Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by duvin
What plane would BA fly with 42 rows? Why would you contact AY when you've got an AA-marketed and BA-operated flight?
Yes, sorry typo. It's the AY LHR HEL flight on the 350.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by ffay005
Most times, when an airline agent tells you "I'm sorry, Sir, we can't do it", you should interpret it as "I don't know how to do it, don't care how to learn, and you're wasting my time". It pays off to be persistent.
Yes I fully agree with you! However, there is one more issue here. I think there are 2 main reasons why airlines want to move to a single PNR:

2) Accuracy of the information (maybe some old couple sued some airlines for not providing accurate information in operating bookings) Unfortunately this could happen and could cost.
1) Cost saving,

Amadeus sucks when it comes to seat selection on codeshare flights, and we all seem to know this now... I guess what complicates things is the that most airlines have this services as paid now and even for elite flyers you still have provide some excuse which required IT developments. Storing seat maps in Amadeus is an extra cost too, maybe the airlines try to avoid to pay the bill for codeshares and want operating airlines to handle that.

Similar discussion is here: KL Marketed, GA Operated: No way to do seat selection?

Now, the technical part is that Amadeus has a command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

And now comes another weird thing. I had a talk with AF agents recently to select setas on AF operated flight marketed by another airline. They... confirmed this option exists, they know about it, however, they refused to use that. She contacted her supervisor, and came back with usual 'seat selection is available during online checkin'. What pissed me off is also that she told AF is not required to explain how they do their business.... That was not said rude, but i felt it was.. I will use any opportunity to piss off AF on mistake fares for this.

Anyone who calls next can try this with AY, AF, BA etc.
This is a free command in Amadeus (airlines do not charge for this) but Amadeus may charge airlines for its use, this could be the reason for the rude answer.

Please your feedback here!
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by Keter; Dec 1, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by remymartin
all of which were resolved over the phone. Good luck ^
Phoned them and I've got seats reserved, including the EER on the shorthaul and Eco Comfort on the longhaul segment.
remymartin and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:14 pm

I have just checked in for AF marketed flight operated by AY, and what i see.... is another Amadeus booking code on the boarding pass (not same as Air France Amadeus code)... Funny enough there is no return flight in that booking, a bit weird, i guess it will be in another booking.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Keter
I have just checked in for AF marketed flight operated by AY, and what i see.... is another Amadeus booking code on the boarding pass (not same as Air France Amadeus code)... Funny enough there is no return flight in that booking, a bit weird, i guess it will be in another booking.
The ticket was booked last week if this matters re April 2017 when they were supposed to move to single PNR concept.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
The ticket was booked last week if this matters re April 2017 when they were supposed to move to single PNR concept.
I'm not sure, but might concern different alliances?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
It has been like with AF-coded AY, already well before the recent controversial Amadeus changes with Oneworld codeshares.

AFAICT, AF only transfers its passengers list to AY at the last minute. (Somebody could probably get a good idea when exactly that happens by comparing the AY PNR with other Amadeus PNR). Because the AY PNR simply does not exist earlier, you can't reserve any EMB.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
It has been like with AF-coded AY, already well before the recent controversial Amadeus changes with Oneworld codeshares.

AFAICT, AF only transfers its passengers list to AY at the last minute. (Somebody could probably get a good idea when exactly that happens by comparing the AY PNR with other Amadeus PNR). Because the AY PNR simply does not exist earlier, you can't reserve any EMB.
Right, this could be the reason. I forgot that AF prefers to handle their codeshares via fixed block agreements.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Well, I've now checked in for my LHR-HEL flight (AA marketed, BA operated). 42A is the seat auto assigned. Doesn't seem like too bad a seat, but I was hoping for something more forward cabin. I went to the AY chat, tried to change it but they said they'd have to uncheck me in with no promise that they'd be able to assign a seat even after that. I decided to leave well enough alone. Oh well. I'll check again at LHR, flight seems wide open at this time in any case.
Well finished the trip. I did stop by the special services desk at HEL to see what they could say at the mothership. The woman at the desk was very friendly and did try to assist, but in the end was not able to assign the seat, at least in Economy Comfort for my return AY007. So it's definitely a technical limitation, possibly backed up by policy to try and route people to booking directly with them.

I made sure to check in exactly at the 24hr mark and grabbed what looked like the last window seat in the economy comfort so that worked at least. Still disappointing that this is an issue. I would have been more than upset with a middle seat on this flight an 11 hour saga.

Looking forward to hearing more info on this as others book code share itineraries.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by petteriusa
... So it's definitely a technical limitation, possibly backed up by policy to try and route people to booking directly with them....
The Amadeus requests I posted above shall be able to overcome those. And I look for feedback as i cant test this myself.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Now, the technical part is that Amadeus has a command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

Has anyone asked an AY agent to try this? It sounds great, and I'd like to know if it works in practice.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:17 pm

I was assigned a seat via the Amadeus command, but it never became confirmed: I never got that seat. It simply does not work right now.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by lkrt
As of April Finnair has no longer used a separate PNR for the codeshare flights. This is why the seat selection's been acting up.
I disagree. It has been an issue for a year now roughly.

It is puzzling that something as simple and basic as seat selection is still an issue.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by florens
I disagree. It has been an issue for a year now roughly.
Yes, since moving to the single PNR system, almost a year. There have been issues with OW elites choosing seats before, but only at this point choosing a seat altogether became impossible.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

I was assigned a seat via the Amadeus command, but it never became confirmed: I never got that seat. It simply does not work right now.
Could you please clarify which command was used and by whom by yourself or agent or AY staff?
Was the seat selected showing taken on the seatmap?

Yes, since moving to the single PNR system, almost a year. There have been issues with OW elites choosing seats before, but only at this point choosing a seat altogether became impossible.
The reports here are not uniform. Some were able to get the seats by calling AY.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:23 am Reason: To combine consecutive posts of same member replying to the same member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.