FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Pakistan air space closure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1958429-pakistan-air-space-closure.html)

Courmisch Feb 27, 2019 11:15 am

Pakistan air space closure

Originally Posted by Finnair
Due to airspace closure of Pakistan, some Finnair flights are unfortunately disrupted on 27 and 28 Feb 2019. Our flight AY121 on Feb 27 from Helsinki to Delhi and the flight AY122 on Feb 28 from Delhi to Helsinki have been cancelled.

On flights between Helsinki and Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore there are delays due to longer flight routes and possible fueling stops. The airspace closure does not affect our flights to/from China and Japan.

Courmisch Feb 27, 2019 11:16 am

AY132 arrives at 7:30, will wreck a lot of morning connections.

kauppias Feb 27, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Bdsm (Post 30828127)
Mostly re-opened already. Will mostly affect airlines that have really tight fleet situation, e.g. Finnair, esp. their long haul operations. Even one diversion to Dubai has substantial effect on their next day operations, let alone many diversions as today. Good luck with getting any compensation or ground care.

Ground care they are legally obligated to give, but compensation will fall outside EU261 I beleive since this is due to a govt action!

lento Feb 27, 2019 11:53 am

Mostly re-opened already..

I don't see anything open yet except for the open sky without planes ;)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2d948979fb.png

Sorte Feb 27, 2019 11:58 am

Pakistan Notam

A0200/19 (Issued for OPKR OPLR) – PAKISTAN AIRSPACE IS CLOSED. 27 FEB 07:30 2019 UNTIL 28 FEB 23:59 2019 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 27 FEB 07:32 2019

OH-LGG Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Mostly re-opened already. Will mostly affect airlines that have really tight fleet situation, e.g. Finnair, esp. their long haul operations. Even one diversion to Dubai has substantial effect on their next day operations, let alone many diversions as today. Good luck with getting any compensation or ground care.

What is mostly re-opened?

Today 3 AY planes made technical stop in DWC and no effects on any departing long haul departing HEL.

Courmisch Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Mostly re-opened already.

It's not reopening until end of tomorrow.

Will mostly affect airlines that have really tight fleet situation, e.g. Finnair, esp. their long haul operations. Even one diversion to Dubai has substantial effect on their next day operations

Finnair has been able to handle the delay to all three planes today, without incurring cascading delays.

Connections will be missed, but that's got nothing to do with fleet size and will affect all airlines.

But nice try as far as trolling is concerned!

let alone many diversions as today. Good luck with getting any compensation or ground care.

Compensation is not due for force majeure. And I bet you have nothing to substantiate your claims about ground care.

HMPS Feb 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sorte (Post 30828214)
Pakistan Notam

A0200/19 (Issued for OPKR OPLR) – PAKISTAN AIRSPACE IS CLOSED. 27 FEB 07:30 2019 UNTIL 28 FEB 23:59 2019 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 27 FEB 07:32 2019

"look at us poor country, forced to close airspace".

Sounds more like a PR ploy

Superrman Feb 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 30828640)
"look at us poor country, forced to close airspace".

Sounds more like a PR ploy

Airspace closure is big economic loss for Pakistan itself too, doubtful that there is no legitimate reason. Yesterday one/two (depending on source) IAF aircraft were shot down, don't want a potential repeat of MH17 alongside this.

Superrman Feb 28, 2019 5:44 am

Latest NOTAM from Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority signals closure of airspace until 1903010800 UTC (March 1st 8 AM UTC)

https://www.caapakistan.com.pk/notams/notamview.aspx

OH-LGG Feb 28, 2019 5:52 am

AY traffic running normally.

Only DEL AY121 is retimed to depart 15 min earlier and AY144 from BKK will make tech stop in DWC.

And some late arrivals from Asia, Like AY162 from SGN 13hrs flighttime.

Superrman Feb 28, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30830924)

Only DEL AY121 is retimed to depart 15 min earlier and AY144 from BKK will make tech stop in DWC.

Off-topic, but I found it somewhat surprising that TG had such big disruption yesterday. EU-BKK is highly reliant on Pakistan corridor, but other airlines were able to manage better. Tighter margins/worse at preparing for IRROP perhaps?

OH-LGG Feb 28, 2019 6:09 am

TG opened the sky today by using China routing to Europe. Like VN moved to China routing on VN55 from HAN to LHR

Superrman Feb 28, 2019 6:15 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30830982)
TG opened the sky today by using China routing to Europe. Like VN moved to China routing on VN55 from HAN to LHR

True, although can still expect delay as most direct route over Tibet plateau not open nor viable for commercial flight.

warakorn Feb 28, 2019 8:26 am

Do you want to take chance to be identified as IAF plane, when crossing from Indian into Pakistani airspace?

ffay005 Feb 28, 2019 8:27 am

Phew! They better stop fighting down there and not mess up my Plat runs to DEL in April!

jakas Feb 28, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30831389)
Phew! They better stop fighting down there and not mess up my Plat runs to DEL in April!

same here but I think its all PEACE now as of now 28.02.2019

HMPS Feb 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jakas (Post 30832061)
same here but I think its all PEACE now as of now 28.02.2019

Rest easy. Neither wants an all out war, least the Pakistanis as in a major war they will be decimated very quickly. INdia is a peace loving country, never invaded others.

ffay005 Feb 28, 2019 12:39 pm

So this was nonstop? How many kms was the flightpath? PVR is scheduled at "only" 12h 20 min and it's 9975 km.

FFlash Feb 28, 2019 12:47 pm

FA just said they rerouted 500 pax on her workday

OH-LGG Feb 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30832410)
So this was nonstop? How many kms was the flightpath? PVR is scheduled at "only" 12h 20 min and it's 9975 km.

162 was nonstop.

AY142 flew over 12hrs from Bangkok and the Climax waited in HEL. OH-LWB suffered a hydraulic tech and emergency vehicles secured landing and after landing plane had to stop at the end of runway and was towed to the gate. It took 30 minutes more. :o

Superrman Mar 1, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by PAKISTAN CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY
PAKISTAN AIRSPACE WILL REMAIN CLOSED FOR ALL OPERATIONS TILL
04TH MARCH 2019,TIME 0800 UTC(EST) EXCEPT THE FOLLOWING:

FLIGHT OPERATIONS ONLY TO/FROM KARACHI INTERNATIONAL, PESHAWAR
INTERNATIONAL, QUETTA INTERNATIONAL AND ISLAMABAD INTERNATIONAL
AIRPORTS WITH RESTRICTED ENTRY/EXIT AS FOLLOWS WILL BE AVAILABLE...

Situation with delay/disruption is continuing for a few more days.

OH-LGG Mar 2, 2019 12:38 am

Today Thailand arrivals AY142 and AY152 moved to Laos, China, Russia routing. Saving flight time few hours. AY142 even faster than scheduled 10:55 on basic routing.

Courmisch Mar 2, 2019 3:47 am

There must a reason why Finnair does not normally take the shorter route over Tibet. Is it just that China is charging too much?

Superrman Mar 2, 2019 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch (Post 30838205)
There must a reason why Finnair does not normally take the shorter route over Tibet. Is it just that China is charging too much?

From some quick Googling, safety issues due to altitude seem to be the main reason. Average altitude in Tibetan plateau is around 5000m, this prevents standard drift-down procedures in case of engine loss or drop in cabin pressure. Not even factoring in the Himalayas with 8000m+ mountains. (Usual procedure upon loss of oxygen is to drop down to 10000ft/3048m altitude, not always possible over Tibet).

If this is all wrong, please let me know. Can't always trust the internet :D

reflektia Mar 2, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Superrman (Post 30838247)
From some quick Googling, safety issues due to altitude seem to be the main reason. Average altitude in Tibetan plateau is around 5000m, this prevents standard drift-down procedures in case of engine loss or drop in cabin pressure. Not even factoring in the Himalayas with 8000m+ mountains. (Usual procedure upon loss of oxygen is to drop down to 10000ft/3048m altitude, not always possible over Tibet).

If this is all wrong, please let me know. Can't always trust the internet :D

IIRC a340 could go over himalayas, it has issues with twin motor airplane due problems arising with single motor failure.

this also from internets and might be wrong

fransknorge Mar 2, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch (Post 30838205)

Looking at FR24 you can see there are virtually no flights over Tibet, due to the high altitude of the Himalaya and the plateau. A depressurisation would be a disaster.

seldomrfly Mar 2, 2019 12:24 pm

Seems like Thai are cruising over the plateau atm.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...41f30d66ad.png

OH-LGG Mar 2, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by seldomrfly (Post 30839559)
Seems like Thai are cruising over the plateau atm.

There is no FR24 coverage and all positions are estimated and not following real flight paths.

seldomrfly Mar 2, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 30839651)
There is no FR24 coverage and all positions are estimated and not following real flight paths.

True.
Blue line behind the plane is real coverage.
Black/Dark grey is estimated route.

ffay005 Mar 10, 2019 11:06 pm

It seems that Thailand flights now avoid Pakistani airspace by flying over the Arabian Sea and via Iran. No Russia-China route anymore.

These flight times must be a whole lot longer than scheduled. I’ll be flying SGN-HEL on Thursday. Could anyone estimate what the odds are that we need to make a fuel stop? The flight will probably be at least an hour late inbound anyway, and since they’re unable to make up for it during ground time, I’m assuming arrival in HEL will be delayed by at least two hours without extra stops.

florens Mar 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30871553)
It seems that Thailand flights now avoid Pakistani airspace by flying over the Arabian Sea and via Iran. No Russia-China route anymore.

These flight times must be a whole lot longer than scheduled. I’ll be flying SGN-HEL on Thursday. Could anyone estimate what the odds are that we need to make a fuel stop? The flight will probably be at least an hour late inbound anyway, and since they’re unable to make up for it during ground time, I’m assuming arrival in HEL will be delayed by at least two hours without extra stops.

AY162 did fly that route on 28.2. with no fuel stops and it took 13h. Obviously a lot will depend on winds too.

ffay005 Mar 11, 2019 12:22 am

That's what I had in mind, too. It's a looong flight, and I wonder what the odds are that a fuel stop is necessary. A350-900 should have a range of 15 000 km and SGN-DWC-HEL, which imitates the route pretty well, is only 10206 km. Should be fine, I guess.

helahela Mar 11, 2019 7:13 am

Hello. I am actually in a sticky situation with Finnair right now. I was on the DEL-HEL on 28th Feb. Due to very last minute change I had to fly straight from HEL to MAD and bought a oneway HEL-MAD ticket on Finnair. Of course as I landed the gate was closed. Went to gate 31 customer service desk, where they told me, sorry there is nothing we can do for you today, but we can put you on a flight tomorrow, which was not good enough as I really needed to make it to Madrid that night. Then the polite lady told me, OK ... we will issue you a full refund and I bought a oneway ticket for KLM that was leaving shortly.
Only to be told last week by Finnair. Sorry you cancelled your flight after departure, no refund will be given. I complained again to the web form, but so far no anwser. It was not a cheapest ticket of them all, so refund would be widely appreciated.

Globalromp Mar 11, 2019 8:55 am

Watching this thread closely as I will be attempting a 50min connection fm AY142 (BKK-HEL) to AY1365 (HEL-MAN) in early April.

1365 is the last flight to MAN for the day. Given recent punctuality of AY142, I am not optimistic of making this connection.

Anything I can or should do whilst awaiting the inevitable ?

Ed Size Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Globalromp (Post 30872867)
Anything I can or should do whilst awaiting the inevitable ?

Not really in my experience AY only acts if the problem is already there. Once I flew out of PRG to HEL onwards to BKK, the in bound flight to PRG was about 3 hours late, I called them and ask them if they can reroute me on another airline, they declined. I flow to HEL, got my connection missed message, was booked into the Hilton and flew on the next day (lucky me I got the compensation since it was technical).

Are there any other flights to MAN on that day (with other airlines), then they may rebook you. Also they possible wait if too many pax are missing the connection.

ffay005 Mar 11, 2019 9:44 am

We don't know what the situation will be like in early April, and if you contact AY now, they'll most likely do nothing and ask you to wait.

If the problem persists, you could try to call them a few days prior to your flights, and have a suggestion ready, suggesting alternative AY flights. I don't believe they are willing to proactively move you to another carrier. There is a BKK-LHR flight on BA that would take you to LHR at 18:30, in time for the 20:30 to MAN, but I'd be amazed if AY lets you do this.

So should that fail, I'd be prepared for a HEL-LHR-MAN flight the same evening (if there is such a connection; seems to me the last LHR-MAN flight on BA is at 20:30, which does not work for you) or the morning flight HEL-MAN the next day. I find it unlikely that they will present you with this solution at BKK, so you'll need to contact ground staff at HEL.

Often1 Mar 11, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by helahela (Post 30872478)
Hello. I am actually in a sticky situation with Finnair right now. I was on the DEL-HEL on 28th Feb. Due to very last minute change I had to fly straight from HEL to MAD and bought a oneway HEL-MAD ticket on Finnair. Of course as I landed the gate was closed. Went to gate 31 customer service desk, where they told me, sorry there is nothing we can do for you today, but we can put you on a flight tomorrow, which was not good enough as I really needed to make it to Madrid that night. Then the polite lady told me, OK ... we will issue you a full refund and I bought a oneway ticket for KLM that was leaving shortly.
Only to be told last week by Finnair. Sorry you cancelled your flight after departure, no refund will be given. I complained again to the web form, but so far no anwser. It was not a cheapest ticket of them all, so refund would be widely appreciated.

You were on separate tickets and simply no showed for your departure from HEL. Thus, your ticket was cancelled and it retains whatever value it had under its fare rules. I presume that to be EUR 0, although you should still be able to obtain a refund of the taxes less a service fee (which may also not be worthwhile.

The agent who advised that the ticket would be refunded likely had no authority to do so. Nonetheless, you could frame your request to AY as being a promise. If you have the individual's name, you should include that. If not, provide a description and the specific location where you interacted.

ffay005 Mar 13, 2019 2:13 am

BKK planes seem to fly over Russia and China again.