Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AY Extend elite status or otherwise incentivize travel postponed by COVID-19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by FFlash
Then iT gets really bad When you don’t remember where the lounge is!
I promise to never* complain about lounges after this.

*for at least 6 months
FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I promise to never* complain about lounges after this.

*for at least 6 months
Even right now what frustrates me is the lack of consistency in an airline's own lounge network. Back in December the LH lounges at EWR only had three snacks and bottled water, meanwhile I saw that IAD had a selection of fresh food and soft drinks.

What is AY gonna do if and when lounges re-open? Leafy salads in Schengen and liquid ones non-Schengen?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
So was there additional time added to some or not? Confusing 😁

My account has been extended 18months
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kauppias
So was there additional time added to some or not? Confusing 😁
Not yet. My mistake.

3 x 6months added and waiting for 4th round.
kauppias likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Not yet. My mistake.

3 x 6months added and waiting for 4th round.
Ok, just making sure 😁
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
My original tracking period ended FEB/21, now I noticed it's AUG/22.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
It would be nice to hear your thoughts of extending the status period FinnairPlus_Ela. We have previously been given 18 months of extension to our status periods. Around this time everything has also been closed pretty much during the same time. So no lounges, no onboard perks, no fast track = no use for status. From now on (I'm not sure about the exact time but around these weeks) the status holders are starting to lose in this game, in other words our extension no longer covers the loss of status perks.

For most of us flying is not gonna be possible at least for a while because Finland has a gap between the two vaccinations and one shot doesn't seem to be enough almost anywhere. The lounges are still closed anyway and no platskudrinks are served. At the same time many of us have shown commitment to AY by bying points etc.

It kind of feels wrong if we lose the status that we have gained while waiting. An easy way to fix this would be to give us another 6 months extension. Are there any plans for this?
on22cz, EuroFlash and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by kanamurva
It would be nice to hear your thoughts of extending the status period FinnairPlus_Ela. We have previously been given 18 months of extension to our status periods. Around this time everything has also been closed pretty much during the same time. So no lounges, no onboard perks, no fast track = no use for status. From now on (I'm not sure about the exact time but around these weeks) the status holders are starting to lose in this game, in other words our extension no longer covers the loss of status perks.

For most of us flying is not gonna be possible at least for a while because Finland has a gap between the two vaccinations and one shot doesn't seem to be enough almost anywhere. The lounges are still closed anyway and no platskudrinks are served. At the same time many of us have shown commitment to AY by bying points etc.

It kind of feels wrong if we lose the status that we have gained while waiting. An easy way to fix this would be to give us another 6 months extension. Are there any plans for this?
Too bad AY has been promoless and quiet for awhile... Other the. Cancelled flight notifications and no possibility to reschedule some flights even ORC would be nice now or a +6/12month extension
Old Jun 8, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
6 months of status extension + a set of SH upgrade vouchers valid, say, over the summer to incentivise tier members to go somewhere and be able to upgrade the experience from abYsmal to aCceptable would be a nice gesture to help us bear with all the entry and testing requirements that make trips far from smooth. It's likely that many people would let the vouchers expire, but some would certainly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Helsinki Flyer and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:06 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The link between J onboard and lounges is not that strong. SK for instance has kept lounges and even use them for incentive. If, and that is an if, AY would go in the direction if oneclass on SH, I'd think they copy SK rather than wizz.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by intuition
The link between J onboard and lounges is not that strong. SK for instance has kept lounges and even use them for incentive. If, and that is an if, AY would go in the direction if oneclass on SH, I'd think they copy SK rather than wizz.
I doubt AY would want to diminish their brand with a one class concept to be honest. But I am sure they will keep the lounges closed for awhile to save money.... I honestly wish they would atleast open them now with a limited concept for the time being, say coffee and soft drinks with some prepackaged snacks...

Something would be better then nothing!
aapee, Steve_Hun and Teppo like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:34 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Spending two grand plus Euros to push up tier from Gold to Plat was like throwing money in the garbage! Sorry Finnair but despite being based in Finland I'll be looking for other companies to travel with.
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by finlandbased
Spending two grand plus Euros to push up tier from Gold to Plat was like throwing money in the garbage! Sorry Finnair but despite being based in Finland I'll be looking for other companies to travel with.
Sometimes it does feel like it... Certainly depends on the timing, I had crap timing in changing award points to tierpoints and then have them do the promo for free tier points but that's just bad luck...

Hopefully they will either to a massive 2x tierpromo for the rest of 2021 or perhaps a extension... Otherwise they will indeed lose customers.

Being Finland based has never impacted my choice of FF program personally, as many might remember I avoided AY like the plague for many years 😀😀

I still think AY should and COULD offer a domestic travel promo say 2x tierpoints for first 2 domestic RT's 3x tierpoints for 3-4 and 4x for trips 5-8...

In the grand scheme of things those TPs won't break the bank AND it would be a fun way to promote flying domestically.... I have not had enough coffee yet to do the math but can't be that expensive... Hell they could even offer 50k tierpoints to the one with the most segments flown in this promo 😀😀😀

This idea coming from someone who has not flown a domestic Finland flight in propably 10+ years (last one was HEL-VAA when Malev went belly up)
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I can hardly imagine AY getting rid of Euro-J. After all, the concept is to sell J tickets from Europe to Asia. It would not work if that includes three hours in economy and ten hours in business while other companies offer full J all the way.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
I can hardly imagine AY getting rid of Euro-J. After all, the concept is to sell J tickets from Europe to Asia. It would not work if that includes three hours in economy and ten hours in business while other companies offer full J all the way.
I really wish AY would see the Value in having a true J seat in their shorthaul planes... Like Domestic F/J on domestic US flights... Could differentiate in their favor...
DrSickle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.