Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: AY+ Silver
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Never said this test requirement is because passengers health, it's because of THL and part of creating AY's positive image.
Originally Posted by r2d2
And because AY is right now living on government money and they know that disobeying recommendations would create too much badwill from the government. For the government, requiring a test certificate is an acceptable and also quite efficient way of limiting international air travel, which is one of the cornerstones in the current Finnish COVID strategy (which seems to follow Tomas Pueyo's Swiss Cheese Strategy).
Couldn't agree more! Also, there has been a lot of discussions on this thread about the negative test certificate requirements but there is also another type of accepted certificate:
  • The certificate stating that you have been ill with the coronavirus within the last 6 months, but already recovered from it, must contain your name (as in your travel document), date of birth, date of issuance of the certificate and the party issuing the certificate (person and company).
I suppose Finnish doctors won't be the ones giving such certificate with the exchange of a bill note or bottle of whiskey but not the same can be said abroad. Furthermore, how can Finnair (e.g the gate agents) honestly check that the certificate is legit? (Note: I don't endorse the use of fake certificate nor blablabla... )

Quid of the tests on arrival? With this new requirement it seems unnecessary to have the whole infrastructure (and I thought it was also a good reason for putting such regulation so the money is spent by the travellers and not by the city of Vantaa).
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by YClass
FYI re: Covid testing at airport.

Landside (Arrivals) Aava clinic is only open for rapid Antigen tests at the time of the Amsterdam flight. Not available otherwise.
Airside (post-Security) Aava clinic only has PCR tests with <2hr turnaround with certificate. Still super rapid for PCR, but its not 15 min antigen.
You will not be able to check-in bags or board (if hand luggage only) unless you have negative Covid test. If you have >2.5 hrs to flight you can negotiate to get airside to get the Aava PCR test. Bags held in standby until confirmed.
Be prepared that there is confusion between UK requirements for PCR vs Antigen (UK accepts both, agents often think only PCR).
Hi, thanks for sharing this information, really helpful! I was just checking the info about Aava Medical Centre airport testing and it says they provide PCR results within 24h. Would they agree to the 2.5h results confirmation for a flight departing the same day? Also, any idea what the price is? (Not listed in their price list). Thanks!

To answer my own question, I just heard back from Aava: yes, it would be possible to get results within 2 hours. Total price is 300€ (including referral, test and certificate).

Last edited by Mister P.; Jan 27, 2021 at 3:52 am Reason: Update info
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Be sure to choose LH or QR for your travels, everyone."Yle tiedusteli Suomeen edelleen matkustajia kuljettavilta Lufthansalta, KLM:lt ja Qatar Airwaysilta, vaativatko ne lhtkentll todistuksen taudista tervehtymisest tai negatiivisest koronatestist.

Kaikki kolme vastasivat keskiviikkona, ett ne noudattavat Suomen terveysviranomaisten mryksi. Terveysviranomainen ei vaadi mainittuja todistuksia."

(KL is out of the question as AMS requires two different tests at the moment.)
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Actually I personally think the biggest issue is that we don't yet have any vaccine, that would've been given an actual permit by EMA for the EU.
It's a problem that will sort itself out naturally given time. The process is working as it's supposed to work. It would be a much worse cause for concern if a vaccine had been fully approved without following the due process. And it would also be concerning if we had no temporary emergency approval as we'd basically be stuck with the pandemic for years.

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I personally really don't want to be a human guinea pig.
Not many people want to be guinea pigs. But the question mostly only makes sense for those who get to be vaccinated now, meaning elderly, sick and health care people. Would I take the vaccine if I were old enough? I don't know, but I guess I would, in spite of the small risk.

I'm not going to argue about what's the biggest and/or most urgent issue. My point is just that the vaccination certificates are a big can of worms that has now been opened and will not be closed any time soon.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
As speculated before it looks like Germany is closing the borders to certain countries, at the moment the UK, Portugal, Brasil and South Africa are on the list, Denmark and the Netherlands can be next. All countries where B 1.1.7. are active could be on the list soon.

Also rumors around that Norway want to close its borders to all travelers - I can t see how I can keep my status in 2021.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
Be sure to choose LH or QR for your travels, everyone."Yle tiedusteli Suomeen edelleen matkustajia kuljettavilta Lufthansalta, KLM:lt ja Qatar Airwaysilta, vaativatko ne lhtkentll todistuksen taudista tervehtymisest tai negatiivisest koronatestist.

Kaikki kolme vastasivat keskiviikkona, ett ne noudattavat Suomen terveysviranomaisten mryksi. Terveysviranomainen ei vaadi mainittuja todistuksia."

(KL is out of the question as AMS requires two different tests at the moment.)
I want/need to go to BUD in Feb/March and was really about to give up due to the test requirement to come back, but a HEL-DOH-BUD bounce doesn't sound too bad, especially if I can get award space in C How's Qatar - possible to enter? I wouldn't mind some sunshine...

Or maybe HEL-IST-BUD...
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Extra Mile
Does anyone know, what happened tickets booked before 01APR20, before they were allowed to freely change (without price difference) before 30NOV20. How about now? I have one reservation to Europe, but i dont know what to do with this reservation.
Tried to search for information on the AY website, but without results.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 3:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
... How's Qatar - possible to enter? I wouldn't mind some sunshine...
Should be fairly simple to find out, if you use the booking engine of an airline that realised this is one of the major question every traveller has before booking...

(this is a thing I suggested Finnair implemented back in the days when I still thought I would fly again. QR did do it, and I think the info is relatively well maintained, not only for Qatar but for all their destinations)
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 28, 2021 at 3:32 am
Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Sounds like QR is implementing the recommendation as a requirement. The text is from the QR website, regarding entry into Finland.

Test Certificate Requirements
  • Test certificates issued outside of Finland are accepted.
  • Effective 28 January, all travellers will be required to present a COVID-19 PCR and Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) test taken maximum 72 hours before departure and for antigen test maximum 48 hours before departure.
  • Test certificates may exempt travellers from quarantine and testing measures on arrival.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I just got back from the clinic here in Las Palmas and now have a crisp antigen test result in my hand. The lady at the clinic reception, of course, spoke Finnish. The test & certificate cost 25 EUR. A PCR test would have been 135 EUR.
Ed Size, Teppo and zxcv1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 5:08 am
Original Poster

From AGP, no mobile BP available. Consequently, long queues at checkin. Covid certificate was checked and accepted. BP states CDOK.

Didnt see anyone turned back. I received two SMSs in advance of the flight about the new requirement.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
From AGP, no mobile BP available. Consequently, long queues at checkin. Covid certificate was checked and accepted. BP states CDOK.

Didnt see anyone turned back. I received two SMSs in advance of the flight about the new requirement.
Same from ZRH. no mobile BP. Luckily no queue at the checkin counter. They checked the certificate and asked the reason for travel.
Plane was surprisingly fullish. I think 50-60% load. Interestingly, they offered priority boarding, although I had boarding group 3 on my bp.
In Hel, they didn't test me although I had only an Antigen test and no PCR. Borderguard was grumpy, it seemed I disturbed him while he was on the phone... and when arriving in the luggage hall, bags were already there.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Of course they didnt test you. The whole point is to save money and have pax tested abroad instead of at HEL.

Did they ask to see your certificate at HEL? Theres no chance in HELl I will show them mine After all, why would I?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Also in OUL, no mobile BP. Had to go to the Desk. Darn. I had to come earlier just for that. Desk agent had no Clue why mobile BP not working.
Just domestic trip, very stupid new rule if it is new normal.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
Also in OUL, no mobile BP. Had to go to the Desk. Darn. I had to come earlier just for that. Desk agent had no Clue why mobile BP not working.
Just domestic trip, very stupid new rule if it is new normal.
I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented India-style with four stamps on the bp given how things are going on right now

In all honesty, if the goal is to minimize contact points then forcing you to visit the desk is ironic.
esledo and on22cz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.