Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Keter
After Amadeus moved to a single PNR for code share flights there are issues in selecting seats for such flights unless a marketing airline paid to have access to the operating airline seatmap and show that in Amadeus.

This only applies when both airlines are in Amadeus, for example, the issue shall be in place for AY op by BA/ CX and vv.
The pair AY op by AA shall work fine as AA uses Sabre and you shall be OK to select seats via AA, however, you need to get a record locator for the AA operating booking first of course.

Amadeus has a very simple command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish

The posts in this thread indicate that not all agents are trained to use this option. It shall normally be the marketing airline who you ask to make a seat wish.
Print Wikipost

Unable to book seats on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by lkrt
I'm actually now able to choose seats for the AY-operated CX-marketed flight on CX website! It works!
I am not able to do this for upcoming HEL-DUS flight marketed by CX. Finnair chat was not able to help either.

Interestingly the seat map shows only 1/6 J seats taken although we are already three passengers. So they don't seem to secretly pre-book seats for marketed-by-other-airline passengers either. It is thus very possible that we end up not sitting together

EDIT: After I had already thanked the chat-person, she came back and was able to "manually" (her words) select seats for us. Let's hope the seats stick!

Last edited by haapalainen; Dec 21, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
This is still an issue

However the Finnair chat was able to sort it out straight away.

I got the impression this is a very common problem for them
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
This is still an issue

However the Finnair chat was able to sort it out straight away.

I got the impression this is a very common problem for them
which airline where you ticketed on?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005

which airline where you ticketed on?
BA- 125 stock
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:42 pm

Okay, good to know, thanks! I think it varies from airline to airline.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Very frustrating as it has been a year now!!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Keter
Now, the technical part is that Amadeus has a command to select seats when seat map is not available (or when there is no contract rather with Amadeus to store seatmaps). It is very simple and called 'seat wish'. Here is the documentation from Amadeus:

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...ke-a-seat-wish
One person mentioned this no longer works, but did not provide any confirmation/ feedback.

Can those who contact AY chat for seat selection check how they actually select seats? Would be interesting to know if this is the above method or not.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:54 pm

Hey guys. Booked a codeshare through Finnair on AA metal. Trying to figure out if we already have seats assigned, or if they're assigned at the time of check in. I know we can't pick them. Travelling as a group of 3 and would prefer not to be split up. (No status)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
As a datapoint: I had AA-coded AY6 flight and couldn't select though any OW site I tried. Seat map was available on RJ but didn't commit the change, QF gave a window or aisle preference which preferred the worst window seats in the cabin. AY chat said they couldn't change partner coded flights, finally called AA and they changed with no issues.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
A few datapoints:
I did reserve AY operated AA flights through a travel agent which is using Sabre. Initially I did the reservation in their online tool and did request specific seats which were available looking at the seat map. I was assigned in the reservation the seats which I had requested.

I was able to obtain the AY PNR by entering the AA PNR at MMB. After this the reservation was visible in MMB and the App.

On AA and AY websites it was not possible to change seats on the AY operated flights with the AA flight number.

Later I had to change my return flight and forgot to request a seat. I was automatically assigned 24A. But I wanted to change to 21J. This was not possible through either AA or AY web site. I did use the AY chat, but the response was the blunt, we can't change the seats because of AA, you have to call AA.

So I did call AA. They said that they can't change the seats on a AY operated flight (no surprise here). The agent even offered to call AY, but he got the same response from AY: "Finnair can't change because of AA". He was surprised as well and said that the AY agent is wrong. They have all control of the seat assignments.

Then I called our travel agent. He said that of course he can change the seat and that was done within an eye blink. I noted that I can change the seats in the TA online tool as well.

What can be concluded of this is:
TA using Sabre can assign the seats on an AA flight operated by AY both when doing the initial reservation (before ticket is issued) and as well later.
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by Aviating; Jan 11, 2018 at 6:04 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Aviating
What can be concluded of this is:
TA using Sabre can assign the seats on an AA flight operated by AY both when doing the initial reservation (before ticket is issued) and as well later.
Which most likely means that AA, also using Sabre, can change the seat, as well.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
This now becomes even more interesting. I just called the Plat line to select seats on a AY-operated, CX-marketed flight. She said "of course I can get it here even though it doesn't work online". Well, she did and it appeared straight away on the reservation and became confirmed in just a few minutes. Does it really work now?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by lkrt
This now becomes even more interesting. I just called the Plat line to select seats on a AY-operated, CX-marketed flight. She said "of course I can get it here even though it doesn't work online". Well, she did and it appeared straight away on the reservation and became confirmed in just a few minutes. Does it really work now?
I am more interested in how exactly this works, rather if this works or not. For sure this is working, just not all agents are aware how to do this right. The question to me which tool they are using and if they all use the same one or not.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
When I used the chat the other day the AY agent insisted that he could not see the seat map for the AA flight operated by AY. He said that this is why he can't change the seat.

This leads me to think that there is some kind of front-end tool of the system that does not show the seat map for the AY operated code share flights. The background system likely works without any problem.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:06 am

Maybe someone might have an answer to this long winded question...

I'm looking at buying specific flights... BNE-NRT (QF direct) -> 11 day stopover -> NRT-HEL (AY direct) -> 21 day stop -> HEL-NRT (AY direct) -> 2 day stop -> NRT-BNE (QF direct).

I'm able to find a price and get to a booking page on WebJet, Expedia or CheapOAir (the latter two from Google Flights) but the AY operated flights have a BA code instead. Will I be able to pay extra to select Economy Comfort seating on the Finnair flights if I book it using one of those methods.

Normally I book directly on the airline's website but the Finnair multi-stop can't find any BNE-NRT flights and the BA multi-stop insists on BNE-SIN (QF) and then SIN-HKG (CX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.