FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Pakistan air space closure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1958429-pakistan-air-space-closure.html)

oliver2002 Mar 18, 2019 9:57 am

PK is refusing any entry from the Indian FIR for now. This is expected to continue till the Indian elections in May. The fact that with additional fuel, careful planning and a rather bumpy ride at lower altitudes over Muscat FIR the operation is still going on shows that this is not going to change in the near future.

Ed Size Mar 18, 2019 10:34 am

Sounds great, so I will discover the new route, was so bored with meals at Cox Bazar.

Globalromp Mar 18, 2019 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 30901099)
PK is refusing any entry from the Indian FIR for now. This is expected to continue till the Indian elections in May. The fact that with additional fuel, careful planning and a rather bumpy ride at lower altitudes over Muscat FIR the operation is still going on shows that this is not going to change in the near future.

That being the case, one would be reasonable to expect AY to be proactive with alternative schedules for customers on tight connections ?

oliver2002 Mar 19, 2019 2:00 am

Nope all airlines are not proactively rebooking but responding to the situation on a daily basis. Once it becomes clear when the flight will land in the hub, they are rebooking to alternatives.

jakas Mar 19, 2019 3:58 am

I though it was all normal now. Going first week April. Anyway I have 4 hours to a domestic connection so I can manage a 1 hour delay BUT on the way back I just have 1 hour connecting from Helsinki. Well its on the same ticket so I guess Finnair will sort it out

FFlash Mar 19, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Globalromp (Post 30903811)

That being the case, one would be reasonable to expect AY to be proactive with alternative schedules for customers on tight connections ?

OT but I was recently rebooked Proactively on another carrier and not happy about that and now fighting with my original routing credit (stingy them) for the much-needed segments

jakas Mar 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Flight to and from approx 90 mins. late. The Chinese and Arabian airlines are flying over Pakistan

Peregrine415 Mar 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Flew Emirates this week from Dubai to Delhi. Instead of overflying PK airspace, the plane headed south int he direction of Bombay and turned north to Delhi. Similarly on AY 122 last Friday, our plane headed south to Bombay and north via Tehran, Caspian and Russian air space.

jakas Mar 24, 2019 3:05 pm

If you see flight tracker its south of Pakistan airspace that all aircraft enter from which fly from Europe to India, Thailand.........

oliver2002 Mar 25, 2019 3:17 am

Originally Posted by jakas (Post 30921395)
Flight to and from approx 90 mins. late. The Chinese and Arabian airlines are flying over Pakistan

Carriers are allowed to use the PK airspace to fly from/to China, but not from/to India. The East-West traffic is all flying via Muscat FIR. The L301 'highway' just south of Karachi is a very very busy place these days.

https://ops.group/blog/pakistan-india/

Ed Size Apr 16, 2019 12:39 am

Just been hit by this. Now I wonder how clear it really is that we are talking about "unforeseen circumstances" since this is going on for months. I find it a bit unfair that AY on the one hand side are not change the flight times officially (so everyone has the right to cancel his flights free of charge) and on the other hand side they play the "unforeseen circumstances" card and no one hit by this will get any kind of compensation.

I was hit by this yesterday and I arrived more then 4.5 hours late at my destination (which cost me some money). Also the handling at HEL airport was - in my case - not the very best. They booked me to my final destination via MUC on flights operated by Lufthansa - I could see this in the app while I was still on board of AY142. But everyone else got their new boarding passes at the arrival hall (and some fellow passengers been booked on earlier flights to the same destination even if we traveled on paid J tickets and the two of us are being AY Platinum for close too fifteen years). So no boarding passes for us, we where send to the transfer desk. The lady working on the Priority lane had a "Do not disturb" sign in front of her, the other two desks been occupied by people asking questions and want to change seats etc. etc.. So we had to wait about 20 minutes - just to learn that AY is not able to give us boarding passes, and they told us to check in with the LH app or directly at the gate (they easily could told us so in the first place instead of sending us to the desk).

So my three main complains here:
We were not booked on the earliest connection even with paid J tickets and the two of us are Platinums (maybe the other four fellow travelers to Berlin are in the same situation).

Instead of telling us to get the boarding passes at the new gate, they where sending us to the transfer desk which keeps us busy for more then one hour.

Had to pay about 80€ for my van since I was not at the airport in time, and had to pay additional 120€ for the second van on the new arrival time. So I lost 120€ here.

quinzinho Apr 16, 2019 1:11 am

OK, since I will likely face the same problem I checked with Finnair proactively to ask them to book be on a KL-operated flight out of HEL which for sure I am able to make. Otherwise, my 1 hour layover between BKK-HEL and HEL-AMS is too risky looking at AY142 performance this week.

Guess what? Response was: sorry, we're not sure it will be delayed, so we can't do anything. Asked to recheck, saying they would need to make costs to accommodate me if I miss the flight which is now likely... Again: same answer.
Sad.. Guess I have to hope in 3 weeks from now this issue has been resolved. Otherwise I'll hit them with a EU261 claim for sure...

Ed Size Apr 16, 2019 1:19 am

Originally Posted by quinzinho (Post 31005333)
Otherwise I'll hit them with a EU261 claim for sure...

Which you most likely need to bring to court, since by the book the rules are on the side of AY. And AY was never very easy with EU261 claims.

on22cz Apr 16, 2019 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Ed Size (Post 31005279)
Had to pay about 80€ for my van since I was not at the airport in time, and had to pay additional 120€ for the second van on the new arrival time. So I lost 120€ here.

I'm sure you can claim those additional costs from AY. It's a different thing than Article 7 compensation.

Ed Size Apr 16, 2019 2:46 am

Originally Posted by on22cz (Post 31005443)
I'm sure you can claim those additional costs from AY. It's a different thing than Article 7 compensation.

It´s not really about compensation, it´s just the way AY communicate on this. Why do they only start rebookings while the aircraft is already in the air? If they know that in advance. In my case it was a little different since we had an extra long delay.