Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I too can now see discounted prices without jumping through hoops.

Funny error though. I wonder what function is actually underneath that is susceptible to show/hide promotional prices in awards. I'm starting to think they have built a dynamic pricing function for awards, upgrades and such.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by intuition
I too can now see discounted prices without jumping through hoops.

Funny error though. I wonder what function is actually underneath that is susceptible to show/hide promotional prices in awards. I'm starting to think they have built a dynamic pricing function for awards, upgrades and such.
Dynamic function - doesn't sound much like Finnair IT. CS told me it was a technical glitch on the first day. I booked an award flight for the regular amount of points on day 1 of the promotion, sent an email to CS and they refunded the points I paid too much.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
Dynamic function - doesn't sound much like Finnair IT. CS told me it was a technical glitch on the first day....
Yeah, I agree they usually don't do fancy implementations.
But my thinking was along these lines - a glitch rarely affects random customers in a repeatable way. A random error would randomly come and go for all customer. This wasn't the case, we had a fixed subset of customers having a non-transient issue (full prices were shown 100% of the time). So if not random then there is something in common with this group making them susceptible for the glitch.

Of course it can be many things besides an individualised pricing mechanism. But it certainly has to do with customer record for certain customers. You could log in with member A and not see the prices. If you log out and log in member B, on the same computer, same browser, same IP, same ..., and immediately have discounted prices. The only factor that changed was which member was logged in and the test could be repeated numerous times with the exact same result.

So award prices in the booking engine has a dependecy on logged in member. N.b. it is not the depency of "having a member logged in before showing award prices", it is the dependency of "having a specific member logged in before showing award prices". What the reason is to have such a dependency we can only speculate. Perhaps just an enormous bug.
But I still struggle with why anyone would unintentionally code something as a function of what member is logged in, unless you in some part of the code actually are going to make decisions based on it.

So that was where my idea/suspicion arose from.

... I booked an award flight for the regular amount of points on day 1 of the promotion, sent an email to CS and they refunded the points I paid too much.
That is awesome and first time I've heard of such a generous move by AY CS.
I remember someone here booking something last promo where discount was not applied and CS refused to touch it referring to rules "discount only applies for DIY bookings".
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:38 am

So award prices in the booking engine has a dependecy on logged in member. N.b. it is not the depency of "having a member logged in before showing award prices", it is the dependency of "having a specific member logged in before showing award prices". What the reason is to have such a dependency we can only speculate. Perhaps just an enormous bug.
But I still struggle with why anyone would unintentionally code something as a function of what member is logged in, unless you in some part of the code actually are going to make decisions based on it.
Assigning special offers or availabilities to certain members excluding others would indeed be bad. Not sure, that would even be legal.
Maybe the offer wasn't shown in all markets? Is it possible that one user had a Finnish address, the other a Swedish?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:50 am

That is awesome and first time I've heard of such a generous move by AY CS.
I remember someone here booking something last promo where discount was not applied and CS refused to touch it referring to rules "discount only applies for DIY bookings".
Had a couple of issues the last 2 years which were all perfectly solved by AY CS. This is what will keep me flying Finnair. Much more important than if it's a salad at midnight JFK-HEL after Finnair paid your Flagship lounge visit or a 3 course meal, especially when median load is 5 pax in J every single day.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:53 am

-deleted double posting-

Last edited by FlyeBye; Oct 29, 2021 at 6:53 am Reason: double posting
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Assigning special offers or availabilities to certain members excluding others would indeed be bad. Not sure, that would even be legal.
Maybe the offer wasn't shown in all markets? Is it possible that one user had a Finnish address, the other a Swedish?
In my tests, 3 members had same country on file, Sweden. 2 saw discount, 1 didn't. Above in the thread there are FIN based members, some saw discount, others did not.
Using VPN to Finland (ie having any IP-based geolocation tool seeing session as made from Finland) made no impact on test result.

I am sure the effect we saw was not the intended. But it is a very fishy error IMHO
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:10 am
Moderator, Finnair

ARN-JFK in J now has 241 on certain dates. Around 20kSEK for two pax.
I wonder if you can check in Erika on the second seat and earn double points? Fare campaign classic. Routing on cartel partners is possible for slightly more monies.

Prices shown when searching for 2 pax
Example:

Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: AY LUMO
ARN-JFK in J now has 241 on certain dates. Around 20kSEK for two pax.
I wonder if you can check in Erika on the second seat and earn double points? Fare campaign classic. Routing on cartel partners is possible for slightly more monies.

Prices shown when searching for 2 pax
Example:
This is höhöhöpö-business with poor 150% points?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
For 1k€/pax retour I don't care (had I plans to go to NYC)
cistavoda likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:20 am

Hm. So ARN-JFK-ARN is 10000 kr in höpöhöpö-business while ARN-OUL-ARN is 2500 kr in ecoflex. Sounds fair. The OUL route gives 25% of the points and you pay 25% as much for the flights. Of course, Toripolliisi is a better tourist attraction than the Statue of Liberty.
florens, FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

... Fare campaign classic.
I don't know, but why not 200% earnings? 'Classic' earns 200% but 'Campaign classic' is not listed in the earning chart.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Hm. So ARN-JFK-ARN is 10000 kr in höpöhöpö-business while ARN-OUL-ARN is 2500 kr in ecoflex. Sounds fair. The OUL route gives 25% of the points and you pay 25% as much for the flights. Of course, Toripolliisi is a better tourist attraction than the Statue of Liberty.
Tulitorni show at Kuluma is more interesting tourist attraction in Oulu. And Barlumo!
FFlash likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:50 am

If JFK and OUL are somehow connected, let it be so.

I was only talking about poor AY miles and AY inflation -business class. Not everyone here counts miles and that’s what AY hopes for.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:52 am

I don't know, but why not 200% earnings? 'Classic' earns 200% but 'Campaign classic' is not listed in the earning chart.
If that offer is Classic and 200% then it's a little bit realistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.