Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
General
Upgrade space is capacity controlled, separately from revenue space in J cabin. The number of seats released to the different upgrade types are driven by a number of factors, but never by the "there are unsold seats in J cabin, let's fill them" policy some other airlines employ. Same applies with upgrades to Premium Economy.

Upgrades now book into fare bucket U, which is also used for business class awards. Note that availability tools such as Expertflyer etc. may or may not show correct U availability as AY tends to offer additional U availability to Plats and Lumos, and this hidden availability is not shown by non-AY affiliated availability tools. Premium Economy upgrade availability is in bucket F, with the above disclaimers applying similarly.

You can upgrade and review the available upgrade options at https://www.finnair.com/en/manage/upgrade.

The searches below very often show zero availability. Very few directly confirmable seats are released in particularly longhaul J. Instead upgrades must go on waitlist, from where a robot processes upgrades from an unknown set of parameters. A waitlisted upgrade can clear in minutes or never, and there is no way to know. Waitlisted upgrades are checked at T-59, 21, 10, 5 days, and at T-37 hours.

Final check most often actually takes place at approximately ~T-38 hours and you will be (most often) notified by email. In case you are denied an upgrade at this point and there is still revenue availability in J, you can contact CS which may be able to upgrade you on the spot or contact "another department" for confirmation. Furthermore, you may contact check-in desk at least in HEL, which may be able to process your upgrade.

You can check for the upgrades upon booking on the Finnair website. Each flight has a separate tab for "Upgrades", showing upgrade availability for PE and J if any exists, otherwise you will be waitlisted. Additionally, you may check your upgrade options for an already-booked flight here. EF gives you an idea of upgrade availability in the U bucket.

Upgrade-types
1. Upgrades with points
2. Upgrades with vouchers
3. Cash upgrades
5. Cash upgrades at airport
6. Complimentary upgrades

Upgrades with AY+ points

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (operated by Norra is also eligible as well as op by Iberia or Widerøe for Finnair as wetlease)
  • ticketed booking in paid economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • all paid economy booking classes are eligible
  • award flights and points+money combos are ineligible (booking class X)
  • you cannot upgrade any codeshare flights
  • It is not required to have a Finnair-issued ticket (although this has now been required according to some experiences)
Cost:
  • Northern Europe (ARN, BGO, CPH, GOT, KEF, KRK, OSL, WAW, WRO) 10,000 points one way
  • Rest of Europe, TLV 15,000 points one way
  • long haul (including DXB, DOH) 60,000 points one way
    • Previously, shorthaul connections were upgraded at the same cost but this has been discontinued as of 15JUN23. If you wish to upgrade a shorthaul feeder flight, a separate points charge will apply.
  • there have been some occasional promotions especially for short haul upgrades (winter and summer campaigns)
Process:
  • When booking, you can check for direct upgrade availability on "Upgrades" tab or by looking on Expertflyer for U bucket
  • once you have a ticketed booking, you can process your upgrade or waitlist yourself for upgrade online here
  • you may also call AY to process your upgrade at a 1000-point surcharge (does not apply to PE->J upgrades not available online)
  • If there is no availability, you can waitlist. A waitlisted upgrade may clear within hours of your request or up to 37 hours before STD. If it doesn't clear, after T-37 you may call AY, use the chat or go to the check-in desk at the airport and enquire about an upgrade.
    • your status is one of the factors affecting your priority on the waitlist
    • If there is no SH availability you can still upgrade the LH and waitlist the shorthaul. You'll pay the same points price even if SH does not clear though.
    • NOTE: If you wish to reserve your seat in original class, select the desired seats before waitlisting. After waitlisting it is not possible to select seats via Manage My Booking, however one can do that via Chat or Call Center.
  • if you waitlist, your points will be taken from your account immediately; if the upgrade does not clear, your points will be returned to you but you will lose any points that have expired during the waiting time
  • your points need to be valid at time of processing the request but they do not need to be valid on the day of the flight
  • When confirmed, you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U (or F for Premium Economy) but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. However, if J is overbooked on your flight, you will be among the first pax that AY will bump back into Y. J rarely gets overbooked, though.
  • as an unpublished perk, you may choose to change your upgrade from a points one to a voucher one by calling AY; your points will be returned to you save for any points that may have expired
  • If you change your mind about the upgrade you may conctact CS and ask to cancel the upgrade and have points returned. There likely must be seats left in Y cabin (or potentially, original booking class) to allow this, and your points expiry date must not have passed.

Perks:
  • Most of the J perks like priority check-in, priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding. However the luggage allowance is one additional piece at 23kg (on top of your existing economy allowance).
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original economy class booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Upgrades with vouchers
Vouchers are given to Finnair+ members upon advancing to and retaining the platinum and gold tiers. You can see number of vouchers, their type and expiry in your Finnair+ account.

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (operated by Norra is also eligible as well as op by Iberia or Widerøe for Finnair as wetlease)
  • ticketed booking in economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • award flights booked via AY+ are also eligible (booking class X)
  • most likely, points+money combos are eligible, too, since they book into X, but we have no verification of this
  • award flights booked via parners (eg. Avios, AAdvantage etc) are not eligible
  • It is not required to have a Finnair-issued ticket (although this has now been required according to some experiences)

Cost:
  • Northern Europe one "European" voucher for a one-way flight
  • Rest of Europe, TLV one "European" voucher for a one-way flight
  • longhaul (including DXB, DOH) one "Longhaul" voucher for a one-way flight
  • LH voucher does not include upgrade for connecting shorthaul (like it does with points upgrades), SH flight requires a separate voucher/points upgrade
  • you may exchange four European vouchers for one "Longhaul" voucher or vice versa by calling AY

Process:
  • When booking, you can check for direct upgrade availability on "Upgrades" tab or by looking on Expertflyer for U bucket
  • once you have a ticketed booking, you can process your upgrade or waitlist yourself for upgrade online here
  • you may also call AY to process your upgrade at a 1000-point surcharge (does not apply to PE->J upgrades not available online)
  • If there is no availability, you can waitlist. A waitlisted upgrade may clear within hours of your request or up to 37 hours before STD. If it doesn't clear, after T-37 you may call AY, use the chat or go to the check-in desk at the airport and enquire about an upgrade.
    • your status is one of the factors affecting your priority on the waitlist
    • If there is no SH availability you can still upgrade the LH and waitlist the shorthaul. You'll pay the same points price even if SH does not clear though.
    • NOTE: If you wish to reserve your seat in original class, select the desired seats before waitlisting. After waitlisting it is not possible to select seats via Manage My Booking, however one can do that via Chat or Call Center.
  • if you waitlist, your voucher will be taken from your account immediately; if the upgrade does not clear, your voucher will be returned to you but you will lose any vouchers that have expired during the waiting time
  • you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. However, if J is overbooked on your flight, you will be among the first pax that AY will bump back into Y. J rarely gets overbooked, though.
  • If you change your mind about the upgrade you can contact CS and ask to cancel the upgrade and have voucher returned. There likely must be seats left in Y cabin (or original booking class) to allow this, and your voucher expiry date must not have passed.

Perks:
  • all usual J perks like priority check-in, one additional piece of baggage (23kg), priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original economy class booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Cash upgrades, offered on website / app
On the app as well as on the upgrade tool you can review if an upgrade is offered at a cash price. The prices vary, and reports can be seen here. The cash prices become available at 60 days prior to departure and may fluctuate in the timeframe prior to departure.

Requirements:
  • flight marketed and operated by AY (or operated by Norra or Iberia or Widerøe for Finnair (wetlease))
  • ticketed booking in paid economy (there must be a ticket number in your reservation)
  • you do not need to be a AY+ member

Cost:
Process:
  • Check the app or the upgrade tool for cash prices (earliest 60 days prior to departure)
  • you will receive a new e-ticket showing booking class U but you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)

Perks:
  • Most of the J perks like priority check-in, priority security where available, lounge access, priority boarding. However the luggage allowance is one additional piece at 23kg (on top of your existing economy allowance).

Upgrades paid in cash at the airport

(Note that according to recent reports, check-in agents are in some cases only able to process last-minute points and voucher upgrades.)

Requirements:
  • upgrades may be available for purchase at check-in
  • flight operated by AY or Norra
  • ticketed booking in economy
  • most likely AY+ & partner award flights in economy are eligible, too, though this is unconfirmed
  • the marketing carrier does not matter, so this is the only upgrade where codeshares are eligible

Cost:
  • varies, expect to pay some hundreds of euros for long haul one way

Process:
  • the upgrade will be processed and paid for at the check-in desk of the airport of departure
  • most likely the above means the airport of departure of that particular flight, so to upgrade HEL-BKK on a CPH-HEL-BKK itinerary, you would need to contact (transfer) check-in at HEL
  • you will receive points/miles according to your original booking class (this may require a retroclaim if earning on other programmes than AY+)
  • Once you have a new ticket, your upgrade is confirmed. The odds of being bumped back into Y are close to 0 as AY will not offer these upgrades if J is overbooked

Perks:
  • Only in-flight perks apply
  • Lounge access, priority security, additional checked in baggage is not extended to airport upgraders

Complimentary operational upgrades
  • usually just a new boarding pass & seat either at the gate, at check-in or even after you have boarded
  • few and far between
  • the decision whom to upgrade on a particular flight seems a bit random but is at least partially dependent on the price of your ticket, booking class and status
    • AY highest tier members (Lumos, Plats, Golds) are prioritised with the travelling party size affecting upgrade priority (i.e. if only one seat is available in J, the party will not be split)
Print Wikipost

The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:50 am

So, the logical conclusion from all this would be that with saparate reservations both uppgrades would have cleared?
Thinking such an early reservation and requests You as Lumo and MRS Kauppias (gifted Gold?) would both most probably be in front of the list…

QUOTE=kauppias;35039376]Just a data point I am one of 2 LUMOs on board. In J there are 6 golds and 3 silvers.

So it is either basics silvers or golds that trumped the upgrade list 🤷‍♂️😁😁

I did Survive in Y, the experience sure does make one appreciate even ay J 😁😁[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by intuition

My money is on the explanaition by SuloL in post 3077 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35037213-post3077.html
The issue is either in Finnais implementation of clearing the waitlist, or how seats are released by rev management.
It used to work, I had a U2 cleared back in December. But what has changed? Continous pricing. 1+1+1+1+1 instead of buckets with n seats. So I think we need to keep an eye on this, especially the "how seats are released by rev" section. Ofc all is speculations based on Kauppias case but still worth monitoring.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
It used to work, I had a U2 cleared back in December. But what has changed? Continous pricing. 1+1+1+1+1 instead of buckets with n seats. So I think we need to keep an eye on this, especially the "how seats are released by rev" section. Ofc all is speculations based on Kauppias case but still worth monitoring.
Without taking a stance on your specific situation, but more of as a continuation of my previous theory, I think your instance and that of Kauppias might not be mutually exclusive. Continuing the guessing work I did before, I would assume that there is functionality to upgrade multiple people too on the waitlist. This would be too difficult to not build into the functionality, as it's such a core component (the components being essentially clearing one seat for one booking, or multiple seats for one booking, and the rest is just looping these over and implementing priority rules).

Therefore, I would extend my previous hypothesis, that the algorithm could work as such, that if the system doesn't find any booking to assign U1 to, but revenue management data tells the system that there's plenty of space in J, the algorithm then adds +U1 to the last search loop, and loops again. It continues shifting through the waitlist and adding as many seats as revenue management allows it, if it can't find people to upgrade with less seats.

This would effectively mean that parties of >1 will never be upgraded before solo travellers. Yet, parties of >1 may still be upgraded automatically, if there are enough seats and there's no smaller groups to assign them to in that 1+1+1+1+1 fashion.

The coincidence with AY's implementation of continuous pricing is definitely worthy of a consideration too, though.

------------

Then, another unknown that came to mind. We don't know how priority on waitlists is implemented between upgrades and full awards. I.e. are they even on an equal baseline, or is one favored over another. This could also lead to interesting outcomes. But I'll disregard this for now, as I would assume that the public outside of FT may not be big on waiting until t-37 to confirm their longhaul flights.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SuloL
Therefore, I would extend my previous hypothesis, that the algorithm could work as such, that if the system doesn't find any booking to assign U1 to, but revenue management data tells the system that there's plenty of space in J, the algorithm then adds +U1 to the last search loop, and loops again. It continues shifting through the waitlist and adding as many seats as revenue management allows it, if it can't find people to upgrade with less seats.
While there is logic to that, it would also mean that the waitlist robot not only is designed to handle waitlist processing but also to make rev. management decisions. Generally developers and system designers want to keep stuff "clean" and not mix multiple actions, because it so easily breaks and is difficult to maintain and extend.

Example: you wouldn't want to create a MakeMeDinner() function that not only prepares and cook your food but also orders the groceries. Sure, you'd never run out of groceries, but you would lose control over procurement. You'd end up with a hefty bill for filet of beef the system ordered while the user of MakeMeDinner() is getting fat.

I am not certain AY developers would think anything through like that though, but I'm still sceptical. My main argument goes like this: If I were rev management I would have vetoed such an implementation. Because the new goal for rev management is to monetize upgrades and having a robot "in the wild" that can release and consume U on its own spells disaster for that goal. Sure, the robot is supposed to follow some "safe" logic but I would still veto it, because if I am responsible for revenue I'd make dämn sure no one else has the key to the warehouse with the gooddies.

So my take is still that the waitlist robot only processes watilists against existing U and that rev management is in 100% control of U.
Rev mngmnt may very well have a algorithm of their own, scanning loadfactors and potentially releasing U and even could be making a call to the waitlist robot once U has been released. But remember that there are steps before that:

1. How many seat will stay unsold with current load, current estimated demand and current pricing strategy?
If answer is >0, next question is
2. How many seats do we estimate can be sold as upgrade
If that answer is 0, only then would U be considered

Don't get med wrong, your hypothesis could very well be right and as a customer I'd prefer if waitlist clearing had some actual influence over number of seast released. A long and/or "prominent" waitlist is a demand that should be taken into consideration. Selleing seats to tier members for points/vouchers is also an important sale to make.
It is just that revenue managent couldn't care less about voucher/points upgrades/awards. If ten seats are unsold and no one is willing to upgrade for money, the plane can fly with 10 seats empty aswell, it wouldn't affect revenue managemant one single bit.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by intuition
While there is logic to that, it would also mean that the waitlist robot not only is designed to handle waitlist processing but also to make rev. management decisions. Generally developers and system designers want to keep stuff "clean" and not mix multiple actions, because it so easily breaks and is difficult to maintain and extend.

Example: you wouldn't want to create a MakeMeDinner() function that not only prepares and cook your food but also orders the groceries. Sure, you'd never run out of groceries, but you would lose control over procurement. You'd end up with a hefty bill for filet of beef the system ordered while the user of MakeMeDinner() is getting fat.

I am not certain AY developers would think anything through like that though, but I'm still sceptical. My main argument goes like this: If I were rev management I would have vetoed such an implementation. Because the new goal for rev management is to monetize upgrades and having a robot "in the wild" that can release and consume U on its own spells disaster for that goal. Sure, the robot is supposed to follow some "safe" logic but I would still veto it, because if I am responsible for revenue I'd make dämn sure no one else has the key to the warehouse with the gooddies.

So my take is still that the waitlist robot only processes watilists against existing U and that rev management is in 100% control of U.
Rev mngmnt may very well have a algorithm of their own, scanning loadfactors and potentially releasing U and even could be making a call to the waitlist robot once U has been released. But remember that there are steps before that:

1. How many seat will stay unsold with current load, current estimated demand and current pricing strategy?
If answer is >0, next question is
2. How many seats do we estimate can be sold as upgrade
If that answer is 0, only then would U be considered

Don't get med wrong, your hypothesis could very well be right and as a customer I'd prefer if waitlist clearing had some actual influence over number of seast released. A long and/or "prominent" waitlist is a demand that should be taken into consideration. Selleing seats to tier members for points/vouchers is also an important sale to make.
It is just that revenue managent couldn't care less about voucher/points upgrades/awards. If ten seats are unsold and no one is willing to upgrade for money, the plane can fly with 10 seats empty aswell, it wouldn't affect revenue managemant one single bit.
Yeah, totally agree with you, perhaps cut a few corners and worded that part poorly. My intention was to convey an assumption that there's a separate process for determining whether U is released (and how many) at those t-37s and the other checkpoints, and that this information would somehow be communicated or fed to the program processing the waitlist, and then the program runs until all seats within its constraints are given out or no more takers. Not assuming that the revenue management input to this would be automatic either, as I believe there to be a good deal of manual work involved with RM, just taking a look at how AY constrains awards on holiday seasons despite empty flights, certain routes, aircrafts etc.
intuition likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would also tend to believe that the process of releasing U is not automatic. One resaon for this is that the robot is supposed to check the upgrades at certain checkpoints. If the whole system were automatic, why would this be necessary? It could be an ongoing process.

Instead, it sounds to me as if these checkpoints include revenue management manually adding U inventory, and then the robot starts processing.

We have also had cases where U pops up but the robot does nothing and then the customer contacts AY and asks to be cleared. Which sounds strange indeed.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Upgrade could not be confirmed is always so nice email to receive So one more datapoint of waitlisting 5+ months (4 pax, including 2 plat) and then no-go. But with 50% success rate I still live with this outcome, however of course value of loyalty decreases if this would drop below 50%.
Helsinki Flyer and kauppias like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Upgrade could not be confirmed is always so nice email to receive So one more datapoint of waitlisting 5+ months (4 pax, including 2 plat) and then no-go. But with 50% success rate I still live with this outcome, however of course value of loyalty decreases if this would drop below 50%.
While I don't know if it makes a difference, I split my current itinerary of 4 into 2 itineraries of 2 pax to improve chances of the wait-list clearing.

However, the last time I did this, I was able to check-in all four of us at the same time, so I'm not sure if we were really decoupled. J was full long before T-37 so no way of knowing how the split itineraries might have helped our chances.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Yeah, definitely as long as family has two plats, 2+2 is likely preferred option but do not know will it fly if other one is only gold. On one hand we got full 4 tix upgrade on outbound on same pnr so, I guess the question is will splitting increase outcome from 50% or not. So better not be poor and book saleJ.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:50 am

Just had an experience that highlights both the logicality and design flaws of the system. I had waitlisted myself for HKG-HEL a while ago. Lumo flying on economy flex. At t-37, the waitlist was denied - business was completely full (not seats sold on AY website). So I board a plane in BKK to fly to HKG (reverse routing of the old MD-11 Asia flights) and upon landing in HKG, notice that one ticket can now be bought on AY's website. Btw I am using AY's website since I don't know how to use ExpertFlyer for anything except seatmaps.

So I ask Platinum WhatsApp about the seat and they say not possible, they cannot guarantee catering so I have to ask at HKG check-in. Okay, I go to check-in about 30 mins after it opens (basically straight from my BKK flight) and they say that someone did a paid upgrade for that seat, so not possible. But ask at the gate. I check Expertflyer for a seatmap and notice 2 free seats, which remain free until check-in closes. So I sense an opportunity, I guess these were no-shows. I ask at the gate, and they tell me I am highest priority for an opup but if I want to guarantee it I should use my voucher (Y is completely full on ExpertFlyer except like 3 seats, so opup seems possible). Since I have a gazillion vouchers and points, I do what I would not normally do and use my voucher there.

So all's well that ends well. Had I not been following seat maps and availability closely, this would have seemed like Finnair being intentionally dumb and not upgrading a Lumo despite availability. However, my intuition is that only the biggest whiners here will actually see any fault in any of Finnair's actions, at least from a business perspective. They denied the waitlist because the cabin was full and sold the seat available at check-in to someone paying probably 600-700 euros instead, which once again, my intuition tells me only the biggest whiners would consider a bad business decision. Then, with 2 no-shows, they upgraded me at the gate.

On the other hand, the fact that the waitlist was ended at t-37 meant that they risked opuping me without receiving anything. If they had kept the waitlist until the closing of checkin, they would have been guaranteed my voucher instead of risking an opup. And without tracking the situation proactively, I would have found it as absurd as my previous 2-class opup on a flight where my waitlist was denied (though that one had a few more empty seats in business, I guess there was a misconnect).
Helsinki Flyer and Rokka like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
They denied the waitlist because the cabin was full and sold the seat available at check-in to someone paying probably 600-700 euros instead, which once again, my intuition tells me only the biggest whiners would consider a bad business decision.
if their perspective is to look at how much revenue they got each day, then yes, they made the right business decision for that particular day. However, I don’t think I am alone when I claim that the whole point of handing out upgrade vouchers to your most loyal customers is to strengthen that loyalty and to bring in a lot more than 600 EUR as months and years go by. That 600 EUR could have cost AY a lot more if they had p***ed off a customer and lost their loyalty.

It is very shortsighted to value 600 EUR today over 6000 EUR next month or 60.000 EUR next year…
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
if their perspective is to look at how much revenue they got each day, then yes, they made the right business decision for that particular day. However, I don’t think I am alone when I claim that the whole point of handing out upgrade vouchers to your most loyal customers is to strengthen that loyalty and to bring in a lot more than 600 EUR as months and years go by. That 600 EUR could have cost AY a lot more if they had p***ed off a customer and lost their loyalty.

It is very shortsighted to value 600 EUR today over 6000 EUR next month or 60.000 EUR next year…
This is where I point out that none of the "I'll reduce my flying on AY because my voucher got denied" has actually credibly reduced their activity here for longer than a few months. Let's see if kauppias sticks to his redemptions only strategy, Ed Size and Intuition were booking AY less than 2 months after being denied.

At least to me the idea that denied upgrades would cause me to lose loyalty will be more relevant when competing programs start offering anything close to AY's number of upgrades.

edit: and the upgrade was technically sold while there was no waitlist (which is a problem related to the waitlist ending at t-37)
esledo likes this.

Last edited by mpkz; Feb 26, 2023 at 7:42 am
Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Well, there is quite a lot of room between "I will never book AY again" and "I fly AY every week and love every minute of it". If a previously AY-loyalist ditches his loyalty in favour of another airline or a strategy where he always books what's cheapest regardless of airline, or whatever else, it does not necessarily mean he will stop flying AY altogether. Perhaps his annual flight spending used to be 60.000 EUR, of which 55.000 on AY, and in future, it's still 60.000 but only 10.000 on AY.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, there is quite a lot of room between "I will never book AY again" and "I fly AY every week and love every minute of it". If a previously AY-loyalist ditches his loyalty in favour of another airline or a strategy where he always books what's cheapest regardless of airline, or whatever else, it does not necessarily mean he will stop flying AY altogether. Perhaps his annual flight spending used to be 60.000 EUR, of which 55.000 on AY, and in future, it's still 60.000 but only 10.000 on AY.
Right, not sure we've even seen many signs of them moving their spend over, other than maybe kauppias who seems to have some crazy spend last year on two alliances

The bigger point, which has been discussed here ad nauseam, is that no airline offers guaranteed upgrades other than ones that sell them with dynamic pricing or for super elites (like AF-KL Plat Ultimate, which gives a whopping 2 sectors guaranteed in exchange for the kind of spend that you can only achieve by flying longhaul J round trips more than once per month). QR is just as happy to offer cash upgrades on flights where they deny QCredit ones.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Without an understanding of how the wait-list is processed, we're all just guessing. I think it's telling that FinnairPlus hasn't shared this information as promised. The information is probably too embarrassing to share, eg the system is broken.

Every business should want customers to understand how a published benefit works. This builds loyalty, which is the whole point of a loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.