Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I'm with intuition on this. Finnair is not a hotel chain, it is not a franchising business. A revenue-based system is not the graal. The goal of the loyalty program is to bring more money. It works by distorting the competition through incentivizing loyalty: customers are willing to pay some more for AY (or OW) to earn points and/or for the tier benefits.

On the one hand, it makes perfect sense to give "only" 3,000 points for an expensive KUO<->HEL Pro ticket, because there are no alternatives, so no needs to reward loyalty there. On the other hand, it also makes sense to give more points on cheap Europe-Asia tickets where there is a lot of competition.

I spent hundreds of € in Value upfaring in the past few years. And thousands of € on AY airfares, where I could have bought cheaper tickets from other carriers. (I have only done positioning once, and never done MR. So I consider myself less abnormal a customer than many here ) If Finnair reverted to the old system, I would aim for Silver on segments like back then: buying the dirt cheapest tickets. If Finnair went pure revenue-based, I would ditch loyalty altogether. I don't think that makes them more money.

But they might just do it anyway because others are doing it. That's why I already wrote it "sounds scary".
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I don’t like what OH-LGG saying, but I don’t disagree with him, either. However, I'm not sure a €-based system would be beneficial for AY and their Asian strategy.

So what are the status members of AY+ like? I think most will fit into one of the following categories. And I think that the two factors any airline wants to consider when granting status is the loyalty the status will create and the cost that will come with the status.

Group 1: Mauri Maakunta. Mauri flies frequently, but almost exclusively within Finland. He qualifies on segments. Domestic tickets are expensive as there’s often little choice. He will be loyal to AY because he has no options, on the other hand he won’t create unbearable costs because the tickets he buys are expensive and the benefits he gets are valid only on half his flights: there are lounges and priority security lines at HEL, only. AY won’t even lose revenue by letting him prereserve seats for free, because on short domestic hops, no one is paying for those seats anyway. He does like his gold card, however, because he can enjoy the benefits when he takes his wife to RHO every summer and he thinks AY is the world's best airline.

Group 2: Pentti Pisnesmies. Pentti needs to take frequent work-related flights to Europe. If he’s smart, he books light tickets and qualifies by segments. If he is restricted by company policies, which he probably is, he buys changeable and expensive tickes and might qualify with points. He gets more benefits than Mauri because the outstations have priority lines and third party lounges, and he might bring in less revenue than Mauri, too. But he does have options, so it pays off to let him have status because lounge access and priority lines create loyalty and without them, he might choose *A next time and all those European connector flights to Asia would fly empty the other way.

Group 3: Heinrich Hamburg. He lives in Continental Europe, close to a AY-serviced airport that has few intercontinental flights. His work takes him to Asia in J on a regular basis, perhaps not very often but a couple of times a year. For him, AY is the best option time- and convenience-wise, and this also applies to his Asian colleagues who visit him in Europe. After two J trips, he gets Gold. It feels nice and creates a sense of being valued, so it will generate loyalty and Heinrich will take the next two trips with AY, as well. However, it costs AY practically nothing since Heinrich will get all benefits as a part of his J ticket anyway. This is AY’s main target group today, so taking their once-earned status away is not a good idea.

Group 4: Fredrika Fannypack. She is a travel blogger and loves travelling. She might not live in the HEL area, so her travels usually need a connecting flight via HEL, doubling segments. But she doesn’t restrict herself to AY; she gladly buys a TK flight when she finds a good deal. She earns her status more or less by accident, especially if this year’s flying includes a rare paid J ticket for €1200, or even two. For AY, she is not a valuable customer. Taking advantage of the best offers will but her butt in the AY seat quite often but for very little cash. The cost of having her as a Gold will outweigh the revenue, and to have her fall back to Basic would still keep her flying as much as before.

Group 5: OH-LGG and friends. Myself included, and a handful of active FTers. And that’s it – this group is very very small. We fly far too much, we pay far too little and we know how to take advantage of all the benefits and then some. Yes, we don’t bring AY much revenue and the cost of having us as status members will exceed the revenue by far. You could say Group 5 takes advantage of the loopholes in the system. But since there are so few of us, it’s pointless to try to close those loopholes because in doing so, you would jeopardise groups 1–3. So it’s best to let us enjoy ourselves and to concentrate on making money on the rest of the bunch.

So if AY+ went €-based, what would happen with Group 3? I think that's the 10.000 dollar question here. If you want to keep Group 3 Gold, you would need to set your limits so low that Groups 1–2 would increase a lot, even Group 4, which is not what you would want.
Cupart, AhogZ, SPBanker and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Maakunta-Mauri

I was a maakunta-Pena in the past, a very profitable such for AY but then I perverted myself into group 5!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Could it be time for Lifetime Silver ?
Lifetime site:
https://www.finnair.com/fi/fi/finnai...tiers/lifetime

for some reason AY Silver Card imagine added there recently.
Interesting and very obeservant find! I'd say you are pretty spot on. The cards in the old pic had the word "LIFETIME" in upper right corner, and in the new image there is no LT marker at all, But that space is taken by the tier moniker nowadays. The new image is named "lifetime2" so it is clearly not just a random image chosen.

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
And as discussed here already a couple of times, AY+ is to some extent already revenue based with the ticket types.
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I spent hundreds of € in Value upfaring in the past few years. ....
I also see the ticket types as a version of revenue based. BUt Finnair doesn't seem to put much effotrt into them anymore. The joint ventures wrecked havoc to the ticket types and the OTA can't upsell them .

Originally Posted by ffay005

So what are the status members of AY+ like? I think most will fit into one of the following categories. And I think that the two factors any airline wants to consider when granting status is the loyalty the status will create and the cost that will come with the status....
Nice work with the groups ! I am sure AY has done a similar job in finding their segments.

Also, group 5 is very very very small. Even a lot of FT'ers are not in this group.
I am at least not, and I even consider myself as a pretty good (valuable) customer. Not only do I buy mostly J tickets, I also bring in at least 3 other flyers on a regular basis only because of my status.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'm in a way in 3 ∩ 5 (intersection of 3 and 5) Flying to Asia on business and flying too much while taking advantage of the system. while bringing (low) five-figure revenue to AY

The current AY+ fits me, the changes 2-3 years ago brought me back into the fold. Before that I was BA Gold and crazily enough flew often via LHR to Asia in C. I like AY's direct flights and the AY+ programme, but I also play the system and fly mostly ex-EU, no way I'd pay their ex-HEL C prices.

BUT if they make changes that I'd feel negative, I would switch FFP very quickly and probably carrier as well, becoming ex-EU flyer for TK or LH. Even now I'm TK*G by actually earning it
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:37 pm

I would be in group 2 (including a fair amount of not-that-cheap long-haul too).

Obviously group 3 is the most valuable, but it's also not really concerned by the loyalty program IMO. First, group 3 enjoys most of the benefits from the J booking class anyway, regardless of loyalty. Furthermore, group 3 profiles are mostly company-paid and company-policed. Group 3 can use ME carriers and possibly local European carrier. So group 3 profiles are possibly not permitted to or not interested in sticking to only Finnair - just buying it occasionally. Probably AY+ Group 3 is actually sizable only in the Nordics - and likewise AY+ Groups 1 & 2 in Finland.

But I don't think that's how the airline businesses are approaching the loyalty matters at the moment. Both LH and AFKL are switching to revenue based systems, copying the big US carriers, presumably for similar reasons than the US carriers. I think the key point for them is pressure from LCCs.

With that said, it is questionable if LCCs affect Finnair as much as they affect AFKL, LH, IAG and the three big US carriers. In HEL, LCCs are still mostly D8 holiday flights, that compete maybe with AurinkoM but not AY regular. FR (TMP-BUD, TMP-BRE), EZ (HEL-TXL), EW (HEL-TXL too), VY (HEL-BCN), W6 (TKU-GDN) are most exactly strong in Finland-Europe, and they cannot compete on the Asia strategy (for political and cost reasons).
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
I also see the ticket types as a version of revenue based. BUt Finnair doesn't seem to put much effotrt into them anymore. The joint ventures wrecked havoc to the ticket types and the OTA can't upsell them .
Let's see if they will change the whole ticket type system or the earnings based on them. The JV destinations already make up a major part of the AY long haul operations and they do not offer any reasonably priced economy tickets giving 100% points. If they have noticed it doesn't affect demand they might go the same way in the whole network. Then you would have to practically fly J to earn Plat by points (assuming the earnings on AA would be changed at the same time).

Originally Posted by ffay005
Group 4: Fredrika Fannypack. She is a travel blogger and loves travelling. She might not live in the HEL area, so her travels usually need a connecting flight via HEL, doubling segments. But she doesn’t restrict herself to AY; she gladly buys a TK flight when she finds a good deal. She earns her status more or less by accident, especially if this year’s flying includes a rare paid J ticket for €1200, or even two. For AY, she is not a valuable customer. Taking advantage of the best offers will but her butt in the AY seat quite often but for very little cash. The cost of having her as a Gold will outweigh the revenue, and to have her fall back to Basic would still keep her flying as much as before.
Great analysis!

I'm in this group 4 myself. I have to say you might get Silver by accident, but getting Gold would require careful planning (including loyalty, also meaning you have to pick destinations where you can fly OW). A friend of mine (also in group 4) maintains Gold by flying a few longhaul returns with Value tickets and then changing the remaining points.

In the end, AY's network is quite limited and as Fredrika Fannypack's want to see new destinations, you will have to quickly move outside the AY network (especially as the secondary Chinese cities are not really touristic). QR coming to HEL helped getting AY status as they do offer so many destinations where OW wouldn't be competitive otherwise.

Although we sometimes snatch campaign fares, we do also buy more expensive tickets. Our travels require often open-jaw tickets, as we will try to use our vacations efficiently and visit multiple destinations on the same trip. We also tend to travel over the Christmas holidays, when there is no hope of getting a campaign fare.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting and very obeservant find! I'd say you are pretty spot on. The cards in the old pic had the word "LIFETIME" in upper right corner, and in the new image there is no LT marker at all, But that space is taken by the tier moniker nowadays. The new image is named "lifetime2" so it is clearly not just a random image chosen.
If you look on one of the descriptions of the AY Plus tiers, like Platsku for example you will see that the card has been redesigned with "Platinum" moved to the top right and "Plus" written under Finnair.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If you look on one of the descriptions of the AY Plus tiers, like Platsku for example you will see that the card has been redesigned with "Platinum" moved to the top right and "Plus" written under Finnair.
My Silver card, issued last June, already has this new design.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Originally Posted by r2d2
My Silver card, issued last June, already has this new design.
Yup. This is the new matte design where the text items did move around, so the LIFETIME marker lacking in the picture is explainable. For all we know, they may have abandoned having separately marked card altogether. As they send the lifetime card yearly it makes financial*) sense to just treat lifetimers as perpetual renewals of the same card everyone else gets.

The appearance of the silver card in that image could be just because someone wanted to refresh the page with the new card design and mistakenly used stockpile photo with all three cards without thinking about it. But naming the image "lifetime2" kind of indicates the image being a successor. Let's see if they clean it up or leave it there!

*) Finacial sense yes, but not getting anywhere near the full marketing potential of the lifetime status. Having LIfetime cards made of precious metals and delivered to your doorstep by Herr Vauramo accompanied by a marching band and elephants and dancers in sequins would be closer full potential
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:53 am

Regardless of what the "enhancements" are, it's indeed very likely that the ticket types, the fare structure will change - because there was a questionnaire about that last year. And with that, I wouldn't be surprised if the first checked-in bag got unbundled on long-haul - at first, perhaps only outside the JVs. Not only does that seem to be the way the industry is going. But that would enable "simplifying" the (visible) ticket types by getting rid of Basic.

With that in mind, I just hope they don't over-simplify back down to only two tickets types by removing Value/semi-flexible. IMO, Value was a win-win ticket type:
  • It was almost free money for the airline.
  • It was attractive for frequent fliers.
  • Probably a lot of infrequent fliers bought it for the bags, not realizing that they can get away with Light+bag.

Ideally, they'd rework the system a bit so that Value can return to the JV flights too, but not holding my breath for that.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Here is the article. I don't think it is a major revamp. I think it is the silver LT tier and some new or reshuffled perks. Maybe some minor adjustments of the tier thresholds too.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Well, would I bother go to matkamessut just for this, trying to find someone get talking about this new fantasies
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Regardless of what the "enhancements" are, it's indeed very likely that the ticket types, the fare structure will change - because there was a questionnaire about that last year. And with that, I wouldn't be surprised if the first checked-in bag got <em>unbundled</em> on long-haul - at first, perhaps only outside the JVs. Not only does that seem to be the way the industry is going. But that would enable "simplifying" the (visible) ticket types by getting rid of <em>Basic</em>.<br />.
<br /><br />I think it's much more likely that AY &amp; other JV start selling Light tickets to US &amp; Canada. AF-KLM, DL and FI are already selling them from Europe to US &amp; Canada and SK &amp; LH from Scandinavia to US. AA revenue management has mentioned in September that they are considering transatlantic Basic Economy.<br /><br /><a href="https://skift.com/2017/08/29/american-considers-selling-few-frills-economy-fares-to-europe/">https://skift.com/2017/08/29/american-considers-selling-few-frills-economy-fares-to-europe/</a>
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

I think the joint ventures are a bit like a big "wet felt" for Finnair. My guess is that the multilateral agreements are hampering many internal discussions/development initiatives, ie stopping any revamp or a re-launch of the ticket types. Finnair adopted BA ticket types upon joining the JJV and I don't see any changes on that side until JJV breaks up or is renegotiated.
(BTW, wonder what will happen march 2019 when BA becomes a third country airline?)

On the AJV side maybe things are easier - I imagine AA is calling the shots there.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 13, 2018 at 8:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.