FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:23 am
ffay005

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
Helsinki-Krabi flight cancelled. I asked to re-route , but they do not do it!
I asked to re-route to Bangkok. But can not!

What to do?
AY is playing hard. And naive me thought that somebody at AY would have thought about the thousands of pax they will leave stranded and negotiated a rerouting agreement with QR for these flights...

EC261 is very clear on this. There is no "exceptional circumstance" clause, and it doesn't matter whether tickets were bought using money or points, and there is no 14-day rule either. You will, by EC261, have three choices when your flight is cancelled. And you are the one who makes that choice, not AY. In my opinion, you have been extremely kind in suggesting BKK as an alternative and I find it quite unacceptable that they didn't grant you that. However, EC261 says you may:
1) get a full refund
2) get a reroute to Krabi as close to the original schedule as possible
3) get a reroute to Krabi any time you wish, after the original flights

It's your choice!

This will affect thousands of Finns. I am sure the press will become interested if AY doesn't follow the law here. The press can then contact AY for a statement and the consumer ombudsman, who might very well open up a discussion with AY.

I feel for AY, they're in survival mode. And QR is probably their best bet right now. But it does not mean that they are free from obligations towards the pax that they will leave stranded.

Originally Posted by Timppa_HEL
Do we really need to buy new ticket if want to travel?
One option, if you are ready to take the risk, is to actually do this. Buy a comparable ticket to Krabi, with the same dates as your original ticket or dates as close to the same ones as possible, and after your journey, ask AY to pay for it. After their refusal, go to KRIL and after their recommendation, be ready to fight in court.

Many years ago, I had a simple HEL-ARN case with FlyMe. They cancelled the route, refused to reroute and I bought a new ticket with Blue1. KRIL recommended that FlyMe pay for that Blue1 ticket, and they did, in the end (or they refunded their own ticket and paid the difference, as Blue1 was more expensive).

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
This is getting totally out of control for AY now..🤬
Krabi is a fanny-pack destination and fannypackers is what IL and IS love. A couple of articles about AY leaving pax without their dream holiday, and a few references to EC261, and they will budge. Or else it might be the first aviation related class action lawsuit in Finland.

I can't see any QR flights to KBV. Apparently the only 1-stop option is AY to BKK and a connecting flight from there. Checked December dates.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 31, 2022 at 4:19 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member