Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by veeRob
Sep 19 and the issue still exists, as I have a flight next week on AY metal with AA flight number.
Yup, I asked on Twitter yesterday, and still no news on when it will return. If I do end up with a middle seat on my HEL-MIA flight, I'm writing, not e-mail a real old school letter in the mail, in a long rant about this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
FWIW, I was pre-assigned 24L on AA-coded AY12 (which I couldn't change). But I ended up moved to 23A somehow so not sure what worth ASR will be when it gets fixed
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Yup, I asked on Twitter yesterday, and still no news on when it will return. If I do end up with a middle seat on my HEL-MIA flight, I'm writing, not e-mail a real old school letter in the mail, in a long rant about this.
I will not be getting on the plane if I end up with a middle seat.

Has anyone tried getting a Finnair ticketing agent to fix the reservation by somehow manually changing the codeshare to the actual AY flight?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
FWIW, I was pre-assigned 24L on AA-coded AY12 (which I couldn't change). But I ended up moved to 23A somehow so not sure what worth ASR will be when it gets fixed
My itinerary, booked on AA.com, all with AA flight numbers:

MIA - LHR (BA metal, in WT+), was able to call BA and get seat assignment.

LHR-HEL (AY metal), AA.com assigned seat, a call to AY and was able to change. [this is the odd part to me, how did this apparent impossibility happen?]

HEL-MIA (AY metal), no seat assignment at all calls to AY and AA go no where.

When the seats are open for assignments, I'll be asking for a fee waived Economy Comfort seat if any are left. Otherwise I don't know.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by veeRob
I will not be getting on the plane if I end up with a middle seat.

Has anyone tried getting a Finnair ticketing agent to fix the reservation by somehow manually changing the codeshare to the actual AY flight?
First off, you will have the olci and desk checkin before having to worry about a Midseat. Secondly - have you tried to call/chat more than once to get a seat booked? I've had several codeshare flights this summer and have always managed to secure a decent seat by calling.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Booked AA flights, including JFK-HEL-JFK AA marketed / AY metal. Unable to select seats on Finnair website. Both AA and AY twitter teams said they couldn't book seats. Called AA Platinum desk twice. Second time, she was easily able to select seats for me.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by zebes
Booked AA flights, including JFK-HEL-JFK AA marketed / AY metal. Unable to select seats on Finnair website. Both AA and AY twitter teams said they couldn't book seats. Called AA Platinum desk twice. Second time, she was easily able to select seats for me.
Just tried the normal line, no dice. ONCI only way to get seats said the rep.

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Issue is still unresolved. Booked a flight through BA (BA codeshares, AY operated), and can't select seats on finnair.com as 'those flights are not operated by Finnair'.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Used the chat today to assign seats for my flights and told the agent that I find it unacceptable that this issue is still not resolved after over a year.

The answer was:

I am really sorry for this inconvenince! It's a problem not only with Finnair and many companies in our alliance are working together with us on updating the system, so that seats will be easily booked for codeshares.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by florens
Issue is still unresolved. Booked a flight through BA (BA codeshares, AY operated), and can't select seats on finnair.com as 'those flights are not operated by Finnair'.
Well the verbiage on finnair.com has changed it now reads:

Unfortunately we cannot sell a seat for this flight. You will be assigned a seat at check-in.
So this looks like more of a policy change than anything else. I tried a call to AA to see if by any odd chance they could help. Nope, in fact from what he was telling me from reading from his info on Finnair confirmed that seats can only be selected at check-in. Apparently this applies to business class as well.

Well disappointing to say the least.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It is now exactly two weeks until my AY-operated CX-coded flight and the system has gone ahead and booked me a seat by itself (which I obviously can’t change). The seat assignment has not respected my preferences as it is a window seat, contrary to my aisle seat preference.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Slightly OT - any ideas how to OLCI for JL domestic under AY codeshare? I got the JL PNR from AY, but the JL IT is so bad (even AY is much better) that it's just impossible to solve the riddle. The best I can squeeze from them is my itinerary, but no OLCI - whether I try the international or domestic OLCI page.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: CX MPC, EY Guest
Just on jump on this thread too, has anyone any experience with seat selection on AY, but marketed by JL? I've found my AY PNR but it says they can't sell the seat and to wait for OLCI
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:20 am

Lots of discussion about that here on the board. In short: not possible before OLCI.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:03 am

I'm actually now able to choose seats for the AY-operated CX-marketed flight on CX website! It works!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.