Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by GOTBound
Reaching out to the Brain trust here, is it worth calling the Platinum line to enquire about a possible rerouting or is it just a waste of time spent in the telephone que just to get a given no?
Most likely, they would only rebook you on HEL-MIA-HEL on AY, so you would need to find nearby dates with AY flights from ARN via HEL to MIA and back.
GOTBound likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ffay005
Most likely, they would only rebook you on HEL-MIA-HEL on AY, so you would need to find nearby dates with AY flights from ARN via HEL to MIA and back.
Thanks, so I figured. Unfortunate the dates are limited by the November-school holiday for this particular trip, hence the rebooking possibilities is very limited to this as well.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:24 am

Here are my 2 cents: I had booked award tickets for 2 in J for return trip HEL-ARN-LAX for early/mid November. Got the notice email on Wed, then got offered alternative routing the same evening. This was HEL-DFW-LAX & LAX-HEL for the same dates so I was happy to take those. DFW-LAX is on AA metal.

I confirmed the rerouting, but seat selection or luggage allowanced info would not load. I figure that this was due to some general mayhem in AY IT due to cancellations so I decided to wait for a while. Those still would not work on Friday so I decided to manually order the e-tickets to check what they had. And surprise surprise e-ticket still said HEL-ARN-LAX, while website and app said HEL-LAX. So it was time to give Finnair a call.

The agent confirmed that I had accepted the change but that the ticket had not in fact been exchanged, something about awards not clearing properly. He said that he needs to check with his supervisor and asked if it was ok to put me on a hold for a few minutes. That turned out to be 30 minutes, after which he came back and asked me to confirmed that I now had the correct e-ticket in my email, which was indeed the case. All in all, I got off easy compared to others here.

TLDR; Might be worth manually checking your e-ticket after you have accepted re-routing. Especially for awards.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
Well if Finnair cancelled a flight for which you have a confirmed upgraded, they should move over the upgrade to the changed flight if it is AY operated if there is availability in J (regardless of award space being available)

https://www.finnair.com/en/info/trav...and-conditions
All things considered, I would find this solution acceptable. They've given in and cancelled segments you don't need anymore, even on a separate, (theoretically) unrelated ticket.
I'm going to push again to get the upgrade confirmed. We had confirmed upgrades at the time of purchase (March 2022) for a Monday flight ARN-LAX. There was a schedule change in April that moved the flight to Tuesday, which we accepted, and the upgrade remained confirmed. The proposed change for the ARN cancellation was for a Wednesday HEL-LAX flight with a confirmed upgrade, but we couldn't make that work due to children's school schedules. We're now on a Sunday flight HEL-LAX, which is just one day prior to our original flight. There are four of us, so I really don't want to leave these upgrades to chance. I see 9 in all the J class fare buckets except for I, which has 5. There seems to be plenty of space.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by work2fly
I'm going to push again to get the upgrade confirmed. We had confirmed upgrades at the time of purchase (March 2022) for a Monday flight ARN-LAX. There was a schedule change in April that moved the flight to Tuesday, which we accepted, and the upgrade remained confirmed. The proposed change for the ARN cancellation was for a Wednesday HEL-LAX flight with a confirmed upgrade, but we couldn't make that work due to children's school schedules. We're now on a Sunday flight HEL-LAX, which is just one day prior to our original flight. There are four of us, so I really don't want to leave these upgrades to chance. I see 9 in all the J class fare buckets except for I, which has 5. There seems to be plenty of space.
At least it sounds like you have some chance for your upgrades to clear. My HEL-BKK is J2, everything else is 0 and almost 30 minutes discussion with customer service did not make any change. They did not care, that prior to the cancellation, I had a confirmed upgrade.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
AY145 HEL-BKK seems completely zerod out but is still in the timetable

AY141 HEL-BKK seems to be replacing the flight, leaving 13.55 in HEL an arriving 06.35 in BKK
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:58 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
AY145 HEL-BKK seems completely zerod out but is still in the timetable

AY141 HEL-BKK seems to be replacing the flight, leaving 13.55 in HEL an arriving 06.35 in BKK
No, AY145/146 is the new one introduced earlier this week. I think its zeroed to public now so that they can arrange all reroutings behind the scenes.

Some of us here on FT also made bookings on that service while it was open to book for 8-9 hours or so with wide open availability in all classes, including U..
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:15 pm

Doesn't it seem sort of stupid to cancel ARN-BKK and introduce new HEL-BKK flights to accommodate the ARN pax? Why not fly 145/146 from ARN?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:23 pm

Doesn't it seem sort of stupid to cancel ARN-BKK and introduce new HEL-BKK flights to accommodate the ARN pax? Why not fly 145/146 from ARN?
It does but they also axed capacity from HEL to BKK/KBV/HKT so they need to do lots of reroutes and not only from ARN..they seem to know already that they will not have seats for all, not even close to all so many no alternatives available messages sent out even in easy cases..they hope many will just leave it at that and take a refund..

And they clearly wanted to kill the ARN thing for goodDOH flights/crews will be based there so ARN is again just another turnaround place for AY..essentially theyll fly DOH-ARN/CPH/HEL-DOH when they get them going..

Edit: another thought..those days that AY had ARN-BKK/HKT flights..lets assume for the fun of it that they had sold 50-100-150 tickets per flight when they cancelled them..even if they had room via HEL it would suddenly eat a lot of capacity from HELARN route, which is already heavily booked with less frequencies than it used to have.. many issues coming out of this ARN disaster..wonder if any heads are going to roll..it must cost AY a lot..and as wisely pointed out by others, they cannot blame the war for it all, they still pushed ARN heavily way after that..
ffay005, florens and sueco6 like this.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Sep 2, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
"the ARN disaster" most likely comes from a change of mind at the very top.
ie "new strategy" developed around the QR-deal.
Even if the original idea would have come from lower ranks in route planning (or anyplace, your guess), it has had full support from entire AY. Remember the status matches, challenge et,c

It is not starting with ARN that is the disaster, it is the rapid and complete withdrawal!
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
No, AY145/146 is the new one introduced earlier this week. I think its zeroed to public now so that they can arrange all reroutings behind the scenes.

Some of us here on FT also made bookings on that service while it was open to book for 8-9 hours or so with wide open availability in all classes, including U..
That is so confusing because AY145 used to be ARN-BKK
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:08 pm

Nice insight from guide for travel agents

Finnair will automatically book a new flight/flights to the reservation and update the ticket.

If the customer does not accept the change, you can
  • rebook to a later date, rebook to another date, preferably -2/+7 days from the original flight date but if requested by customer, -7/+14 days is acceptable (rebook to same destination only, rebook to original booking class or lowest available in same cabin, no rerouting to other carriers allowed).

NoWindowSeat, ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:57 pm

Nice, or "nice". Those guidelines are blatantly against EC261.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:01 pm

Nice, or "nice". Those guidelines are blatantly against EC261.
Tells us how little AY cares or respects the law, its all about max profit at the expense of their customers. Appalling, really. I hope someone with confirmed source on this will share it with the press, will make for a hot headline
ffay005, vulle and JackieTrent like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 7:24 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Anyone have experience of AY paying for hotels on an "enforced" overnighter at HEL?

My friend's flights got screwed in a storm of AY rescheduling their flights & the only acceptable option to her means she has to overnight in HEL...anyone here have any experiences with this?

There was mention by the agent of them potentially paying but when pushed the agent said "book it yourself & claim back"...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.