expected repayments and have already been having fun finding new loans the last few days.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
I'm at about 93% of expected repayments and have already been having fun finding new loans the last few days.
I'm at about 50% right now, although I did have another repayment arrive today. That one is on track to be paid back early.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Do you think that all repayments for July are in? I was expecting a fair amount more than I have right now and was planning to withdraw funds this month rather than relend, wondered if anyone else was waiting on more payments?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I doubt they are all in yet -keep checking.

In the meantime, exciting news - the Flyertalk lending team has exceeded a quarter of a million dollars in loans!

Code:
Statistic Name	          Total Impact
Number of Team Members		 304
Number of Loans		         7,215
Number of Loans per Member	 23.7
Total Amount Loaned		$252,875
The average Kiva lender makes 8.4 loans; the average Flyertalker on Kiva makes 23.7 loans, and that makes us top elite members of Kiva, IMO.

Mind you, I know of one FTer who anchors this corner down for us (it's not I), and that surely helps.

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Do you think that all repayments for July are in? I was expecting a fair amount more than I have right now and was planning to withdraw funds this month rather than relend, wondered if anyone else was waiting on more payments?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:20 pm

Mine usually don't all arrive until the 19th or 20th, and I'm still missing some as of this afternoon.
Originally Posted by JDiver
I doubt they are all in yet -keep checking.

In the meantime, exciting news - the Flyertalk lending team has exceeded a quarter of a million dollars in loans!

Code:
Statistic Name	          Total Impact
Number of Team Members		 304
Number of Loans		         7,215
Number of Loans per Member	 23.7
Total Amount Loaned		$252,875
The average Kiva lender makes 8.4 loans; the average Flyertalker on Kiva makes 23.7 loans, and that makes us top elite members of Kiva, IMO.

Mind you, I know of one FTer who anchors this corner down for us (it's not I), and that surely helps.
Yay!!! It would definitely not be me, but thank you to the one who does anchor this corner for us!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
It really depends on the MFIs you loan through. For me, the bulk (80%+) of my repayments hit on the 15th of the month prior; however, by the first of the month, I'm usually around 95%-105% of my estimated repayments.

-----------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, I've officially gotten my first "your loan has defaulted" email today. Oh well - it didn't happen during my first year on Kiva, but it finally happened my second year. Overall, it's still a small amount relative to my total amount loaned. All in all, it still doesn't discourage me; it's a risk we consciously bear when we decide to give a hand-up to entrepreneurs who live in under-served banking environments. ^

So awesome to see that we're past the quarter million mark! w00t w00t! Congrats to EVERYONE on the team! We each make a difference - one loan at a time. ^

Now to see how long it takes before we hit $300K!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by JY1024

So awesome to see that we're past the quarter million mark! w00t w00t! Congrats to EVERYONE on the team! We each make a difference - one loan at a time. ^

Now to see how long it takes before we hit $300K!
I finally made it above the Kiva average..but still a ways to go to get to the FT average. A little each month! Amazing how so little can go so far...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by phranticaw
I finally made it above the Kiva average..but still a ways to go to get to the FT average. A little each month! Amazing how so little can go so far...
Congrats on reaching the Kiva average. Keep at it and it will not be too long before you reach the FT average.

Averages are just that. Our individual goals should be to do what we can do to fight poverty and make the world a little bit better. If you are doing that, you should take great pride in what you have done.

As my investment grew, I pledged to myself to reinvest all repayments and make four new loans a month. before long, repayments started funding a loan or two and my loans made exploded. keep at it and it will happen to you.

My new goal is to not get caught by my wife. I am afraid she will have me in a 12 step program for Kiva addicts if she catches me.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:43 pm

I completely forgot that I joined this team when I joined Kiva. I don't have much there yet but saw I received enough repayments to make a new loan. Hard to choose!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.