Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Unfortunately, the AY booking engine is quite bad at handling anything more complicated than a simple return flight. And even more unfortunately, if booking with BA codes, it is very uncertain that seat selection will work, whether free or paid. You could, however, try and call either QF or AY and ticket it over the phone, insisting on AY codes. I've done phone bookings with AY when their booking engine fails, and they have waived the phone booking fee in those cases, too.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:28 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by henrus

I'm looking at buying specific flights... BNE-NRT (QF direct) -> 11 day stopover -> NRT-HEL (AY direct) -> 21 day stop -> HEL-NRT (AY direct) -> 2 day stop -> NRT-BNE (QF direct).
Normally I book directly on the airline's website but the Finnair multi-stop can't find any BNE-NRT flights and the BA multi-stop insists on BNE-SIN (QF) and then SIN-HKG (CX)
Originally Posted by ffay005
...You could, however, try and call either QF or AY and ticket it over the phone, insisting on AY codes....

I may be wrong, but isn't this a Joint Venture problem? AY fares to and from Japan usually are not combinable with any destinations outside Japan/Europe, and usually only combinable with BA/IB/JL fares.

If so this could explain why booking engine refuses to get AY codes on the Japan-EU segment, as there is no normal AY fare that allows the wanted combination.

By all means, do ask a TA if they can force AY codes, but don't be surprised if that forces trip to book into C, ie full fare business class. If so, bring your gold reserve.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Might be. OTOH, AY web was unable to ticket a simple open jaw HEL-HAV/MIA-HEL, where one of the flights is JV. But AY on the phone had no problems ticketing it, not even with the HAV leg as Value. I would at least call AY and try.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
I may be wrong, but isn't this a Joint Venture problem? AY fares to and from Japan usually are not combinable with any destinations outside Japan/Europe, and usually only combinable with BA/IB/JL fares.

If so this could explain why booking engine refuses to get AY codes on the Japan-EU segment, as there is no normal AY fare that allows the wanted combination.

By all means, do ask a TA if they can force AY codes, but don't be surprised if that forces trip to book into C, ie full fare business class. If so, bring your gold reserve.
Yeh ok, I'd be willing to fly Business if the price is around AU$5000 which is often the case for flights through Singapore or Hong Kong.

The flights will be at the end of this year and since Qantas only allow bookings up to 5 January I've got a few weeks to wait for now. I'd also be open to flying via Seoul instead Tokyo and I've seen a few KE flights appear on the AY website but most of them are in Business class.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I can find it in J and I don't know your dates, but I can ticket the route of your choice in econ on klilroytravels.com (sample below) at 2160AUD.
QF61- (long stopover) - AY72- (long stopover) - AY71- (short stopover) - QF62
Attached Images  
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I can find it in J and I don't know your dates, but I can ticket the route of your choice in econ on klilroytravels.com (sample below) at 2160AUD.
QF61- (long stopover) - AY72- (long stopover) - AY71- (short stopover) - QF62
Interesting find... I've never head of Klilroytravels. Are they any good? Most of the sites I'm searching on price in AUD so maybe I need to look elsewhere at sites like this.

For those sample dates I was also able to find a result on google flights with 4 different booking options

Book with AY (over phone) - $2119
Book with BA (over phone) - $1934 (with BA codeshares on the AY operated flights)
Book with Expedia - $1902 (with BA codeshares on AY operated flights)
Book with CheapOAir - $2047

this option also appears when clicking on the CheapOAir flight but I've had to convert the price on CheapOAir from USD to AUD using Google rates.
Book with CheapOAir - $1800 (with BA codeshares on AY operated flights)

https://www.google.com/flights/?curr...71,NRTBNE0QF62

My dates will be something like

BNE-NRT - 11 Dec 17 (flexible with this date + or - 3 days)
NRT-HEL - 21 Dec 17 (flexible with this date + or - 1 day)
HEL-NRT - 8 Jan 19 (flexible with this date + or - 3 days)
NRT-HEL - 11 Jan 19 (flexible with this date + or - 3 days)

As Qantas has at present only released flights until 5 Jan I've still got a bit of time to wait and many online booking sites are only accepting bookings up until 12 December at the moment.

If I can't get this to work then I'd also be keen for KE and AY via Seoul but as it appears more expensive then it probably won't happen.
Why does Finnair have to make things so difficult...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Kilroy was originally a TA aimed at swedish youth travel. I guess they are now a vanilla OTA.
It can be helpful to use different aggregators - there are a tonne of OTA out there and they all have slightly different way of searching and ticketing. Odd fares and routes are sometimes missed by the bigger OTAs.

I feel I am driving this thread off topic. Your original question whether or not you can book economy comfort on BA coded AY flights is on topic, but I don't have an answer for that.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
I finally booked a ticket via a 'manual' agent who was very adequate and they confirmed to me this is the option they use to reserve seats if seat maps are not available in Amadeus. So the puzzle solved. They warned me that in such cases the seat can change, but i believe if my seat is taken on a seatmap on an operating flight then all is OK.

Now i understand that AF, for example, does not want to touch an agent issued ticket for seat selection even if this is technically possible (probably for cost saving reasons) but they piss off customers by doing this, they shall take care of this. AY seems to follow a better stance, however, what we see here, still many agents have now idea how to reserve seats without seatmaps, so for AY its a training issue.

Originally Posted by Keter View Post
Now, the technical part is that Amadeus has a command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I have AY issued ticket with flight on AY metal + AY coded AA operated flight. Few months ago when I booked I was able to select my seats on AA.com without any error. Now when I go to AA site all the seat maps are greyed out, and the system says to contact Finnair for seat assignment. When I go to AA site to buy the tickets, I can see that seat maps are open and the seats I have reserved are still reserved in the system (I would assume still to me).

Would AA be able to assign seats if I call them? I have both the AY PNR and the AA one. Reason I have to change seats is that's there's been a schedule change for AY coded AA flight (not the actual AA flight, they just moved the codeshare to later flight that day) and of course for that leg I have no seats reserved.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Furry
I have AY issued ticket with flight on AY metal + AY coded AA operated flight. Few months ago when I booked I was able to select my seats on AA.com without any error. Now when I go to AA site all the seat maps are greyed out, and the system says to contact Finnair for seat assignment. When I go to AA site to buy the tickets, I can see that seat maps are open and the seats I have reserved are still reserved in the system (I would assume still to me).

Would AA be able to assign seats if I call them? I have both the AY PNR and the AA one. Reason I have to change seats is that's there's been a schedule change for AY coded AA flight (not the actual AA flight, they just moved the codeshare to later flight that day) and of course for that leg I have no seats reserved.
AA call centre was able to book the seats without any issue, and now I can see the updated seats in web page as well. Still I can only see greyed map but I guess that's how it acts for codeshares.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Keter
I finally booked a ticket via a 'manual' agent who was very adequate and they confirmed to me this is the option they use to reserve seats if seat maps are not available in Amadeus. So the puzzle solved. They warned me that in such cases the seat can change, but i believe if my seat is taken on a seatmap on an operating flight then all is OK.
Originally Posted by Keter View Post
Now, the technical part is that Amadeus has a command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

Great, thanks for posting back after successfully using the "workaround". So anyone having this issue should ask operator to try "seat wish" command.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
This just keeps going on and on; AA ticket, AA flight number, AY operated JFK-HEL, no dice with the seats when I called AY cs. I just sent DM to their twitter team, let's see if that does any good. This is just so frustrating, same issue day after day, month after month. It's kind of funny when oneworld alliance is pitching for their seamless travel experience and we are still struggling with such a basic thing as seat assignments. And we are living in 2018!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
This just keeps going on and on; AA ticket, AA flight number, AY operated JFK-HEL, no dice with the seats when I called AY cs. I just sent DM to their twitter team, let's see if that does any good. This is just so frustrating, same issue day after day, month after month. It's kind of funny when oneworld alliance is pitching for their seamless travel experience and we are still struggling with such a basic thing as seat assignments. And we are living in 2018!
During the beginning of summer last year I was on several occasions promised by Finnair that "the new system fixing this" would be in place in August. Come September, this issue persisted. I have always managed to resolve this by calling AY, though. Little did we know they must have meant August 2018...
florens and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by remymartin
During the beginning of summer last year I was on several occasions promised by Finnair that "the new system fixing this" would be in place in August. Come September, this issue persisted. I have always managed to resolve this by calling AY, though. Little did we know they must have meant August 2018...
Indeed. I have been reporting this issue over and over again but no one seems to do anything about it.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I had a HEL-CDG flight marketed by AF today. Was not able to select a seat before check in online either on AF or AY website.

Interestingly, OLCI suggested to add my BA Emer card as the FF program (not even possible to add a Skyteam FF) and to my surprise I got priority security, group 1 boarding and even proactive newspaper and beverage onboard. I thought these would not be available under AF codeshare, but was happy to be proven otherwise. No lounge invitation, though.
remymartin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.