FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Efficient ways to earn Platinum
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:34 am
henry999

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aama
Does anyone have any tips & tricks about efficient ways to earn Platsku or should we just change the title to "Which OW FFP is the best"?
Well, yes -- much of the commentary does seem to have become tangential, doesn't it? But since it has ...

Mrs999 and I are primarily leisure travellers but we travel a lot. We joined SK EuroBonus in 1997 and were Gold for a good few years. After about 10 years, however, as EB got more and more crapified, we switched to (the late, lamented) BMI Diamond Club -- the best frequent flyer scheme of all time. -- and became Gold members there. When BA eventually bought BMI, we were given 'transitional' BA Gold status. During that first year with BA, we did a lot of research. Should we find another *A programme and continue with our customary travel patterns? Or should we re-focus on OW? Do we stay with BA? Or, should we switch to AY+? Comparing the requirements / benefits trade-off, we concluded that, for us, it made more sense to stay with BA. (At the risk of sounding smug, I should perhaps also add here that we are fortunate in never having to fly long-haul in sardine class any more. I sympathise with those of you who are trying to work this out in regard to flights to Asia and/or NA in Y.)

Originally Posted by haapalainen
This is exactly the reason I changed to BAEC after a couple of years of AY Platsku. With AY their partner earnings especially in J are just so much less than their own metal whereas BA gives equal credits for all OW airlines.
When I first saw this thread, I immediately had an answer for the OP's question. After reading all 152 comments, I was amazed that no-one had beat me to it. But now, in considering haapalainen's comment, I wonder if it's such a good idea after all. And, thinking back, I seem to recall that it was one of the factors that stopped us from switching to AY+ back in 2013-2014. As a highly-efficient way to earn status, I was going to suggest a OneWorld round-the-world trip in J, the so-called DONEx. These are still quite good value and we are lucky here in the frozen north that OSL happens to be one of the cheapest starting points in the world. Herself and I not only keep up our Gold status this way but also generate a ton of Avios points which we use primarily for BA's extreme-bargain 'Reward Saver' (few points and low tax) flights to London.

But ... if AY+ does not credit business-class flights on its OW partners fairly, then I guess a world-round might in fact not be the way to go.