Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Platinum? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Trav1970
... Why is the rewarding different?[/left]
IMHO, the simple answer is that the same-year-ladder-climber is an anomaly. It is the fringe case AY loyalty didn't plan for or didn't think will happen enough to cause any damage. So in order to not overcomplicate the rules, they allow it.
NoWindowSeat and ffay005 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by juhanh
Yes! I missed that the first time I qualified for Plat and let one gift go to waste.
Oh .... so that means I'm getting 2x gift gold in 2 months time as my planning is I'll turn Plat in January 2019 and my tracking period renews in February 2019.
What am I supposed to do with those? I know no one who regularly travels Finnair except for my boyfriend. Lol.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
What am I supposed to do with those? ...
No stress. the one you get in feb 2019 lasts for 12 month, so you can wait and use it when/if the need arises.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
No stress. the one you get in feb 2019 lasts for 12 month, so you can wait and use it when/if the need arises.
So I could let's say use it in February 2020, and will the validity from there be 12 months? So I can technically use it for myself ?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Finnair

You will be able to use it until the last day of your platinum period, not beyond that. So that alone makes it impossible to use on yourself.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
You will be able to use it until the last day of your platinum period, not beyond that. So that alone makes it impossible to use on yourself.
I see, so the gift gold isnt 12 months, it runs as long as the plat is plat? I thought it is just 12 months valid from the time you activate it. In that case it would be possible to create a new Finnair Plus account and make it gold around the end of my Plat period. Im for sure not gonna qualify for gold or plat a 2nd time, so that would be handy if I could use it for myself.

Sorry for all the questions, I’m pretty new to this but having a long distance relationship is gonna get me plat by segments soon 😂 just wanna use the benefits as good as possible.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I see, so the gift gold isnt 12 months, it runs as long as the plat is plat?
The gift gold is 12 months + days to the end of the month. However you will be at least Gold for the next 12 months after your last day of Plat. Finnair Plus has soft landing, i.e. if you don't requalify for Plat you will fall to Gold even if you wouldn't have flown at all. The same thing for Golds, we will soft land to Silver.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

This will be clearer to you once you reach plat, as you will see the expiry date of the gold card gift in your account.

There are two validities to understand:

The right to gift a gold card will run from the day you first turn plat until last day of your membership year. For the next membership year, when you are still platinum, the right to gift a gold card will run from the first day of your new membership year until the last day of the membership year.

The gifted gold card will make the recipient gold from the day the gift is recieved until end of the month that is 12 month minus 1 day after the gift is recieved. Ie cards given on day 1 of a month is valid for exactly 12 months, cards given on day 2 of a month are valid for 12 month and 29 days.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Finnair Plat
Value of Platinum status?

I need some good ideas and fresh thinking:

I’m changing job and I don’t expect to fly that much in the future: possibly 5-10 business return flights and 1-2 leisure return flights / year.

Currently I have ~80.000 tier points and 200.000+ award points: i.e. I’m able to maintain my Plat status by changing all my points to tier points.

By keeping the Plat I will have the benefits:

- lounge access

- upgrade vouchers

- Gold card to my wife

- what else?

Alternative would downgrade me to Gold, but keep 200.000 points for other use:

- what is this other use? I have found it very difficult even as a Plat member to get some reasonable flight tickets, and the taxes makes 50-70% of the cheap tickets cost

- My life-time points are still <2.000.000; i.e. limited chance for a life-time status

I’m keen to hear interesting thinking of pros and cons of remaining the Plat status – for one more final year.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by Talonmies
I need some good ideas and fresh thinking:

I’m changing job and I don’t expect to fly that much in the future: possibly 5-10 business return flights and 1-2 leisure return flights / year.

Currently I have ~80.000 tier points and 200.000+ award points: i.e. I’m able to maintain my Plat status by changing all my points to tier points.

By keeping the Plat I will have the benefits:

- lounge access

- upgrade vouchers

- Gold card to my wife

- what else?

Alternative would downgrade me to Gold, but keep 200.000 points for other use:

- what is this other use? I have found it very difficult even as a Plat member to get some reasonable flight tickets, and the taxes makes 50-70% of the cheap tickets cost

- My life-time points are still <2.000.000; i.e. limited chance for a life-time status

I’m keen to hear interesting thinking of pros and cons of remaining the Plat status – for one more final year.
Your 200,000 points are worth 4 longhaul upgrades for example. Pretty much what you regain when renewing Platinum incl. the 4 SH vouchers that your wife will get with her Gold card, so all perks and extras that come with the Platinum status are pretty much free.

Then there is the Platinum wing, which might be available only for Platinum members once it finally opens and the renovation of the business class lounge is finished whenever that might be. This would be reason enough for me to exchange the 200,000 to renew.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB

LH flights are bad value in Y if you do not need the flexibility because of the YR that is charged. SH flights to Nordics/Europe tend to be a much better deal. My last ticket was 16k points plus around 50€ instead of over 250€ for a light ticket. And yes, an award was not available, but the waitlisted request cleared in a few hours.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Don't forget the soft landing to Gold - ie. if you make Plat but do not requalify again, you'll get an extra year of elite status (and 4SH vouchers)
Old May 29, 2019, 11:02 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Don't forget the soft landing to Gold - ie. if you make Plat but do not requalify again, you'll get an extra year of elite status (and 4SH vouchers)
I was in same situation with OP in September 2017, knowing that my flight pattern in 2018 won’t even hit Gold. Exchanged award points back then to keep plat, and I am still enjoying soft landing Gold until 1/1/2020.

One more year makes the difference.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Finnair Plat
Thanks!

I knew there would be some valuable ideas: I didn't think of the soft landing. Being already qualified to Gold this year, I would "loose" it.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Thanks!

I knew there would be some valuable ideas: I didn't think of the soft landing. Being already qualified to Gold this year, I would "loose" it.
Not sure if you are anywhere close to lifetime status but if yes, exchanged tier points also count for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.