Wiki Posts
Search

Efficient ways to earn Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
Or 19 trips OSL-RIX. 114€/each. ��
Only finding 129€ fares myself, and with an overnight in RIX. But cheaper than TLL, VNO or WAW.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Superrman
Only finding 129€ fares myself, and with an overnight in RIX. But cheaper than TLL, VNO or WAW.
On momondo swedish there are some OTA's pricing it 114€. Depends on if you have a card with cheap exhange fees, since you will pay in SEK. Lately it has turned out to be the cheapest option for me.
On matrix there is a few 0 nights options with overnight in HEL,but I can't find them on an OTA either. But hey, there are cheap hotels in RIX and a quite good lounge.
In the end maybe not too practical.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aama
Does anyone have any tips & tricks about efficient ways to earn Platsku or should we just change the title to "Which OW FFP is the best"?
Well, yes -- much of the commentary does seem to have become tangential, doesn't it? But since it has ...

Mrs999 and I are primarily leisure travellers but we travel a lot. We joined SK EuroBonus in 1997 and were Gold for a good few years. After about 10 years, however, as EB got more and more crapified, we switched to (the late, lamented) BMI Diamond Club -- the best frequent flyer scheme of all time. -- and became Gold members there. When BA eventually bought BMI, we were given 'transitional' BA Gold status. During that first year with BA, we did a lot of research. Should we find another *A programme and continue with our customary travel patterns? Or should we re-focus on OW? Do we stay with BA? Or, should we switch to AY+? Comparing the requirements / benefits trade-off, we concluded that, for us, it made more sense to stay with BA. (At the risk of sounding smug, I should perhaps also add here that we are fortunate in never having to fly long-haul in sardine class any more. I sympathise with those of you who are trying to work this out in regard to flights to Asia and/or NA in Y.)

Originally Posted by haapalainen
This is exactly the reason I changed to BAEC after a couple of years of AY Platsku. With AY their partner earnings especially in J are just so much less than their own metal whereas BA gives equal credits for all OW airlines.
When I first saw this thread, I immediately had an answer for the OP's question. After reading all 152 comments, I was amazed that no-one had beat me to it. But now, in considering haapalainen's comment, I wonder if it's such a good idea after all. And, thinking back, I seem to recall that it was one of the factors that stopped us from switching to AY+ back in 2013-2014. As a highly-efficient way to earn status, I was going to suggest a OneWorld round-the-world trip in J, the so-called DONEx. These are still quite good value and we are lucky here in the frozen north that OSL happens to be one of the cheapest starting points in the world. Herself and I not only keep up our Gold status this way but also generate a ton of Avios points which we use primarily for BA's extreme-bargain 'Reward Saver' (few points and low tax) flights to London.

But ... if AY+ does not credit business-class flights on its OW partners fairly, then I guess a world-round might in fact not be the way to go.
Flying Yazata and remymartin like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by henry999
Should we find another *A programme and continue with our customary travel patterns? Or should we re-focus on OW? Do we stay with BA? Or, should we switch to AY+? Comparing the requirements / benefits trade-off, we concluded that, for us, it made more sense to stay with BA.
Personally I guess I'd go for LH and just by myself cheap J tickets in booking class P, if I'd entertain the notion of going *A. SK is convenient from TKU, TMP and VAA, but EB isn't that interesting as a *A FFP. The only benefit would be AMEX MR earnings and being able to convert to EB award credits. My secondary FFP isn't in *A, but with ST. The network is of greater interest than *A, at least in terms of fares available, if excluding SK and LH in *A. But I'm thankfully not obliged to do business travels abroad, so I'm free to do as I please.

Originally Posted by henry999
I was going to suggest a OneWorld round-the-world trip in J, the so-called DONEx. These are still quite good value and we are lucky here in the frozen north that OSL happens to be one of the cheapest starting points in the world.
DONEx for FFP status with BAEC isn't really that efficient in terms of the cost. It's probably fun, but I rather recommend doing e.g. a few TATL bookings in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.