Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by intuition
I think the joint ventures are a bit like a big "wet felt" for Finnair. My guess is that the multilateral agreements are hampering many internal discussions/development initiatives, ie stopping any revamp or a re-launch of the ticket types. Finnair adopted BA ticket types upon joining the JJV and I don't see any changes on that side until JJV breaks up or is renegotiated.
(BTW, wonder what will happen march 2019 when BA becomes a third country airline?)

On the AJV side maybe things are easier - I imagine AA is calling the shots there.
BA does not use this sort of ticket structure for longhaul trips. A comparison for HEL-JFK follows when searching for cheapest ticket on each airlines' own website:
  • AA: Main cabin, Premium Economy, [Business, First]
  • AY: Economy Saver, Economy Premium Saver, Economy Flexible, Economy Premium
  • BA: Economy, Premium Economy[, Business Class]
  • IB: Basic +, Optimal, Flexible, Premium Economy Promotional

Thus the closest resembling model to AY would be IB.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
It is always concerning to hear new "enhancements" regardless of the FF or hotel chain program. Due my pretty intense flight pattern (all in Y) during last months I'm now about 6000 points away from the Platsku threshold. Very positive thing is that my accrual period is until end of September so will be able to enjoy my first time ever Platsku until end of 9/2019. However I have no flights coming next couple of weeks so wondering should I just convert some award points to tier points before next Thursday (expected release of enhancements?) just to be on the safe side and to secure Platsku level soonest...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tapio
It is always concerning to hear new "enhancements" regardless of the FF or hotel chain program. Due my pretty intense flight pattern (all in Y) during last months I'm now about 6000 points away from the Platsku threshold. Very positive thing is that my accrual period is until end of September so will be able to enjoy my first time ever Platsku until end of 9/2019. However I have no flights coming next couple of weeks so wondering should I just convert some award points to tier points before next Thursday (expected release of enhancements?) just to be on the safe side and to secure Platsku level soonest...
The last time AY made changes to benefits and theresholds, there was 3-6 months advance notice.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by remymartin
BA does not use this sort of ticket structure for longhaul trips. ...
OK, my mistake then.

I recall making a not very thorough researh at the time of JJV introduction and found that ticket types aligned with BA. Especially the new ticket type "Premium Economy", which mimicked BA offering except for the lack of a premium cabin obviously.

I see that FInnair now has stopped selling economy premium on AY operated flights, but the two other ticket types offered on Japan, "Economy Saver" and "Economy Flexible", looks to me identical to the fare structure BA is offering on their Japan flights.

But I haven't researched it very deeply and I haven't flown much of OW to japan since the JJV came into existence so I should be a bit more non-categorical.

Originally Posted by remymartin
  • AA: Main cabin, Premium Economy, [Business, First]
  • AY: Economy Saver, Economy Premium Saver, Economy Flexible, Economy Premium
  • BA: Economy, Premium Economy[, Business Class]
  • IB: Basic +, Optimal, Flexible, Premium Economy Promotional
But this list pegs AY and BA at identical fare structures, doesn't it? AY shows the "saver" and the "flexible" fares on the same page, while BA forces you to choose ticket type before searching tickets? BA "Lowest price" ticket type corresponds to "Economy Saver" and "Flexible ticket" corresponds to "Economy Flexible". So both airlines offer the exact same fare structure:

AY: Economy Saver, Economy Premium Saver, Economy Flexible, Economy Premium Flexible
BA: Economy Saver, Economy Premium Saver, (and after flipping the ticket type switch) Economy Flexible, Economy Premium Flexible

Last edited by intuition; Jan 13, 2018 at 1:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by ffay005
Group 4: Fredrika Fannypack. She is a travel blogger and loves travelling. She might not live in the HEL area, so her travels usually need a connecting flight via HEL, doubling segments. But she doesn’t restrict herself to AY; she gladly buys a TK flight when she finds a good deal. She earns her status more or less by accident, especially if this year’s flying includes a rare paid J ticket for €1200, or even two. For AY, she is not a valuable customer. Taking advantage of the best offers will but her butt in the AY seat quite often but for very little cash. The cost of having her as a Gold will outweigh the revenue, and to have her fall back to Basic would still keep her flying as much as before.

Group 5: OH-LGG and friends. Myself included, and a handful of active FTers. And that’s it – this group is very very small. We fly far too much, we pay far too little and we know how to take advantage of all the benefits and then some. Yes, we don’t bring AY much revenue and the cost of having us as status members will exceed the revenue by far. You could say Group 5 takes advantage of the loopholes in the system. But since there are so few of us, it’s pointless to try to close those loopholes because in doing so, you would jeopardise groups 1–3. So it’s best to let us enjoy ourselves and to concentrate on making money on the rest of the bunch.
Good thoughts about the groups! I consider myself somewhat fitting into G4/G5 definition, but at the same time, AY+ Platinum run made me trying to get on AY flights even where there would be more convenient alternatives. That said, yes, I take advantage of some sweet spots in AY+ system, but at the same time, I don't mind paying €100 - €200 more on long-haul Y tickets to remain loyal to AY when there is a room for choice. Thinking of the future, low-value customer can easily turn into a high-value member, which is my case. Take the benefits away, I'm OK with switching to another FFP. Make a real improvement, I'm gonna remain loyal. Long run is what the thoughts should focus on, therefore, I hope we will not see major "enhancements".
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Even if I included myself in Group 5, I'm actually a sort of 4/5-hybrid, too. I travel because I want to go places. And often I travel with a certain destination in mind, but OTOH I might also go somewhere simply because there's a good deal, deal meaning a combo of money spent, travel class and points accrued. That kind of travel has, for instance, taken me to Nicaragua, which didn't turn out to be the most exciting place on Earth but the trip was enjoyable nevertheless.

At the beginning of every tracking period, I decide that now is the time to burn all those points and save money, not caring about renewing status, but when the period is coming to a close, I find myself calculating how many points I would need and if I could justify a long weekend in NYC just because it might take me over the threshold... For me, a MR has so far never been a same plane turnaround but a good excuse to make a trip But I suppose my disease is worsening since I have a same-plane turnaround to DEL coming up, only for the points (Well, if DEL wasn't DEL, I probably would have stayed a couple of nights, too...)
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Courmisch
With that in mind, I just hope they don't over-simplify back down to only two tickets types by removing Value/semi-flexible. IMO, Value was a win-win ticket type:
  • It was almost free money for the airline.
  • It was attractive for frequent fliers.
  • Probably a lot of infrequent fliers bought it for the bags, not realizing that they can get away with Light+bag.

Ideally, they'd rework the system a bit so that Value can return to the JV flights too, but not holding my breath for that.
I personally have found the division between basic and value to be extremely annoying, mainly due to our corporate ticketing policy. As per the policy, when flying economy on a shorter trip, the cheapest ticket has to be selected, even if the next best thing was only 1 euro more expensive. Availability of the basic and value fares is nearly always the same, as they come from the same inventories. So even if I am buying a ticket from a more expensive inventory class, unless it's one of the really expensive ones I always get points for the basic.

Luckily I fly enough long hauls in J to not have to worry about this. If I didn't I would have jumped ship to another program long back.

So an improvement suggestion: Make it possible for a passenger to upgrade the ticket from basic to value (or even to business) before the flight with cash. And I mean a real upgrade which grants the points of the upgraded class.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Trav1970
I personally have found the division between basic and value to be extremely annoying, mainly due to our corporate ticketing policy. As per the policy, when flying economy on a shorter trip, the cheapest ticket has to be selected, even if the next best thing was only 1 euro more expensive. Availability of the basic and value fares is nearly always the same, as they come from the same inventories.
In the older system, you would have gotten either 25% or 50% of meterage where you now get consistently 50% of 1000/2000. In most cases, you are still better off in the ticket type system. But I get it that it is frustrating, but IMO, you should consider yourself lucky overall, if you can get J on long-haul.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Now Silver Card image is gone from Lifetime introduction.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Somebody has been reading FT...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I hope they halve the lifetime thresholds
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by FFlash
I hope they award lifetime based on number of DEL DT trips.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I hope they award lifetime based on number of DEL DT trips.
I am good with any of these options. Would make the program relevant
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by ffay005
Somebody has been reading FT...
Told you so...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
So, tomorrow is the first day of Matkamessut and I think someone said the last time the changes were announced there. I hope we'll be wiser tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.