Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by on22cz
If they were thinking about additional extension, then instead of giving additional (6) months, AY could consider copying Accor model and top up all accounts with 50% tier re-qualification criteria.
As a status holder in both programs, I feel that Finnair's approach is actually better. If I can't travel for 6 months, then I'd rather have 6+12 months with status to accrue 100% of normal goal, than than 6+6 months to accrue 50% of normal goal. Finnair's approach is more flexible to the customer, and it is more flexible to adjust if the crisis lasts significantly longer than 6 months (which it most likely will, unfortunately).

I think Accor did what they did because they have a fixed civil year accrual period that they don't want to change.

Of course, as long as the crisis does not last exactly a year (or several ), then there will be seasonal skew in the accrual period. But Finnair's approach is less skewed, in that it is only skewed if you were in the middle of your accrual period in March. Accor's approach is skewed for everyone.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:53 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
to be honest I think if they leave things to september they may just be too late to the party as many people evaluate their options and choices now

many programs are now saying 12 months as is and some are adding bonuses so its easy to make decisions and plans based on FIRM offers not maybes or perhaps... just a thought

SAS is playing it way differently but they allways do 😁
I don’t see any reason for AY to rush here, the 6 month extension is perfecty sufficient to cover things for now. This is all still at very early stages and there’s no sign of bookings/travel starting anytime soon. If they now lose few customers they most likely would lose them no matter what they did..AY has basically told us that they will take care of the status/requalifying issues for tier members and review as necessary so I don’t see why this policy in particular would drive customers away?

The new ticket types/earnings are another thing, possibly, but they have nothing to do with the general membership year extension.
TTL and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:36 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I don’t see any reason for AY to rush here, the 6 month extension is perfecty sufficient to cover things for now. This is all still at very early stages and there’s no sign of bookings/travel starting anytime soon. If they now lose few customers they most likely would lose them no matter what they did..AY has basically told us that they will take care of the status/requalifying issues for tier members and review as necessary so I don’t see why this policy in particular would drive customers away?

The new ticket types/earnings are another thing, possibly, but they have nothing to do with the general membership year extension.
Agree completely, although Hilton gave everyone one extra year, that I am glad of as a paying and staying customer.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Re Hilton - here I am, quietly hoping that my 90 days Gold challenge is/will be extended ( originally valid until the end end of this month or so)

Marriott just extended my Plat by a year, as did TK, extended my TK*G by a year ( so now I’m good until 2/2024!)
intuition likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
as did TK, extended my TK*G by a year ( so now I’m good until 2/2024!)
TK extended my *G by 6 months only. Are the giving different extension duration for different people ? No complains though, as I will not be renewing it beyond 2022.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Sorry, wishful thinking on my part - TK extended by 6 months, so I should be good until 6/23 (if they calculas I do)
SPBanker and lento like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
AA reduced status thresholds by miles by 40% and extended current status 12months 👍

so 60000EQM for Executive Platinum 45000eqm for Platinum Pro and 30000eqm for Platinum just incase anyone cares Peaked my intrest 😂
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
AA reduced status thresholds by miles by 40% and extended current status 12months 👍

so 60000EQM for Executive Platinum 45000eqm for Platinum Pro and 30000eqm for Platinum just incase anyone cares Peaked my intrest 😂
Not only that but each dollar you spend on their credit cards thru Dec 2020 counts for Million Miler status just like the good old days.
kauppias likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Not only that but each dollar you spend on their credit cards thru Dec 2020 counts for Million Miler status just like the good old days.
indeed for those who can get it 😁 or have it Easy MM status for those who can spend alot fast 😁
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:46 am

many programs are now saying 12 months as is and some are adding bonuses so its easy to make decisions and plans based on FIRM offers not maybes or perhaps... just a thought

SAS is playing it way differently but they allways do 😁
SAS has now also joined the 12 month extension club.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by lento
SAS has now also joined the 12 month extension club.

yes but with a little twist Only earned accounts extended so if you softlanded or received a gift status evidently you are SOL
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:15 pm

yes but with a little twist Only earned accounts extended so if you softlanded or received a gift status evidently you are SOL
Hehe...did not give that much attention, they always find a way.
kauppias likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lento
Hehe...did not give that much attention, they always find a way.
indeed I just hope they dont go bellyup before I can spend my stash of points there 😂
lento likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now that all others are giving 12 month extensions, AY who was the fast mover example leading the way with their 6 months extension, appears to be the loser laggard in the game, uh?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, we still don't know how fast this clears. AY can always give a 2nd 6 month extension if need be, but I hope that's not needed and we'll be in the air again. I just spent two nights in Tampere because I wanted to go somewhere... If this drags on for long, I'll seriously consider a two-nighter in Stockholm because Sweden is apparently the only country that accepts Finnish travellers without any restrictions.
remymartin and miamiflyer8 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.