Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
This should be only one of them...more Fantastic New Improvements are on the way!
Time will show of course 😁🙄 I am as allways a pessimist when it comes to enhancements in FFPs 😂
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat
This should be only one of them...more Fantastic New Improvements are on the way!
I am sure there will be some real "enhancements", masked by these improvements
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Little birdie told me that one of "Fantastic New Improvements" is the change how the points expire. Apparently, as long as you have activity on your account at least once a year, your points will never expire...^
I wouldn't call it "fantastic", but a small improvement and in line with many other FFP's as mentioned and we should be smarter next week, stay tuned.
But an improvement for anyone with Jr's in the family apparently in the horizon later in 2018...

Last edited by ff_flyer; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

Just noticed that my expiring points are not expiring anymore.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Yes and the section has been removed from the app altogether.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Instead, I as a platinum now has points going to expire soon, for the first time in 9 years. Great change...
Attached Images  
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by intuition
Instead, I as a platinum now has points going to expire soon, for the first time in 9 years. Great change...
I think I have seen this same issue right after my new qualification year has started and these expiring points will just disappear later.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You might be right. I think I saw similar thing once before.

But my membership year is in summer, so this seems not to be connected to that. Plat line told me I must requalify for plat otherwise points will expire so that was not very reassuring. Clearly no grace period for a plat falling to gold.

Regardless of my personal situation, I wonder what they will do (if the rumoured change is taking place) with those who were promised 3 years, regardless of flying. I'm thinking about juniors where they have said "at 18 y.o. your account turns into a regular account but the points will not expire for the first three years. "
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
In FEB18 issue of Blue Wings it is now public that points wont expire if account has some activity. Every activity will push expiration of award points 18 months further. Starting from 31MAR18.

https://issuu.com/finnair_bluewings/...ewings_02_2018 (page83)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I think that is excellent! But I have to say, this removes one of the motivations to strive for Platinum, so I eonder what’s in it for Finnair? But as a client, I applaude this change
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I can see two benefits for Finnair:
  1. Collection of points becomes more attractive for the 99.9% of non-Platinum customers, since it is now possible to reach higher amount of points and get better deals.
  2. Infrequent fliers have an incentive to actually maintain some activity to keep their balance.

As to whether this is excellent for customers, I have mixed feelings. I'm kinda relieved that my points won't suddenly expire whenever I eventually downgrade from Platinum. But I'm also concerned that this will decrease redemptions availabity and possibly lead to devaluation (say, next time the economy heads South).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I can see two benefits for Finnair:
  1. Collection of points becomes more attractive for the 99.9% of non-Platinum customers, since it is now possible to reach higher amount of points and get better deals.
  2. Infrequent fliers have an incentive to actually maintain some activity to keep their balance.

As to whether this is excellent for customers, I have mixed feelings. I'm kinda relieved that my points won't suddenly expire whenever I eventually downgrade from Platinum. But I'm also concerned that this will decrease redemptions availabity and possibly lead to devaluation (say, next time the economy heads South).
I think devaluations will occur regardless of expiry dates, Delta has long had a system where miles never expire regardless of activity (this never made sense to me because if there's no activity every 18 months you are probably not at all engaged in the program or dead) and they get devalued to the point they're virtually unusable hence the nickname "SkyPesos"
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch

This echos my feelings. You will now be able to leave platinum without emptying the award account first. Great!

But I feel pretty sure this will force AY to introduce inflation. Previously, they had a steady revenue stream from expired points. It won't take long until someone asks "why are our liabilities increasing all the time?" and demands they do something about it. And it's not like they are going to offer a tonne of extra award availability or discount awards just to get the liabilities down.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I think devaluations will occur regardless of expiry dates, ...
There has, so far, been minial devaluation or inflation in AY+. For at least the last 9 years I've been here.
They have adjusted earnings and redemptions a bit, but nothing substantial AFAICR.
Last major change I remember was japan c upgrades getting 16% cheaper...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
In FEB18 issue of Blue Wings it is now public that points wont expire if account has some activity. Every activity will push expiration of award points 18 months further. Starting from 31MAR18.

https://issuu.com/finnair_bluewings/...ewings_02_2018 (page83)
The way I read those words, "activity" includes any point earning activity, so protecting point balance does not require any flying.

Now we only wait for similar option to protect tier point balance!! :-D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.