Wiki Posts
Search

Value of Platinum? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Ah, I forgot the JV.

ICN seems to be the second cheapest Asian destination after BKK (true, I haven't looked seriously at the different CN cities). Going to TPE this month via ICN was rather cheaper than via the usual HKG route. Also vry useful, if one wants to use the 72/144 hrs Chinese TWOV opportunities.
I've flown this a couple times (tpe-icn-hel) but the overnight at ICN on the way out and having to book separate tickets on the way back kinda sucks. The prices for AY ex ICN are very cheap though. Really wish AY would start TPE....
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
I have a question kinda related to this thread, I've been looking at an other OW program in addition to AA, it looks like I would probably get enough points to make Platinum and EXP both. But my question is how easy is it to use the upgrade certificates? the AA SWU's are now pretty useless for somebody who will not fly in Y since they most of the time will not clear until very late. Can the finnair ones be used immediately at booking? Can they be shared for family members on the same flight?
You can upgrade anyone directly after booking. It is easy to check upgrade availability online. Given availability the ticket is updated usually in less than 30min after you request the upgrade.

More information can be found in the dedicated upgrade thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...pgrades-6.html
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
I've flown this a couple times (tpe-icn-hel) but the overnight at ICN on the way out and having to book separate tickets on the way back kinda sucks. The prices for AY ex ICN are very cheap though. Really wish AY would start TPE....
Actually the overnight in ICN was quite an eye-opener - Incheon is a real city! They have good hotel options (Hyatt just at the airport, Sheraton Grand, etc) so I didn't even go to SEL, but stayed in Incheon. But trying to get food at 4 pm - now that's a challenge!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
If possible, you could also try to do AA runs to the US since all AA flights earn at least 100% on AY.

For example there's "always" good deals between TYO-JFK.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jainzar
You can upgrade anyone directly after booking. It is easy to check upgrade availability online. Given availability the ticket is updated usually in less than 30min after you request the upgrade.

More information can be found in the dedicated upgrade thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...pgrades-6.html
Thanks for the link, will do some studying.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by subechin
With the JV you mean the codeshare with JAL, right ?
The JV is much deeper cooperation than just codeshare. The participating airlines (BA, AY, IB and JL) agree prices together and share revenues for the flights between Europe and Japan. That's why the usual AY ticket scheme is not available for flights to/from Japan.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by r2d2
The JV is much deeper cooperation than just codeshare. The participating airlines (BA, AY, IB and JL) agree prices together and share revenues for the flights between Europe and Japan. That's why the usual AY ticket scheme is not available for flights to/from Japan.
off-topic, but I've always wondered how this is allowed. I guess this combination was not deemed to have marketplace dominance in either Europe or Japan & vicinity...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Cartel laws do not seem to apply to airlines...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by CeruleanBlue
off-topic, but I've always wondered how this is allowed. I guess this combination was not deemed to have marketplace dominance in either Europe or Japan & vicinity...
That's why all airlines JV need to be cleared by competition authorities. In this case, it must have been deemed that there was enough competition from ANA+LH JV and other carriers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:31 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
I received AY Plat for the first time, 3 months before my tracking period ends. My account stated that I have a gold card gift that expires 31.12.2017. I thought that I get only one giveaway gold card when I achieve Platinum, and that it should expire in the end of my real Platinum tracking period (=31.12.2018).

I asked Plat CS about this, and they confirmed that this giveaway gold card that I have now expires 31.12.2017, but on 1.1.2018 I will get another giveaway gold card that expires 31.12.2018!

Am I the only one who didn´t know this already? One more reason to update your Gold for Platinum.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by HJP
I received AY Plat for the first time, 3 months before my tracking period ends. My account stated that I have a gold card gift that expires 31.12.2017. I thought that I get only one giveaway gold card when I achieve Platinum, and that it should expire in the end of my real Platinum tracking period (=31.12.2018).

I asked Plat CS about this, and they confirmed that this giveaway gold card that I have now expires 31.12.2017, but on 1.1.2018 I will get another giveaway gold card that expires 31.12.2018!

Am I the only one who didn´t know this already? One more reason to update your Gold for Platinum.
Interesting opportunity, though. You could potentially give it to separate persons - even 3 months AY Gold and softlanding to Silver seems worth it to some.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I don't think it is the validity of the gifted card, is it?
It is the action to gift a card that is valid for 3 months, but the gifted card is a normal 12m card.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:05 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I don't think it is the validity of the gifted card, is it?
It is the action to gift a card that is valid for 3 months, but the gifted card is a normal 12m card.
Correct, I can gift 2 gold cards, both of which have 12months validity. So 2 different persons can benefit.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by HJP
Correct, I can gift 2 gold cards, both of which have 12months validity. So 2 different persons can benefit.
Yes, this is really nice. Once my wife's first gifted Gold expires next month, I still have the other one waiting and will give it to her - so two years of Gold time for her due to my decision of going for Plat last fall!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
My situation looks like this:

Tracking period ends 31JAN. I will be 19702 points short of Platinum at that time.

My options are:

1) Transfer 60k award points into 20k tier points

2) Fly HEL-DEL-HEL for €548 and spend 4 hours at DEL airport. This would be a first for me – I've never flown same-plane returns although I tried once. This would get me 20k tier points and 20k award points.

3) Fly TLL-HEL-DEL-HEL-TLL and take the ferry HEL-TLL for €455 and €16 respectively, throw away the HEL-TLL leg, 22 813 tier and award points.

I'm kinda leaning towards option 2 here although I'm definitely no fan of DEL, having visited the city once. But the gain here would be 80k award points for €548+€44 (eVisa), right? I've been reading Intuition's terrific Delhi Deli trip report over and over again...

A couple of questions:
- Can you eat the food at the lounge, or will you get Delhi belly?
- Does AY cater the DEL-HEL flight from HEL or from DEL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.