Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

KL Marketed, GA Operated: No way to do seat selection?

Old Oct 26, 17, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

Hi,

I've got a rt flight with KL from Europe to Australia and the last leg of the first flight and the first leg of the return flight are KL marketed and GA operated.
After I booked the flight with the Platinum Service Line (minor departing airport on EU side didn't allow me to book it on the website) I discovered that I couldn't select any seat on the GA operated flights. Ticket is on U class so quite expensive and quite flexible.

I tried to use the AF website, the Plat Service line, the GA website, calling GA on multiple call centers but I've always got the same answer: there's no way to do seat selection.

I've tried to rebook the flight with GA marketed segments, but unfortunately that triggers some married segment constraint (apparently) so I should pay for a M fare basis, which is significantly more expensive

Is there anything else I should try? A note?

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Which Plat line did you call?

Try the Dutch line if you have not done so yet.
Old Oct 27, 17, 12:03 am

Did you try the KL website? On some code share flights it is just impossible to select seats in advance...
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers. I've tried all the possible call centers and websites, with no success. I ended up changing my flight to J on a flexible I-fare on the outgoing flight, 2 segments are KL marketed and EY operated.
I had no problem on choosing a seat on both flights.
Old Nov 3, 17, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have the same problem as OP with VN flights booked under AF code-share. This is J class, revenue ticket (not award). Impossible to pre-select a seat neither on AF nor on VN websites (VN does not recognize Amadeus refs). Ultimate TA line cannot do anything too. I read a TR on flightreport dated 2 years ago, written by a platinum guy and same problem : no one was able to help him. AF doesn’t care, VN doesn’t care and he got of course a “bad” seat at check-in because nothing was left
Crazy when you think this is the same alliance. Plus VN and AF advertise their new JV... Try first to do the minimum and easy things all customer expect and then look for more advanced things
Old Nov 4, 17, 2:54 am

OT but an update on KL operated KQ marketed, it seems you can now select a "regular" seat (i.e. not economy comfort/preferred seats etc.) via the plat line/social media.
Old Nov 4, 17, 2:58 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
VN does not recognize Amadeus refs
If it is an AF booking they should be able to give you the reference for the VN system, whatever they use - right?

Not saying that with that it will work, but it may be worth a try. With that number you could then also try calling VN for manual assignment.
Old Nov 4, 17, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
If it is an AF booking they should be able to give you the reference for the VN system, whatever they use - right?
Thatís what I indeed thought and I asked my PA about the VN ref, but they told me they donít see one in their system, so they assume they use the same ref. But this is wrong as the Amadeus PNR is not recognized by VN (I think they use Sabre).
Old Nov 4, 17, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I have the same problem as OP with VN flights booked under AF code-share. This is J class, revenue ticket (not award). Impossible to pre-select a seat neither on AF nor on VN websites (VN does not recognize Amadeus refs). Ultimate TA line cannot do anything too. I read a TR on flightreport dated 2 years ago, written by a platinum guy and same problem : no one was able to help him. AF doesnít care, VN doesnít care and he got of course a ďbadĒ seat at check-in because nothing was left
Crazy when you think this is the same alliance. Plus VN and AF advertise their new JV... Try first to do the minimum and easy things all customer expect and then look for more advanced things
I totally understand your frustration; I had the same impression that nobody cared about my issue and at the platinum line they even told me that it's "normal" that with codeshares it's impossible to assign seats. GA apologized a little more, but still there was no way to do seat selection.

The funny thing on my side was that KL and GA both use Amadeus and both are in the same alliance, while EY is not in Skyteam and it uses Sabre. Sad.
Old Nov 4, 17, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Andy82 View Post
I totally understand your frustration; I had the same impression that nobody cared about my issue and at the platinum line they even told me that it's "normal" that with codeshares it's impossible to assign seats. GA apologized a little more, but still there was no way to do seat selection.

The funny thing on my side was that KL and GA both use Amadeus and both are in the same alliance, while EY is not in Skyteam and it uses Sabre. Sad.
yes, itís incredible. I have some family members travelling on the same flights as me but on a FB award ticket in Y, but booked under VN code and they could pre-select a seat. But, me flying J on a paid ticket, I just canít do it because booked on the code-share ??? Come-on
Old Nov 4, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: SU Gold; KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Gold
I have the same problem as OP with VN flights booked under AF code-share. This is J class, revenue ticket (not award). Impossible to pre-select a seat neither on AF nor on VN websites (VN does not recognize Amadeus refs). Ultimate TA line cannot do anything too. I read a TR on flightreport dated 2 years ago, written by a platinum guy and same problem : no one was able to help him. AF doesn’t care, VN doesn’t care and he got of course a “bad” seat at check-in because nothing was left

For VN operated flights you shall be able to select seats via VN as VN 'lives' in Sabre.
The issue is purely when both airlines (the operating and marketing carrier) operate via Amadeus.
Old Nov 4, 17, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Keter View Post
For VN operated flights you shall be able to select seats via VN as VN 'lives' in Sabre.
The issue is purely when both airlines (the operating and marketing carrier) operate via Amadeus.
I canít via their website. VN system doesnít recognize Amadeus ref and I cannot obtain any other booking ref (VN) from AF (they say they donít see any VN ref in their system). But I am in Vietnam at the moment (not flying on the ticket I am discussing in this thread), so will maybe stop at one of their agency in town or at the airport and see with an agent what they can do.
Old Nov 4, 17, 12:32 pm
fk2

This problem is known with AF / KL
They are completely redesigning their website to make a single common platform in early 2018
Old Nov 5, 17, 1:34 am

Programs: SU Gold; KL Plat; BA Gold; A3 Gold
I canít via their website. VN system doesnít recognize Amadeus ref and I cannot obtain any other booking ref (VN) from AF (they say they donít see any VN ref in their system). But I am in Vietnam at the moment (not flying on the ticket I am discussing in this thread), so will maybe stop at one of their agency in town or at the airport and see with an agent what they can do.
You will normally see VN record locator, you agent shall look into SSR notes in Amadeus and the flight booking screen in Sabre. Also you always can get that by calling an operating carrier. VN in this case.
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
I have the same problem as OP with VN flights booked under AF code-share. This is J class, revenue ticket (not award). Impossible to pre-select a seat neither on AF nor on VN websites (VN does not recognize Amadeus refs). Ultimate TA line cannot do anything too. I read a TR on flightreport dated 2 years ago, written by a platinum guy and same problem : no one was able to help him. AF doesnít care, VN doesnít care and he got of course a ďbadĒ seat at check-in because nothing was left
The relation between VN and AF has not been that smooth. Hopefully, it will improve now that the new (limited) JV is in place. VN has the tendency to favor its customers (i.e. booked under VN code) as they receive more revenue.
That being said, I find their agents helpful even if a bit inefficient (probably poorly trained on mediocre systems).
It is best to call VN and ask for the record locator. They might have to go through flight list of pax to find your name. A couple of years ago VN was using Sabre. Going to a Vietnamese office could entail long wait.

It is surprising that your ultimate PA cannot find the VN record locator in your booking. It must be there. Again it is a matter of training and I doubt that an ultimate PA has the experience with that kind of software; other skills are probably required.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: