FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Value of Platinum? [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyeBye

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by Talonmies
I need some good ideas and fresh thinking:

I’m changing job and I don’t expect to fly that much in the future: possibly 5-10 business return flights and 1-2 leisure return flights / year.

Currently I have ~80.000 tier points and 200.000+ award points: i.e. I’m able to maintain my Plat status by changing all my points to tier points.

By keeping the Plat I will have the benefits:

- lounge access

- upgrade vouchers

- Gold card to my wife

- what else?

Alternative would downgrade me to Gold, but keep 200.000 points for other use:

- what is this other use? I have found it very difficult even as a Plat member to get some reasonable flight tickets, and the taxes makes 50-70% of the cheap tickets cost

- My life-time points are still <2.000.000; i.e. limited chance for a life-time status

I’m keen to hear interesting thinking of pros and cons of remaining the Plat status – for one more final year.
Your 200,000 points are worth 4 longhaul upgrades for example. Pretty much what you regain when renewing Platinum incl. the 4 SH vouchers that your wife will get with her Gold card, so all perks and extras that come with the Platinum status are pretty much free.

Then there is the Platinum wing, which might be available only for Platinum members once it finally opens and the renovation of the business class lounge is finished whenever that might be. This would be reason enough for me to exchange the 200,000 to renew.