Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by r2d2
In Finland credit cards providing points are not very common. AY+ could launch a campaign with one of the Mastercard providers to promote their credit cards to the general public. Even if you would fly only every now and then, the average household spend would give you enough points for occasional flight awards.
There are 3 (Danske, Nordea, SEB - funny, all foreign banks) different MC AY co-branded credit cards out there in Finland + Diners. What I miss is Amex and of course the perks that even the Swedes get from their credit cards, not to mention the Brits (and forget the yanks)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
There are 3 (Danske, Nordea, SEB - funny, all foreign banks) different MC AY co-branded credit cards out there in Finland + Diners. What I miss is Amex and of course the perks that even the Swedes get from their credit cards, not to mention the Brits (and forget the yanks)
Nordea is now a Finnish bank...
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by r2d2
Non-expiring points and pooling points makes AY+ more attractive for the infrequent flyers. Those who fly once or twice a year can now use their points for award flights and upgrades (unlike before, as their points expired). As a result it will get more difficult to get awards.

It's been clear here already for quite a while that AY+ is targeting the segment of infrequent flyers. The ongoing raffle is another piece of evidence for that.

In Finland credit cards providing points are not very common. AY+ could launch a campaign with one of the Mastercard providers to promote their credit cards to the general public. Even if you would fly only every now and then, the average household spend would give you enough points for occasional flight awards.
I don't think marketing is the solution. Many infrequent flyers have probably compared Finnair Plus and Bank Norwegian's credit cards and chosen the latter because they offer better value for money. Bank Norwegian's interest are sky high, they have limited customer service etc but many fees are lower and the program is very simple (1 % Cashpoints which can be used for paying DY flights). They don't charge annual fees, exchange rate is often slightly better (Visa exchange rate + 1,75 %) and one can withdraw money from ATMs without paying fees to the bank.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
So the webpage is getting a bit of a facelift and also a new page about AY+ improvements: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnair-plus-renewals

And the new AY+ landing page:
When I expand "your points and account" I see that the next tier is the "Lumo" tier. I actually miss in the new view the lifetime points. Seems like they didn't fit the into the new design.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Look out for more changes in April" ??

PS - I really hate that they introduce changes in April, when my membership year changes at the end of Feb. Pure guesswork from here: let's say "Lumo" would be double Plat level (300k) At the end of Feb, I'm close to 400k, in April close to 0, so I'd need another 10 months or so to get to Lumo. Same thing happened when they introduced the giveaway Gold perk. *Sigh*
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
So if my Platinum tier ends on February 28, do I have to worry about my precious points expiring? Just asking for a friend
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Jainzar
When I expand "your points and account" I see that the next tier is the "Lumo" tier.
Unfortunately it does not show requirements for Lumo.Tier.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
This is what I see as LTG.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Right, so nothing changes, but still more valuable. Maybe they should employ a professional copywriter. OR even better, make AY+ even more valuable for Plats, too. Just a suggestion.
They did, however, send different templates to Plats and others. My email had the Plat text, my Dad's didn't. His email included a date in the future, 18 months from his last flight, with a suggestion to fly before that date to avoid losing the points.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

"Look out for more changes in April" ??

PS - I really hate that they introduce changes in April, when my membership year changes at the end of Feb. Pure guesswork from here: let's say "Lumo" would be double Plat level (300k) At the end of Feb, I'm close to 400k, in April close to 0, so I'd need another 10 months or so to get to Lumo. Same thing happened when they introduced the giveaway Gold perk. *Sigh*
In a case like this, and looking at your flight history from previous years, there is no question that they should make you Lumo right away. It is also to AY's benefit. I would call them in April to enquire.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
So if my Platinum tier ends on February 28, do I have to worry about my precious points expiring? Just asking for a friend
I suppose not. My email stated that they will expire 3 months after losing Platsku (if there is no activity). To be safe, your friend should have one transaction next spring and be okay for the next 18 months.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
So... my lifetime point accumulation is missing from my Finnair plus profile. I really hope this isn’t a sign that they are taking it away as a future option. Of course they can’t take it away from anyone who has already earned it, but it would be awful for those of us who weren’t quite there yet.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the wording is a bit weird for Platskus, but it boils down to this - when you move down to Gold, the 18 months rule kicks in retrospectively (!) but you'll get a grace period of 3 months, if you had no account movement in the previous 18 months.

I see only one rare scenario for this 3 months grace period to kick in - make Plat within the first 6-9 months of year N-1 and once you hit it, don't earn or burn 1 point in the rest of N-1 AND the whole year N. How often does that happen?

(Buy one koristeluurappa and save your 6-7 digit points stash for the next 18 months, mo)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I don't see the Lumo level at all. And my lifetime points balance is gone, too.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked, still there.

Let the new interface load, then there's a dropdown menu "pisteet ja jäsentili" at the bottom - click it and the Lumo level is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.