Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
BOM switched to A359 from 31OCT22

DEL switched to A359 from 29OCT22
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:04 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
I've heard nothing on my mid to late November LAX-ARN flights.
Further to this, I got a late night reply from AY, seems they are working hard to manage all recently announced cancellations..they also confirmed that the official cancellations are done in waves so that not everyone are calling/messaging at the same time. The policy, as confirmed by others is:

-as long as MMB shows the old flight, CS won’t/cannot do anything even if the ”generic” cancellation of a route is public info
-when it disappears from MMB you can ask/get a refund, no need to wait for rerouting
-after you have a proposed rerouting in MMB can pax start to negotiate for options
work2fly, ffay005 and Jyrsa like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:17 am

Not sure if already posted but AY001/2 seems to be cancelled at least on some Fridays/Saturdays for winter schedules, not sure if other days as well, just got a notification for my early Nov 002.

Lots of cancellations and changes allaround now for AY, LH operations in shambles..
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Not sure if already posted but AY001/2 seems to be cancelled at least on some Fridays/Saturdays for winter schedules, not sure if other days as well, just got a notification for my early Nov 002..
Change of operational days. LAX is 3/week.
NoWindowSeat and FFlash like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Change of operational days. LAX is 3/week.
Polite way to describe cancellations 😎
FFlash likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by Jyrsa
Did you catch what the logic behind this might have been? Or was your cancellation less than 14 days before the flight in which case I suppose eu261 would apply.
TBH I have no idea what kind of refund it might be, especially since direct HEL-BKK flights are more expensive than the flights via ARN. I thought it was a refund for the cancelled segment but not sure if that's how it works.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:55 am

Got a flight notification last night.
AY73 to NRT in MAR23 seems to be cancelled, moved to AY61 HND.
Well I'm back to HND for now, that was the original destination I booked 2 years ago.
FFlash likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:17 am

Helsinki-Krabi flight cancelled. I asked to re-route , but they do not do it!
I asked to re-route to Bangkok. But can not!

What to do? Do we really need to buy new ticket if want to travel?
esledo and FFlash like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL

What to do? Do we really need to buy new ticket if want to travel?
This is getting totally out of control for AY now..🤬
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

What to do?
AY is playing hard. And naive me thought that somebody at AY would have thought about the thousands of pax they will leave stranded and negotiated a rerouting agreement with QR for these flights...

EC261 is very clear on this. There is no "exceptional circumstance" clause, and it doesn't matter whether tickets were bought using money or points, and there is no 14-day rule either. You will, by EC261, have three choices when your flight is cancelled. And you are the one who makes that choice, not AY. In my opinion, you have been extremely kind in suggesting BKK as an alternative and I find it quite unacceptable that they didn't grant you that. However, EC261 says you may:
1) get a full refund
2) get a reroute to Krabi as close to the original schedule as possible
3) get a reroute to Krabi any time you wish, after the original flights

It's your choice!

This will affect thousands of Finns. I am sure the press will become interested if AY doesn't follow the law here. The press can then contact AY for a statement and the consumer ombudsman, who might very well open up a discussion with AY.

I feel for AY, they're in survival mode. And QR is probably their best bet right now. But it does not mean that they are free from obligations towards the pax that they will leave stranded.

Do we really need to buy new ticket if want to travel?
One option, if you are ready to take the risk, is to actually do this. Buy a comparable ticket to Krabi, with the same dates as your original ticket or dates as close to the same ones as possible, and after your journey, ask AY to pay for it. After their refusal, go to KRIL and after their recommendation, be ready to fight in court.

Many years ago, I had a simple HEL-ARN case with FlyMe. They cancelled the route, refused to reroute and I bought a new ticket with Blue1. KRIL recommended that FlyMe pay for that Blue1 ticket, and they did, in the end (or they refunded their own ticket and paid the difference, as Blue1 was more expensive).

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
This is getting totally out of control for AY now..🤬
Krabi is a fanny-pack destination and fannypackers is what IL and IS love. A couple of articles about AY leaving pax without their dream holiday, and a few references to EC261, and they will budge. Or else it might be the first aviation related class action lawsuit in Finland.

I can't see any QR flights to KBV. Apparently the only 1-stop option is AY to BKK and a connecting flight from there. Checked December dates.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 31, 2022 at 4:19 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Krabi is a fanny-pack destination.
It is indeed, I have quite a complex early 23 ”himmeli” of various tickets/moved half awards/upgrades and whatnot involving HKT/KBV/ARN for the family for the winter and all of them went into shambles during the last few days..

What I ended up doing was booking new U/X awards to/from BKK on flights that according to latest info will stay..avoiding the leisure routes completely and just take full refunds on everything that gets officially cancelled later. Managed to move expired vouchers from paid Y tickets to fresh X awards as well for the family..quite happy with the outcome for the family ”himmeli” - tried to avoid the hords when all the official cancellations kick in and all availability is axed.

Next up, late 22 trips to LAX, BKK and SIN(via BKK) that are also all messed up (ARN involved..) 🙈🤣
ffay005 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
We should start charging AY for the hours we spend figuring out reroute options, amending bookings and talking to CS
NoWindowSeat, sueco6 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
My HEL-TLL / TLL-HEL-BUD / BUD-HEL-BKK ticket combo for 01DEC that I bought with the triple point promo for my new tracking period (starting 01DEC) has now gone down the drain, as my HEL-BKK flight has been cancelled for that day. AY suggested me to take the BUD-HEL-BKK flights on 30NOV, which obviously doesn't work, as I'm not yet in BUD to take the flight back and those points would go to my current tracking period, not for the new one. Let's see how I can salvage this...
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
My HEL-TLL / TLL-HEL-BUD / BUD-HEL-BKK ticket combo for 01DEC that I bought with the triple point promo for my new tracking period (starting 01DEC) has now gone down the drain, as my HEL-BKK flight has been cancelled for that day. AY suggested me to take the BUD-HEL-BKK flights on 30NOV, which obviously doesn't work, as I'm not yet in BUD to take the flight back and those points would go to my current tracking period, not for the new one. Let's see how I can salvage this...
Can't you get the flight moved to AY145 HEL-BKK on Dec 1st? I don't see it on sale now, but at least that's what I've got.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Clarity_
Can't you get the flight moved to AY145 HEL-BKK on Dec 1st? I don't see it on sale now, but at least that's what I've got.
As of the winter schedule there is only single daily between HEL-BUD and my BUD-HEL flight is not yet in HEL, when AY145 takes off, so does not work. At the end, managed to keep my AY1256 on 01DEC, while I've ended up with AY141 on 02DEC. "Of course", with this I've also lost my confirmed upgrade, which I'm really angry about, but my issue on that did not seem to cause sleepless nights for CS...
Clarity_ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.